Cut Blocking

Pride30

I've heard a lot of complaints lately about cut blocking. If you are an undersized lineman, it can be an efficient way to block for the pass or run; however, some people may take it too far. Many injuries have occurred because of it, and people are getting away with it when its not supposed to happen. I was just wondering if anyone had anything to say about it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard a lot of complaints lately about cut blocking.  If you are an undersized lineman, it can be an efficient way to block for the pass or run; however, some people may take it too far.  Many injuries have occurred because of it, and people are getting away with it when its not supposed to happen.  I was just wondering if anyone had anything to say about it.

825405703[/snapback]

What do you mean by "cut blocking"?

Rule 2-17-1 thru 5, defines the Free Blocking Zone.

The Zone is 4yds either side of the ball at the snap and 3yds off of the line of scrimmage (either side). The Zone remains after the snap until the ball leaves the Zone perimeters, and applies only to players in the Zone at the snap.

Edited by jimbo44

Cut blocking as in diving into the defensive line or blitzing linebackers midsection or legs to stop penetration.

825405773[/snapback]

If the blocker is on the line of scrimmage, the defender is in the free blocking zone at the snap and the ball is in the zone, blocking below the waist, from the side, or in the back is allowed.

A blitzing linebacker that's in the zone at the snap is a free shot for a skilled offensive lineman.

Edited by jimbo44

If the blocker is on the line of scrimmage, the defender is in the free blocking zone at the snap and the ball is in the zone, blocking below the waist, from the side, or in the back is allowed.

A blitzing linebacker that's in the zone at the snap is a free shot for a skilled offensive lineman.

825405787[/snapback]

Actually jimbo44, you are 'partially' correct. In high school the offensive and defensive player must not only be in the 'free blocking' zone at the snap, they must also be ON the line of scrimmage at the snap. Most blitzing LB's are not on the line of scrimmage at the snap, and are therefore given protection, by rule, against the 'cut block' or the illegal block below the waist (or even a clipping foul). Defensively, if you are within 1 yard of the imaginary plane of the line of scrimmage, you are considered to be 'on the line'. Furthermore, once the ball leaves the free blocking zone, the free blocking zone dissolves... Because of this exact definition, any player in the offensive backfield (including slots and wings) at the snap must always block in front and above the waist. The situation that I see that is missed the most is the 'defensive' player that takes out the blocking fullback by attacking him below the waist........ this is an illegal block by the 'defense'. Just trying to clarify the rule concerning the free blocking zone.....

825405787[/snapback]

That is...unless you play at York. It was called on us on the 2 yardline. The flag was thrown about 1 second after the snap. It had to be on an interior lineman.

The only illegal block in the free block zone is the High Low CHOP block where one offensive linemen blocks high and the other OL-men blocks low on the same defender. This is illegal.

I do think some coaches go way too far in teaching the CUT block but as long as it is on the books, players will use it effectively!

I wish to make a comment concerning the "Free Blocking Zone." People at Oakdale was wanting to know what the rule was on cutting linebackers by offensive linemen on running plays when the linebacker was not blitzing but simply going to the football. Rule 2-17-1 says that the "rectangular area extending laterally 4 yards either side of the spot of the snap and 3 yards behind each line of scrimmage..." Does the word "behind" mean behind the offensive line or behind the defensive line or both. Can someone explain this to me?