Askew Fired at Elliston

Opperman

The 10 players that transferred into Elliston Baptist when coach Vincent Askew took over (*coughrecruitingcough*), as well as whatever returnees there were, met with the EBA headmaster and asked him to fire Askew. He set up a conference call with the players and Askew, and when the players told Askew what they thought, he said he'd leave...the players gave him a standing ovation.

Askew, and the school overall, was already in trouble with the TSSAA for playing four transfers whose eligibility hadn't been approved yet, not to mention charges of recruiting.

Personally, I can't believe how low-class this is all around. Between the coach recruiting 10 new transfers (plus a couple more who moved back where they came from when they didn't like Elliston), the coach playing ineligible players, the players turning their back on him and demanding his termination like they're NBA veterans or something (after, again, they'd just been recruited in!), and then the headmaster showing that the players own him...ugh.

It's sad to see junk like this go on in high school sports.

Edited by Opperman

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think Elliston was affiliated with the TSSAA in any way. I thought they played in the Mississippi Christian School League. I do realize they are in Collierville Tn. I think. I guess if they where trying to get into the TSSAA they would have to answer to alot. I lived in Memphis 2 years ago and I heard about his recruiting then.

I didn't think Elliston was affiliated with the TSSAA in any way.  I thought they played in the Mississippi Christian School League.  I do realize they are in Collierville Tn. I think.  I guess if they where trying to get into the TSSAA they would have to answer to alot.  I lived in Memphis 2 years ago and I heard about his recruiting then.

825464283[/snapback]

Elliston is in D-II and, as far as I know, always has been.

And yes, I forgot to mention how bad -- and blatant -- Askew apparently was about recruiting while he was at Rossville Christian, which is the MPSA school near Collierville you're thinking of. Elliston's off 240 between Getwell and Perkins, across the Interstate from the old Mall of Memphis.

Elliston is in D-II and, as far as I know, always has been.

And yes, I forgot to mention how bad -- and blatant -- Askew apparently was about recruiting while he was at Rossville Christian, which is the MPSA school near Collierville you're thinking of.  Elliston's off 240 between Getwell and Perkins, across the Interstate from the old Mall of Memphis.

825464314[/snapback]

Your right Opperman I was thinking of Rossville. Elliston is D-II. Either way he was doing some heavy recruiting at Rossville also. Was this his first or second year at Elliston? I'm thinking it was his first, because did'nt he take T. Alexander and the G. Hardy kid from Harding last year. Must have been bad if you can't make it through the first month of ball.

Edited by bigAsports

Your right Opperman I was thinking of Rossville.  Elliston is D-II.  Either way he was doing some heavy recruiting at Rossville also.  Was this his first or second year at Elliston?  I'm thinking it was his first, because did'nt he take T. Alexander and the G. Hardy kid from Harding last year.  Must have been bad if you can't make it through the first month of ball.

825464338[/snapback]

Yeah, this was his first year at Elliston. I think he was only at Rossville for one year as well, though it might have been two. Gotta say, his Rossville team was pretty solid. BTW, Rossview is a HS in Clarksville.

Edited by bigAsports

Recruiting is one thing, but bringing in an entire team is completely another. Ten players, that means that some recruited players didn't even get on the floor and NO returning Elliston players could play. Pretty much, he was trying to turn a consistent losing team into a winner. However, that can't happen in a single year without breaking some rules or at least some morals. How is that fair for the kids who have played for Elliston for years and all of a sudden a coach that they don't want comes in and demotes them to the bench or maybe even off the team so he can bring in half a dozen players from all over the mid-south. He did do some heavy recruiting in his one year at Rossville, bringing in pretty much an entire starting lineup. I knew some guys that played for him there and it was much like the situation at Elliston. None of the players liked or him wanted to play for him, even the recruited ones. They did finish in the Final Four of Overall state under him, but it wasn't because of his coaching at all. MPSA is a very weak league compared to TSSAA and elite athletes can dominate even with poor coaching. In my opinion, Coach Askew is gonna have to make some serious changes within himself before he can be a good coach. A new school every year just isn't going to cut it. Maybe he should decide to start building programs the right way, with hard work and discipline, rather than trying to recruit athletes who are only there to play basketball and won't be there after the season.

Recruiting is one thing, but bringing in an entire team is completely another.  Ten players, that means that some recruited players didn't even get on the floor and NO returning Elliston players could play.  Pretty much, he was trying to turn a consistent losing team into a winner.  However, that can't happen in a single year without breaking some rules or at least some morals.  How is that fair for the kids who have played for Elliston for years and all of a sudden a coach that they don't want comes in and demotes them to the bench or maybe even off the team so he can bring in half a dozen players from all over the mid-south.  He did do some heavy recruiting in his one year at Rossville, bringing in pretty much an entire starting lineup.  I knew some guys that played for him there and it was much like the situation at Elliston.  None of the players liked or him wanted to play for him, even the recruited ones.  They did finish in the Final Four of Overall state under him, but it wasn't because of his coaching at all.  MPSA is a very weak league compared to TSSAA and elite athletes can dominate even with poor coaching.  In my opinion, Coach Askew is gonna have to make some serious changes within himself before he can be a good coach.  A new school every year just isn't going to cut it.  Maybe he should decide to start building programs the right way, with hard work and discipline, rather than trying to recruit athletes who are only there to play basketball and won't be there after the season.

825464557[/snapback]

Trust me, Askew's team last year would have been above .500 in AAA, approaching 20 wins.

Guess I should have linked this already...

Commercial Appeal Article

Best quote:

"I want to be in the college ranks anyway. As you know, I can go get kids, and colleges can use that."

Vincent Askew is a disgrace to the coaching profession and got what he deserved.

Anyone that blatantly has such disregard for the rules, and holds themselves in such esteem that they believe the rules don't apply to them, needs to be fired. He openly admitted to recruiting not just one player, but the whole darned team! He defied the TSSAA at every turn and played ineligible players after being told not to by the TSSAA and his own headmaster! Even played ineligible players under assumed names. He's an outlaw and should never again be allowed to coach high school basketball in Tennessee!!!

Vincent Askew is a disgrace to the coaching profession and got what he deserved. 

Anyone that blatantly has such disregard for the rules, and holds themselves in such esteem that they believe the rules don't apply to them, needs to be fired.  He openly admitted to recruiting not just one player, but the whole darned team!  He defied the TSSAA at every turn and played ineligible players after being told not to by the TSSAA and his own headmaster!  Even played ineligible players under assumed names.  He's an outlaw and should never again be allowed to coach high school basketball in Tennessee!!!

825465244[/snapback]

Tell us how you really feel!

In all seriousness, I don't think he should be allowed to coach at any level. He hasn't proven himself to be trustworthy, at all. And if he did end up in college ball somewhere, I would look for an NCAA investigation shortly thereafter.