Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is too short for the qb position if you ask me. Melrose should implement the option into their offense they are athletic enough to do it.

825472975[/snapback]

Gerry,

I watched Melrose play many times this year.....I happpen to agree with you about Melrose's QB dilema: Madison is too short to be QB. Yet, I believe that he is fully capable of leading Melrose to the 4A GOLD BALL next year...if--IF the offense is tweaked a little bit!!

Melrose doesn't NECESSARILY need to change QB's or junk its spread offense in favor of an option. In fact, the spread seems to very suitable, given Melrose's dizzing array of offensive playmakers. They just need to incorporate more QB running plays (option would be good), and short passes, IMO--assuming they're gonna' keep Madison @ QB next year! Afterall, Madison did lead Melrose to the 4A title game and, very nearly, the gold ball!

Melrose lost only 1 game all year (by only 1 pt !!)....this is why I don't see a problem keeping Madison @ QB. No need to overhaul the offense. Nothing is really broken...not really.

That said, Melrose coaches MUST face the fact that Madison is a better scrambling QB, than a passing QB. His lack of height inhibits his ability to consistently find open receivers (this was painfully OBVIOUS, vs. Maryville). He's definitely not a drop-back, pocket passer. He's most effective as a QB when he's on the run, moving around finding open running/passing lanes. Thus, if they're gonna' keep him @ QB, then need to tweak their offense to utlize Madison's best assest, while minimizing his liabilities.

Gerry, here's a bit of irony for you: Melrose's offense was NOTICEABLY more potent, with Wilson (backup QB/starting WR) at QB!! This was very clear for all to see, when Wilson filled in for an ailing Madison (35-0 win vs. Ridgeway), 3 or 4 weeks ago. Simply put, Wilson is a MUCH better passer!

Now, let me set the record strait--this is NOT a knock on Madison! Madison was an effective QB for Melrose! I've got NO problem with leaving Madison @ QB. I'm simply pointing out MY observations. In fact, Madison and Wilson both bring something positive to the position. So, you just can't go wrong with either guy. Wilson just happens to be a more natural QB--he's taller, a more gifted passer, has a stronger arm..and can scramble!

Here is what Melrose NEEDS to do: FIND A KICKER! Quick. Fast. In a hurry!

--TraderB

Edited by TraderB

You would know more than I do, but the QB looked like the problem last week. He couldnt see the open recievers down field. He does thread the needle very well though. I was just shocked because the past times I have seen Melrose play, they were throwing the ball very well.

825472880[/snapback]

Different coach with an entirely different philosophy on life and on football, from all I've heard. Tim Thompson was all about the flash. He didn't want to beat you, he wanted to make you go cry to mommy at halftime...and his teams were pretty good about making that happen, especially via throwing like crazy.

Ingram is more of a low-key let your actions speak for yourself guy, and his teams show that. Didn't see any showboating, they run a somewhat conventional offense, despite being in spread formations. Let your actions speak for yourself, and make sure those actions hit hard.

you are forgetting something about them running the option gerry.  you have to have a line to do that, and melrose's line just wouldnt be able to cut it.

825472994[/snapback]

Not for the speed-option game, you don't. You just need a reasonably mobile QB and a good HB, and do they ever have both.

Their line isn't exactly bad, anyway.