DB INDIANS VS SODDY DAISY

ArtVandalay

Did he coach in Georgia? You say "retired"... is there something hidden in that or did he think his coaching days were over, then had a change of heart?

825421998[/snapback]

He "retired" from Red Bank after the 2001 season. (Gerald Riggs' senior season) He was then the coach for Dade County in Georgia for the 2002 and 2003 seasons. Obviously he is at SD this year. For those of you who may be unaware, Soddy and Red Bank are close in proximity and are heated rivals; so it was clearly a strange situation the first game of this season when he led the Trojans onto the field, Tom Weathers field, against the school he coached for something like 31 years. Sort of like a Rick Pitino to Louisville type of situation.

That's about all I know about the situation; someone else who knows more may have to fill in some gaps. I guess the "retired" reference may be to the fact that he drew retirement income from Tennessee while he was coaching in Georgia. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Its turned out well for Soddy; he is a great coach. As a former player, I certainly wish I had the opportunity to play for him.

Best of luck to both teams Friday night. Go Trojans.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes he coached in georgia for like 2 years and came to soddy after coach ryan left for munford after last season. he's been a great addition to soddy's program.

DRDB, i don't believe Gerald ever played linebacker in high school, consistently that is. i know he played quite a bit of safety and was dang good. i could be wrong about that game cuz i wasn't there but i know he didn't play it often, if at all.

He "retired" from Red Bank after the 2001 season. (Gerald Riggs' senior season)  He was then the coach for Dade County in Georgia for the 2002 and 2003 seasons.  Obviously he is at SD this year.  For those of you who may be unaware, Soddy and Red Bank are close in proximity and are heated rivals; so it was clearly a strange situation the first game of this season when he led the Trojans onto the field, Tom Weathers field, against the school he coached for something like 31 years.  Sort of like a Rick Pitino to Louisville type of situation. 

That's about all I know about the situation; someone else who knows more may have to fill in some gaps.  I guess the "retired" reference may be to the fact that he drew retirement income from Tennessee while he was coaching in Georgia.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Its turned out well for Soddy; he is a great coach.  As a former player, I certainly wish I had the opportunity to play for him.

Best of luck to both teams Friday night.  Go Trojans.

825422053[/snapback]

He also lost his wife that year. I think that had a lot to do with the "retirement".

G. Riggs Jr played LB all night against DB that year in the semis and played it well... great ball game in a driving rain storm....water standing all over the field. That is Coach Weathers only win over Coach Clark. DB had won the prior two meetings.

Be an interesting game Friday night.

Coach Weathers is a great coach, but this is his first year in the Soddy program. Regardless, I'll take my chances with Coach Clark and his staff against anybody, anytime.

DB wins this game. Their qb will have an outstanding game. Watch out for their soph lb. He is very good and just a soph.

825422208[/snapback]

Your right man, Pappas is a great linebacker who only gets better every game we play............ as long as he doesn't hurt himself jumping around in the locker-room..........

Edited by DRDB

Thanks Trojan fans for the info on Coach Weathers. We don't get Chatty news in North East TN. Sorry to hear he lost his wife, and that may very well have been the reason to leave Red Bank. It appears like Soddy Daisy came out smelling like a rose when they picked up a quality coach, from your biggest Rival, Red Bank.

That is good stuff.

Graham Clark is a fine coach, in his 12th season as Head Coach of DB. He is 9-5 against Oak Ridge, I challange anyone to claim that kind of success against the Wildcats, any era. G Clark is also 16-5 in Playoff Home games. Note that is about 70%, not quiet up to his 83% overall record. But competition is very tough in the playoffs. As this year will show. DB got no break in being the Region 1 #1 Seed, they played Ooltewah in the 1st round and now have to take on Soddy Daisy. Both of those teams are Top 10 in the State 5A and are for sure better than at least 4 or 5 #1 Seeds across the State 5A. Lucky DB, if they can pull out the victory, they get Oak Ridge on the ROAD, another top 5 Team. Tough road to hoe for sure.

Wow,,,, this string sure is going better than the DB vs Ooltewah string.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

Edited by ArtVandalay