Heritage and W.B. dropped Alcoa!

HHS5552

When I first heard the rumors of this move to drop Alcoa, I gave it some thought.

I can not blame WB or HHS for dropping Alcoa, because like others have said there is nothing to gain by these programs by playing this game. The thought that these coaches are "Scared" of Alcoa is ridiculous! Thinking Alcoa will be better next year is like counting your eggs before your chickens have hatched! Given every kids returns maybe, but Alcoa is nothing to fear. Someone said Reid was looking to add Oak Ridge. This is silly, why would he want two loses every year on his schedule? If there is a team that a program should drop simply because they are tough, would clearly be Maryville, not Alcoa. Maryville is 4A and will be 5A in a few years; it makes sense to keep a good 4A team more than a good 2A team. I have heard some think that Alcoa has taken on the reputation of a team that takes pride in running up the score on teams that are clearly defeated early. Very un-classily if true. I do think the late scoring in the Heritage game had something to do with decision. Please don't try to tell me these are all freshman, Lindsey has padded his stats late in a few games. Coaches call not Lindsey’s, the kid just runs when called to do so.

To rebuild a program in any sport a coach has to get the schools students to buy into the program, take pride in it and make the kids who come out for the teams believe they can be competive if they work hard and get a few breaks. WB and Heritage have never been big winners but given the HS players the county has year after year they should be. Maryville, Alcoa and Greenback are all winners at different levels and many of the same kids play with each other at the middle and pee-wee levels in various sports. Believing you can win is a big part of any sport, thats why we play the games.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard some think that Alcoa has taken on the reputation of a team that takes pride in running up the score on teams that are clearly defeated early.  Very un-classily if true.  I do think the late scoring in the Heritage game had something to do with decision.  Please don't try to tell me these are all freshman, Lindsey has padded his stats late in a few games.  Coaches call not Lindsey’s, the kid just runs when called to do so. 

825451863[/snapback]

FBE,

1) Those are strong accusations. Do you have proof or first-hand knowledge of those accusations? Your dislike for Alcoa is evident.

2) If Rewis dropped Alcoa because he thinks Alcoa ran the score up, all I can say is......wah...wah...wah! Who's responsibility is it to stop them?

In an interview years ago Bobby Bowden (Virginia) was asked what he thought about Joe Paterno (Penn State) running the score up on him in a shelacking. This is the best response I have ever heard. Bowden's response was, "It is not Coach Paterno's responsibility to hold the score down. It is our responsibility to stop them!" Now there is a man talking!

3) By dropping Alcoa, the message I hear is that if you face adversity it is okay to QUIT!

4) I hate to see these traditional games go away.

Good luck Heritage and William Blount! I hope it works out for you. I truely wish you success.

FBE,

Your a joke! Alcoa running up the score? Go look at the scoring stats BY QTR!

In the HHS - Alcoa game, HHS had most all their starters in the game. Alcoa was playing the 2-3 string players. Fr. Quarterback, Cobb simply tucked the ball and ran. It IS GAME EXPERIENCE. PERIOD! When you don't have the depth of Marville, you need ANY chance to get backups that EXPERIENCE.

I'm surprised your not whinning for Maryville to drop Alcoa.............

Bottom line......I'm tried of your NEGITIVE post against Alcoa.

Go Alcoa & Maryville.

