bradley wrestling

johnsmith22

I have a feeling that they well win a match and it will not be luck. Bayou Bear has a very good point about how the weight cert. will change the game this year. Remember McCallie last year with 4 really talented wrestlers and how difficult it was to place them in the weight classes that both helped the team and allow the wrestlers to meet their personal goals.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon the interruption of this string concerning Bradley (they'll be great again this year, trust me), but I wanted to add to BayouBear's and Texas23's comments about the effects of the weight certification program.

It is my understanding that last year Coach Blair at Brentwood adopted the new weight standards for his school. As I recall, under those standards he chose to forfeit at least one weight class because he wouldn't allow a couple of his guys to go below their established minimum weight. (Brentwood folks, feel free to correct me if I misunderstood the situation).

If an outstanding program, such as Brentwood, was unable to piece together a full line up due to the weight standards, smaller programs may really be scrambling.

Another aspect of the new standards is that coaches may be bumping their better wrestlers up a weight class or two in order to let a less proficient wrestler participate at a lower weight class.

As I understand it, a wrestler can go all season, up till regions, at a higher weight class as long as he can lose down to his lower certified weight (within the boundaries of the weight management program; 1 1/2 % per week) by regions.

I'm not complaining about the new weight management program. I just think it is interesting to figure out how it will change certain aspects of high school wresting in Tennessee.

Edited by michael.geasley

Pardon the interruption of this string concerning Bradley (they'll be great again this year, trust me), but I wanted to add to BayouBear's and Texas23's comments about the effects of the weight certification program.

It is my understanding that last year Coach Blair at Brentwood adopted the new weight standards for his school.  As I recall, under those standards he chose to forfeit at least one weight class because he wouldn't allow a couple of his guys to go below their established minimum weight.  (Brentwood folks, feel free to correct me if I misunderstood the situation).

If an outstanding program, such as Brentwood, was unable to piece together a full line up due to the weight standards, smaller programs may really be scrambling.

Another aspect of the new standards is that coaches may be bumping their better wrestlers up a weight class or two in order to let a less proficient wrestler participate at a lower weight class. 

As I understand it, a wrestler can go all season, up till regions, at a higher weight class as long as he can lose down to his lower certified weight (within the boundaries of the weight management program; 1 1/2 % per week) by regions.

I'm not complaining about the new weight management program.  I just think it is interesting to figure out how it will change certain aspects of high school wresting in Tennessee.

825393421[/snapback]

Thanks for the props.  It's nice to be respected by the better folks in the state, especially since none of the people in our region do. Still don't put too big a monkey on the backs of the Hilltoppers.  We should be pretty solid,  but we have some challenges and projects as well. 

And why isn't anybody mentioning Soddy-Daisy????

825393248[/snapback]

Hey coach dont get me wrong, i think alot of people respect the hill, i know i do. But if u ask me i think everyones upset because yall have won our region like the past...... forever. But u guys are great and im gonna be working extra hard to get ready for Bo, if he goes 25 that is....

Everybody who's counting Bradley out should put their names on a post here.  I want to look them up in February. 

Seems like that talk always starts about now, which is ironic since nobody's even had practice yet.  I have a whole notebook of quotes that I use off of here.

One of them is from last year:

"Ty Cody always finds a way to lose at the state tournament."

If we could will things into reality by simply putting  words on paper, we'd all be glued to these message boards.

825392906[/snapback]

Yeah, Coach and Turner was overrated!

Soms. Bradley is a top 3 team not 3 to 5. Watch and see. I notice also you and few others have mentioned Cleveland. MISTAKE!! The chick puts them in the top 3. As I mentioned earlier in this thread these two teams and Franklin meet early in the Cleveland Duals which will tell a lot. Franklin appears to be the early favorite. Science Hill ,Clarksville and Farragut will be right there but dont see them as balanced top to bottom as the other 3. It is evident that there is great parity though and any one of these 6 as well as Soddy and Collierville could have some great battles rather than just fighting for second behind Bradley as they have in the past couple years. Warning, get the Bears this year because if you dont, you may be looking up at them again the two years following.

I have a feeling that they well win a match and it will not be luck.  Bayou Bear has a very good point about how the weight cert. will change the game this year.  Remember McCallie last year with 4 really talented wrestlers and how difficult it was to place them in the weight classes that both helped the team and allow the wrestlers to meet their personal goals.

825393308[/snapback]

I was thinking about that today. Could McCallie pull off the same thing, if we had certification last year?