Cut Blocking

Pride30

Something to think about. If there is a problem with cut blocking (hitting below the waist) Should there not then be a penality for a Corner or saftey who tackles a runningback below the waist. I as many of you have probably seen many corners who have dived into the shins or anckles of bigger running backs. This to me is just as dangerous as a lineman putting his helment on someones thigh.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, i'm against cut blocking, I havea torn PCL and am out for this season. I'll be back for my senior year next year, one good cut block could take me out for the season. I can see how it's a good tool for smaller lineman, but it can be devistating if not used correctly. I've seen some quality guys be sidelined from these blocks takin out their knees. I don't think the only way to stop a blitzing LB is to dive at his knees, and the other guy was talkin about dive at their jewels, that's not how the gameis supposed to be played. your out there to play and win with your team, not to try to seriously injure your opponent. I think the cut block might just be a little to dangeruos for HS Ball.

Something to think about.  If there is a problem with cut blocking (hitting below the waist)  Should there not then be a penality for a Corner or saftey who tackles a runningback below the waist.  I as many of you have probably seen many corners who have dived into the shins or anckles of bigger running backs.  This to me is just as dangerous as a lineman putting his helment on someones thigh.

825406364[/snapback]

Cut blocking is not tackling. Two different things!

Cut blocking is not tackling. Two different things!

825406445[/snapback]

I agree it is two different things. But if a lineman can not cut down field to block why is a corner allowed to tackle below the waist. If oakdale had lost a RB to a corner diving at his feet would it then have been ok?

I don't think the rule about having to be in the box works anymore. I'm pretty sure the man has to be on the line of scrimage for you to cut someone. For the past couple years I've been the smallest linemen on my offensive line (120 lbs in 8th, 145 in 9th) and in 8th I thought I would be useless if I couldn't cut block, but this year when I started cuttin again, I started gettin flagged and the ref explained later that it was a new rule and that he has to be on the line. So I didn't cut hardly any the rest of the season and did just fine, just STAY LOW AND DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE.

If your good enough, you'll just push down the lineman and get over him, its a matter of how good the defending player is...

825408914[/snapback]

On a 3 step pass its hard to get your hands up to block the ball. Isnt that the primary time the cut block is used? Therefore it is still effective.