Whats going on in Cleveland

gridiron13

I honestly don't think that Coach Rankin will leave Riverdale.  I think he is interviewing just to keep his options open.  He told the Daily News Journal that he wouldn't leave unless is was going to be better for his famiy in Cleveland than in Murfreesboro.

825481295[/snapback]

I personnally do not think he is going either. Like I said in another post about this when someone said it was in 'the bank' that Coach Rankin was going to Cleveland it had better be a big bank and it will take BIG money.

Either way it goes though 'if' R'dale is losing Coach Rankin I wish they would make a decision quick so at least R'dale can do a search for a new head coach BEFORE spring pratice starts. This would be especially true if they have to suddenly need to start learning a new offense.

This also 'may' affect another Coaching position as 'if' it is true that Blackman is looking for a new head Coach it may affect some folks that may be thinking of applying that truly deserve a HEAD Coach spot that are currently at R'dale.

Like I told my son though, whoever is gonna be the coach at R'dale, he will STILL be lifting weights! LOL

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think that Coach Rankin will leave Riverdale.  I think he is interviewing just to keep his options open.  He told the Daily News Journal that he wouldn't leave unless is was going to be better for his famiy in Cleveland than in Murfreesboro.

825481295[/snapback]

There was a artical in the Chattanooga Times Free Press, that said that if Rankin was to come to Cleveland that it would be more for his family, then football. He also said that he has been interested in the Cleveland job for years.

There was a artical in the Chattanooga Times Free Press, that said that if Rankin was to come to Cleveland that it would be more for his family, then football. He also said that he has been interested in the Cleveland job for years.

825481430[/snapback]

Coach Rankin is basically a small town man that values his roots and wants the same for his family. Murfreesboro is now the fifth largest city in Tn and personnally I think it has gotten WAY too big too fast.

Whatever happens though I wish Coach Rankin the best and the best for his family.

Well...The Old Backyard Legend had the opportunity to visit with the "Greatest Coach in Cleveland History" today for about 30 minutes. Benny Monroe spoke to me about desire to return to the sidelines at Cleveland.

Let me go on record as saying that I understand that there are certain protocols that must be taken to name a coach at a public school. It is a government job...right? What I don't understand is why Coach Monroe should have to even interview for the job. His resume is on the press box (Benny Monroe Stadium) and his references are in the trophy case (State Championships in 93, 94, and 95).

The University of Florida made a terrible Public Relations blunder by asking Steve Spurrier to submit an application. That was truly a slap in the face of the "Ol' Ball coach". Afterall...Florida had never won an SEC title before he got there and they haven't won one since he left.

The majority of the Cleveland Raider nation have been crying out for Coach Monroe's return since Coach Brown resigned. It would be a terrible and grave public relations mistake if they didn't offer it to Coach Monroe. I'm confident that the community would rally behind Monroe.

Coach Rankin and Coach Danny Wilson are very qualified candidates and Cleveland is fortunate to have this caliber of coaches to interview for their open position, but Benny Monroe has "earned" the right to coach the Raiders again.

Finally, Benny Monroe is just what the Cleveland program needsIf hired...Benny probably won't coach anymore than 4-5 years. I believe that it would awesome for someone like Danny Wilson to work with Benny and take it over once Benny calls it quits.

So...until next time...the Ol' Backyard Legend is out.

Well...The Old Backyard Legend had the opportunity to visit with the "Greatest Coach in Cleveland History" today for about 30 minutes. Benny Monroe spoke to me about desire to return to the sidelines at Cleveland.

Let me go on record as saying that I understand that there are certain protocols that must be taken to name a coach at a public school. It is a government job...right? What I don't understand is why Coach Monroe should have to even interview for the job. His resume is on the press box (Benny Monroe Stadium) and his references are in the trophy case (State Championships in 93, 94, and 95).

The University of Florida made a terrible Public Relations blunder by asking Steve Spurrier to submit an application. That was truly a slap in the face of the "Ol' Ball coach". Afterall...Florida had never won an SEC title before he got there and they haven't won one since he left.

The majority of the Cleveland Raider nation have been crying out for Coach Monroe's return since Coach Brown resigned. It would be a terrible and grave public relations mistake if they didn't offer it to Coach Monroe. I'm confident that the community would rally behind Monroe.

Coach Rankin and Coach Danny Wilson are very qualified candidates and Cleveland is fortunate to have this caliber of coaches to interview for their open position, but Benny Monroe has "earned" the right to coach the Raiders again.

Finally, Benny Monroe is just what the Cleveland program needsIf hired...Benny probably won't coach anymore than 4-5 years. I believe that it would awesome for someone like Danny Wilson to work with Benny and take it over once Benny calls it quits.

So...until next time...the Ol' Backyard Legend is out.

825481484[/snapback]

Benny Monroe is a great coach...but if you can get Gary Rankin...you had better jump on it.

Cleveland better get Rankin or I and all the other Cleveland fans are goning to be upset. How can you not take Rankin over Monroe. Rankin has been to 9 state championship games compared to Benny's 4 state championship games. Rankin has never lost a semifinal game, which is amazing. Come on Raiders make the right decision. thumb

I'm sure this is an agonizing time for Coach Rankin, as it is for both the Cleveland and Riverdale families. Everyone at Riverdale will support Coach Rankin's decision because it is being made for the right reasons.

I would think a decision would come sooner as opposed to later. The worst thing for a program is uncertainty. The coaches, players, and families need to know what's going on so they can get down to the business of preparing for next season. If you're asking a young man to push five more pounds today it helps to know who you are pushing it for.

Hopefully, Coach Rankin will stay. He has created a monster at Riverdale with expectations that are really unreasonable. It's funny to see so many people picking Riverdale as the team to beat next year...just because they are Riverdale. Expectations are both a blessing and a curse, and I'm sure they weigh heavily on a coach after a few years.

Hopefully, we'll know the story in the next couple days....