Best match ever

takedown42

It was between a guy named Valentine from Maryville

825406648[/snapback]

Rob Valentine from New Jersey. Followed Coach Elia from Maryville to Carson Newman where he was an NAIA all-American. He was one tough hombre. Now works in the DC area for the FBI I think. Always wondered why his nose was so crooked, figured it was from a fight.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter Batey (McGavock) vs Jimmy Lynch (McCallie) state finals @ 126# in about 1985. Lynch went to wrestle at the Univesity of Tennessee and Batey went to wrestle at UTC. Both of these guys were true athletes and animals that could have won the state at most any other weight classification. These wrestlers appeared to be about 5'3" and probably cut from around 160# down to 126#. They wrestled like Tom and Terry Brands.

Edited by cbg

That first Cordell/James match for state, when it really was a match comes to mind. Also, the first Leen/Lane match last year was great. The best match I saw last year was Whit Dunning vs. Jake Geismar (pretty sure it was the McCallie finals). Whit was down 4-2 (I think) with maybe 4 seconds left. He gator rolled Geismar to his back and won 6-4. Stewart Schay and Beau Faulkner had a classic in the region 8 final a couple of years ago. Kellen Holliman and David Hunt had a great match at the Germantown Freestyle tournament last spring. There have been a few good ones between Nick Marable and Ryan Scott. Hopefully, we'll add some more to this list this year.

Trey Parson's match at the Collierville Houston duel two years ago was a great match. Trey won the duel for Collierville. The dragons were down by 3 going into the last match and Trey pins the guy in either the second or third period. When the whistle sounded, the gym exploded. That was the first time I remember Collierville beating Houston on thier home mat.

Pennington (CHS) vs. Crosby (2003?) in the finals

Josh Dye (CHS) vs. Josh Keller (2000?) in the finals

Luke Sanders (Mont. Central) in the 2004 finals

Loc Tran (Bradley) vs. McKnight??? 1999??? finals (got match of the tourny I think)

sorry, little shaky on my dates and who wrestled who, but if you saw these matches in the last few years, you know what I'm talking about. One I'm sure about: Biggest butt whooping in the state finals:

Smitherman (NWHS) got thrashed by Welsh (Tullahoma) in the 103 finals in 2000. What a chump, getting beat up by a little guy like that.

last years 275 final, my boy big joe pulled out the victory.

825422555[/snapback]

The best dual match ever may have been Hixson (underdog) vs. powerhouse McCallie 1982, with standing/ear plug room only.

Coach Connell just began as head coach after leaving MTSU & his 1 or 2X champion Hixson before that. David Copeland's decent Hixson squad was juggled around to end up with only two matches left and about 5-7 pts. down. Gordon had his eventual 2002 HW state champ-technician drop down to 185 and put his solid (2nd string) 290 lb. giant in at HW.

I was thrilled to see my brother, Mike Blosser @ 165 lbs. giving up 20#'s & win 11-1 to pull within a point or two, and the Vandy football great, Jonathan Smith (185 lbs., with a huge size difference) do his "usual" thing, and secure a win in one of the most exciting sporting events in my memory.

soms

Edited by Sommers

• 2 weeks later...

The second best match that I ever saw was between Greg King of Ryan and Jones from Springfield. Those 2 guys were the strongest 112 pounders in the history of Tennessee wrestling. It was brute strength and quickness at its finest. I believe it was a 7-6 match with King on top.

The best match ever was beween Scott Garkinkle of M.B.A. and Walter Batey of McGavock. Batey was winning by 4 points with 2 seconds to go in the 3rd period. The wrestlers went out of bounce with the 3 seconds remaining. Garfinkle lateral dropped Batey from the center of the mat and sent it to over time.

My vote goes to the 2001 215lb finals match between Erik Watkins of Farragut and Keyonsay Moore of Cleveland.  Moore is leading by one in the third.  He has Watkins on his side and is basically sitting on him for the last 10 seconds.  Watkins was beat.  The crowd counts down the time, 8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.  With about 1 to 1.5 seconds to go Moorse jumps off of Watkins and throws his arms in the air in celebration.  Watkins faces him and the ref awards 1 escape.  The crowd goes wild.  Coach Miller is in disbelief.  The battle through a two minute overtime period with no score.  Watkins wins the flip and chooses down.  Watkins escapes and wins in the OT tiebreaker.

825402365[/snapback]

They were studs. thumb I've never seen anyone break down someone’s arm the way Watkins did. It was Scary!