-BlountCountySportsFan

Mr. Abbott - I agree with your statement that you must play the best talent in order to make yourself better; however, Alcoa has a great foundation of football already built, Heritage does not (no disrespect to the Heritage fans). They have to start winning in order to be able to pull that talent in to play against the better competition. We, outside of Heritage High School, must realize that there is not much enthusiasm in the school for Football. Most of the support goes to the girls basketball program. They have got to start building success, but you can not do that by going to a gun fight with a knife. No matter how big you are (Heritage 5A) most of the time the gun will win no matter how small the guy holding it is (Alcoa 2A). I have only been coaching for three years now but I have had the privaledge of coaching two summer baseball teams to two World Series births. The first two years we played competition that was equal to our own level to build confidence and skill. The following two years we played teams from all over the southeast and posted to great seasons. This is not because of my coaching, or because we brought talent in from all over the state. It was a few guys from Seymour and Greenback and Alcoa that had confidence and because of a great coaching staff. That is what it is going to take at Heritage. Hopefully the coaching staff in place. Now they must build confidence, character and attitude, and it is hard to do this with a 0-10, 1-9 season. Anyway, I do agree with you about the competition level, but Heritage is still a few years away from that.

FBE,

Your a joke! Alcoa running up the score? Go look at the scoring stats BY QTR!

In the HHS - Alcoa game, HHS had most all their starters in the game. Alcoa was playing the 2-3 string players. Fr. Quarterback, Cobb simply tucked the ball and ran. It IS GAME EXPERIENCE. PERIOD! When you don't have the depth of Marville, you need ANY chance to get backups that EXPERIENCE.

I'm surprised your not whinning for Maryville to drop Alcoa.............

Bottom line......I'm tried of your NEGITIVE post against Alcoa.

Go Alcoa & Maryville.

-BlountCountySportsFan

825451914[/snapback]

First and foremost, I don't post for your approval. If you think I dislike Alcoa, you are simply wrong. What I did say was "Some have said" Not I, Sir. 9th grade QB or not, less than 25 seconds after a sound beating, you tell your kid to take a knee. Have you forgotten there are kids on the other team who also love the game and have self-respect? No question go out to win and win big but remember they are all kids. If a coach has to have a teaching cert, that makes him a teacher first and a coach second! Every coach needs to show good sportsmanship and class at every opportunity. Scouring on a team late in a game that has not won a game while you enjoy a comfortable lead is simply classless. The HS game does not compare to a college team looking to build ratings for big bowl pay-offs. Like I said, before I wish the county games would stay the same but sometimes a coach needs to do what he feels is good for his program, not what is good for another.

By the way good luck to Alcoa vs. Lipscomb, I hope they have another bus ride to the Nashville area next Friday! And for my Rebel’s,……………Well you know.

Ok enough Heritage and Caoch Rewis bashing. For everyone on here that say the only way to turn around a program is to play better competition you are wrong. I played for Coach Rewis for two years at Fairview, he is a great man and coach. He knows what it takes for a team that hasn't won in a long time to believe in his system. Here is an example. He came to Fairview in the nine years before we were 19-71 with no playoff app. In the four years he was at Fairview he won 20 games, had 3 straight playoff app. and won the school's 1st playoff game since 1979. He also coached 3 straight 1,000 yard rushers incl. 2,000 lus yard rusher and Mr. Football Finalist Aaron Cothran. He left that program in great shape and this year they won the region for the 1st time since 1991. I say he knows how to turn a program around. He wouldn't dodge a good team but he is doing what is necessary to turn Heritage into a winning program. If you don't like that get over it, but when Heritage starts winning don't be surprised.

FBE,

1) Those are strong accusations. Do you have proof or first-hand knowledge of those accusations? Your dislike for Alcoa is evident.

2) If Rewis dropped Alcoa because he thinks Alcoa ran the score up, all I can say is......wah...wah...wah! Who's responsibility is it to stop them?

In an interview years ago Bobby Bowden (Virginia) was asked what he thought about Joe Paterno (Penn State) running the score up on him in a shelacking. This is the best response I have ever heard. Bowden's response was, "It is not Coach Paterno's responsibility to hold the score down. It is our responsibility to stop them!" Now there is a man talking!

3) By dropping Alcoa, the message I hear is that if you face adversity it is okay to QUIT!

4) I hate to see these traditional games go away.

Never been stated any better. thumb

Good luck Heritage and William Blount! I hope it works out for you. I truely wish you success.

825451900[/snapback]