Brentwood Academy vs. MBA

tastyoats

Does that mean you don't see MBA making it there, or BA, or both?

Both teams have long roads to get there, so the road is tough.  But anything is possible.  MBA did it in 2002, beating Baylor at home, MUS on the road, and then BA in the finals.  Eerily familiar territory.

825411799[/snapback]

I think both MBA and Brentwood Academy win round one, but I think it will be tough for each of them to then go on the road and win at solid programs. As many have mentioned, DII AAA is an extremely level field this year.

I think one will make it, but I do not see the other one there; as for which one, I could make scenarios for either making it or not. Both will play with heart, and I know MBA will be mentally prepared, but they still have to execute. Hopefully the MUS loss was the result of an off night, but it sounded like to me it was a physical whipping. Can anyone provide information to make me feel better about that?

FlyBy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the MUS loss was the result of an off night, but it sounded like to me it was a physical whipping.  Can anyone provide information to make me feel better about that?

FlyBy

825411989[/snapback]

I wasn't there but listened to the broadcast.

MUS did nothing offensively in the first half - maybe 20 or 30 yards of offense. MBA had a safety, and also missed a FG. MBA missed a second FG, but if memory serves, MUS was penalized on the play and MBA got a second life but threw a pick in the end zone.

MUS turned it around offensively in the second half, aided by a couple of big plays. MBA responded with a TD when MUS took its first lead, but could not counter after MUS took the second and final lead.

MUS has a great team this year, and has given MBA fits more than any team in the league. Winning there will be tough (and I hope MBA is focusing this week on Baylor anyway, beacuse they are capable of beating MBA), but MBA does have two things on its side if it gets the opportunity - the Big Red are 2-0 vs. MUS at MUS in revenge situations in the playoffs (1997, 2002), and Coach Rutledge has avenged every loss he's had when given the opportunity for a rematch in the same season (of course, not counting MUS this year, which hasn't presented itself yet).

It's a tough road ahead for the teams without a bye, but I think there's enough parity this year where every playoff game can be won by either team.

Redtwin,

While I understand that holding sometimes occurs and that many line coaches teach their players to hold, I don't see how fudging on the rules on purpose fits with the "GENTLEMAN" part of MBA's motto.  I may be wrong, but I think that Coach Tommy Owen, a true gentleman if there ever was one, would have expected his linemen to work hard and block within the rules of the game.  It can be done.

825412388[/snapback]

Holding on the football field has nothing to do with being a gentleman, and it has nothing to do with our coaches fudging on the rules. We had a very low penalties per game statistic as a team, which was due to the fact that we had a great coaching staff, including the 2 best offensive line coaches in the state. Were we SCHOLARS of the game? Did we combine our knowledge and our ATHELTICISM so that we could execute at the highest level possible? Abolutely. And it paid off. We weren't out there racking up personal fouls or late hits; I think you could certainly make an argument that such activities are not those of a gentelman, but if you ever played a game as an offenseive lineman, you held, and so did every other lineman on both sides of the ball. I think it is a credit to our coaching staff that they made us aware of the rules and how to use them to our advantage. Coach Caudill is a gentelman in every sense of the word, and just like anyone else on the team, if we were penalized at all, we were punished. Our line, however, certainly worked hard, and you'd be hard pressed to find another top 25 team with 3 lineman under 210 pounds.

Edited by Redtwin

Redtwin, do you remember this one..."SLIDE RIGHT AND DRIVE!"

Tackle, for you to question Coach Caudill's integrity is ludicrous. You are essentially calling him a cheater. Coach Caudill is one of the best, if not the best, offensive line coaches in the state. I can assure you that he does not teach his linemen to cheat. I think it is important to be aware of what the officials will call and won't call. If an o-lineman can get his hands in a position that will help him to execute his block and not be called by the refs, then he should do that. Coach Caudill is aware of what is called and uses that awareness in his coaching.

Redtwin, do you remember this one..."SLIDE RIGHT AND DRIVE!"

Tackle, for you to question Coach Caudill's integrity is ludicrous.  You are essentially calling him a cheater.  Coach Caudill is one of the best, if not the best, offensive line coaches in the state.  I can assure you that he does not teach his linemen to cheat.  I think it is important to be aware of what the officials will call and won't call.  If an o-lineman can get his hands in a position that will help him to execute his block and not be called by the refs, then he should do that.  Coach Caudill is aware of what is called and uses that awareness in his coaching.

825413258[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I remember that. I also agree with you 100%. If people read my posts carefully, they would realize that I was talking about John Clay passing down tips he picked up from his college carreer. I only mentioned Edd Caudill when I mentioned techniques and schemes.

Well I'm sure my namesake John-O Clay doesn't know anything about blocking especially after playing on the 1991 Alabama National Championship team. And hey, any offensive or defensive lineman worth his salt will tell you that you do what you gotta do in the trenches. It's not about being a gentleman, it's about being nasty and mean while still being a good sport.