Roane County fans

goosevol

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are talking about players of the year, I believe that you can't just go by stats. Yes, the Johnson kid is probably one of the best running backs that Roane Co. has seen in some time. But, you have to consider other qualities when you are talking about 'player of the year'. Such as leadership & team player. At this time Johnson hasn't displayed that type of quality to be considered as the 'player of the year'. I will agree that he is doing much better than in the past, but from talking to players on the team, he lacks the respect from his fellow teammates that he should have. As I stated, if the criteria is stats, Johnson is the man.

My vote would be for Cory Payne from Rockwood. He has had good stats, but more than that he has displayed the leadership ability to keep his team in a close ballgame.

The other criteria should be what a team could do with or without a certain player. A 'difference maker', if you will, on the team. No respect to OS or Harriman, but this year nobody has stood out as that difference maker for those teams. Kingston has proven that they can compete and win without Johnson. Rockwood hasn't proven that they can compete and win without Payne. Let's not forget about Woody at Midway. He doesn't get hurt in the Rockwood/Midway game, could have been a different outcome, surely would have been a different game.

Goose. Enlighten us on your criteria for 'player of the year' so we can be on a more even playing field when considering our votes.

When has Kingston played without Johnson this year. Ans as for leadership abilities, he is onlyl a junior but always seems to get the team fired up while they are on the field. For the past several games the team has played with more intensity and togetherness and not just because of Johnson. Mitch, Popcorn, Big John and several others have also got a hunger to win and it seems to be spreading throughout the team. I don't know what goes on in the locker room, but neither do you so you need to base your comments on what you have seen on the field and if you have been to the games, then you know that Johnson gives it all he has. That fact combined with the stats makes him my pick. Yes, there are other kids on different teams that are quality players and I'm sure someone from their school wants them to the Player of the Year, but I am a Jacket Fan, so my vote goes to Johnson.

1st place vote:Corey Payne, yes I'm biased towards Rockwood, anyone that saw the winning drive against Sweetwater saw something special. Rockwood is a win tonight a way from the County championship.

2nd place vote: Ellery Harvest, work horse for thje tigers. Always fights for the extra yard.

3rd place vote: Chad Johnson has played exceptional, but he was shut down at home by Rockwood's defense.

Edited by MaC RHS

I also think you can't look at just stats, but I do think Johnson has good stats on both sides of the ball.

For Rockwood, I think they're are three candidates... Harvest, Pendergrass and Payne. I think Pendergrass has done a good job replacing Pryor on offense and he is also doing a great job on defense. Harvest is the player that most teams try to stop first while Payne is the glue that holds it all together.

I also like O'Toole from Midway. Missing three games hurts him, but if Midway makes a run in the playoffs he cannot be overlooked. Bray is also a good choice from Midway. He's been the workhorse especially when they lost King and had O'Toole and Woody sidelined.

Normally, I don't think a kid shouldn't be considered because he's on a losing team, but Oliver Springs and Harriman doesn't seem to have that one player that is putting up huge numbers to put them in the running.

I basically think it'll be that one player who makes the plays in the postseason, but I think Midway, Rockwood and Kingston could each do well in the playoffs. Midway could go as far as the semifinals, Rockwood the quarters and Kingston could make the quarters as long as they don't finish third in the regular season. I don't think they can beat Austin-East in the second round if they finish as the No. 3 seed and win a first round game.