Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

FBEMeritus

It was a great game. Two great defenses going head to head.

I watched the tape and was impressed by the way the front 7 played for Maryville. I was impressed with Melrose's secondary. Probably the best secondary I ever seen.

Another thing I noticed is seeing the legendary Rebelraider on TV hearing his helmet. I may ask him for his autograph when I see him at a basketball game this year. :rolleyes:

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FBEMeritus

It was a great game. Two great defenses going head to head.

I watched the tape and was impressed by the way the front 7 played for Maryville. I was impressed with Melrose's secondary. Probably the best secondary I ever seen.

Another thing I noticed is seeing the legendary Rebelraider on TV hearing his helmet. I may ask him for his autograph when I see him at a basketball game this year. :lol:

825477012[/snapback]

Just think Ron ... the AP voters didn't think that anybody in the Melrose secondary rated to be listed on the All-Star team. Not even a honorable mention. Not one.

kwc

My supervisor went to the State Title game. He said that Kenyatta Fullilove could start for UT right now. UT should go after that young man right now. He will knock your head off and that interception he had was a great play. In the other games Maryville played that would have been a touchdown. Fullilove leaped up and caught that ball.

No way does Maryville lose in a second matchup....we run the option down their throats, kick field goals when appropriate and beat Melrose by 14...at least.  Melrose showed what they have...it wouldn't change much.  That's not a slight towards Melrose, that's just facts.

825476638[/snapback]

You don't think Melrose would prepare more for the option if there was going to e a repeat matchup?

This is taking on mythical proportions.

#8 start for UT...seriously now, on second thought maybe he could, but then again who couldn't. If our QB has a normal day and we do a little better job on the blitz we school them.

Seriously, they were good on he run. what routes did they cover well, if they could not jam the receiver at the line? Sideline and slants: Jenkins and Clement were open.

Middle: Clement was open..just keep the ball down and its TD.

Childs beat them all day on the corners...# 8 interception was on an underthrown ball.. Childs has them beat for Six.

Second half.....we ran the football because they could not stop us.

I would take the 98, 2001-2 secondary's from Maryville anyday over this years Melrose's.

Their biggest hits were the two hits on strung out receivers and on special teams. Ever watch Tanner Caylor and company on our special teams.

Maryville is better all the way around. :lol:

I don't know about all of what MenInBlack said but I can tell you catching a ball over the middle is not for the faint of heart. Melrose did a great job making Maryville’s receiving corp. hear foot-steps all night. I would agree Cade was off on his passing game and it was clearly not his best effort. Maryville's back field could have done a better job at picking up those stunts and blitz's and maybe this would have given Cade more time to spot those open receivers, who were open at times. But make no mistake Cade demonstrated a clinic of how a QB keeps from beating his team. For his leadership and foresight to tuck and run the senior had a great game over all and was clearly a key factor for moving the ball.

Can't say enough about those kids on the front seven. If Voto moves to Smith's position next year, we lost little up front. Voto, Killebrew, Tucker, Cable, Lawhon, Valentine and Kimsey will all be seniors next year and if the work as hard as previous years will be bigger and stronger than any Rebel team in recent memory.

I also see Miranda, Morton and Caylor getting plenty of snaps as well on the D. Biggest question is in the secondary. Shiver is young and Maples has great speed but I see some heated competition coming there. The front seven will have to work hard or there are a few underclassmen moving to re-load or replace them. All a good problem to have.

you didn't mention Josh Smith there FBEmeritus , isn't he going to be a senior also ?? or is he just a sophmore right now ?? i think he will play a key role on the defensive line next year and wonder if they might take a look at him on the offensive side also .

Edited by pepvol

This is taking on mythical proportions. 

#8 start for UT...seriously now, on second thought maybe he could, but then again who couldn't. If our QB has a normal day and we do a little better job on the blitz we school them.

Seriously, they were good on he run. what routes did they cover well, if they could not jam the receiver at the line? Sideline and slants: Jenkins and Clement were open.

Middle: Clement was open..just keep the ball down and its TD.

Childs beat them all day on the corners...# 8 interception was on an underthrown ball.. Childs has them beat for Six.

Second half.....we ran the football because they could not stop us.

I would take the 98, 2001-2 secondary's from Maryville anyday over this years Melrose's.

Their biggest hits were the two hits on strung out receivers and on special teams. Ever watch Tanner Caylor and company on our special teams.

Maryville is better all the way around. <_<

825477802[/snapback]

Please. They got their heads taken off coming across the middle. Melrose wouldnt

let you off the ball..BECAUSE you couldnt get off the ball. You got off once and got a prayer from God and caught the fade. Excellent interception though by Kenyatta.

Edited by westtn2004state

you didn't mention Josh Smith there FBEmeritus , isn't he going to be a senior also ?? or is he just a sophmore right now ?? i think he will play a key role on the defensive line next year and wonder if they might take a look at him on the offensive side also .

825477864[/snapback]

Oh, yes I did make a mistake at leaving L'l Simitty off. He is very strong and will play a big factor on that D line as he did this year. Thanks for correcting my oversite. I know there are others who played key roles I may have forgotten but it is purely an honest mistake.

Team game, all contribute to make a winner.

Please. They got their heads taken off coming across the middle. Melrose wouldnt

let you off the ball..BECAUSE you couldnt get off the ball. You got off once and got a prayer from God and caught the fade. Excellent interception though by Kenyatta.

825478147[/snapback]

now we only won because of divine intervention ...... :o ..... maybe Gerry's prayers for us were heard after all !! :D