Best Receivers in TSSAA history

PrideofDixie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best I've seen in person from the Chattanooga area was Cory Simpson, Red Bank '90-'91 school year, then MTSU. I saw Adarious Bowman from Notre Dame when he was a sophomore, he had a touchdown and 1 or 2 other catches, nothing like he would do later.

825463226[/snapback]

I hear that, he was something else to watch play. He also was a great basketball

and baseball player as well.

Who all do you think are the best WR's to come through TN high school football????

I dont know about other schools but i think from maryville i gotta go with my biological father from the 1976 championship team William Nelson......he ran a 4.2 40-yd dash..... i think Holt from 2002 and Gaskin from 2003 season

825459673[/snapback]

Woods out of Gallatin was great. He played at Vandy.

These are all Melrose WR who played under Tim Thompson that I am going to name. Kevin Taylor, Derrick Woods, and Antoine Lias. Derrick Woods and Antoine Lias were the best 1-2 punch I can ever remember seeing play on the same high school team. I don't remember Taylors stats. Woods on the other hand had 1,500 yards recieveing his junior years ... (97) ... and 1,400 yards recieving his senior year. Lias was a junior when woods was a senior ... he had 900-1000 yds recieving his jr year and 1,200 his senior year. I'm giving you those from memory ... I'm more sure about Woods recieving stats then I am the other 2.

Vitavol, thanks for telling these idiots that these players do not run 4.2 40's.  The NFL combines, year in and year out, the fastest times are 4.3 to 4.4....If your guy ran a 4.2, then he should be a 3 time olympic champ..

825464333[/snapback]

For the most part this is true...but Shelton did run a 4.2 in High school and still does at Notre Dame...they talked about him several times during the UT game this year.

I hear that, he was something else to watch play.  He also was a great basketball

and baseball player as well.

825464035[/snapback]

He was big and strong, just from memory he was probably listed at 6'2", 190, pretty quick moves and faster than average, probably like a Keyshawn Johnson type. I thought he could play higher than MTSU at the time but he probably didn't have the speed needed to play Division 1-A (a lot fewer 1-A schools in 1990, MTSU, Troy, etc were 1-AA for those that didn't know). Only met him a couple of times but he seemed like a good guy too.