Good time for 40 yard dash

Corrupted-Minds

like I said earlier 4.3 is considered world class speed by definition.  People want to say that track and football don't have anything to do with one another, so all comparisons to track are irrelevant.  That's not true.  40 yards is 40 yards.  You could actually argue that running a 40 yard dash on the track would yeild a faster time, which is not consistant with what some people are claiming here.  If a really fast person were to already be running when the watch started at 40 yards, it would still be VERY unlikely they would reach 4.1 seconds.

825477179[/snapback]

Dude I recruited a receiver on NCAA 2006 who runs a 4.1 legit it's possible,just playing but seriously I think 4.3 is what you look for but realistically 4.4 and 4.5 are pretty darn fast

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying we are crackheads because we are just stating what somon said, we didnt say we were the ones who clocked stallworth and white and other players we are just stating what we heard trying to contribute to the threads thats all, I played and coached basketball were we could care less about someones forty time

825476717[/snapback]

no- I wasn't actually suggesting that you smoke crack per say- but that the notion that there are athletes running 4.1 forty times is that absurd.

I apologize if you thought I was referring to you as a drug addict, but the thought is preposterous.

For RB's and DB's... anything better than 4.8 is just fine!

Linemen (OT) better than 6 is okay!

Quick Guards 5.5 or better!

FB's, QB's, TE's.... 5.0 or better!

Last year I coached one of the fastest sprinters in the state... he didn't run a 4.2 or a 4.3 like some of you think a TB should run! A team is lucky to have one or two kids who can run better than a 4.5! It is really rare! Sprinting speed is not as important as agility and footwork... and the ability to run over someone!

you are all smoking crack-

there in absloutely NO possible way anyone is running 4.1--- NO WAY.

The fastest man in the world (100 m olympic champ) ran his first 40 split in just under 4.3.

The physics of running and acceleration state it is impossible to accelerate to that speed in such a short distance. The biomechanics of running and acceleration limit how fast a person can get to top speed.

4.1 forties-- only if they are flying forties.....

825476692[/snapback]

Agreed. Why do you think that all of these coaches/teachers/etc. only use the hand-held stopwatch? If they went to the automatic system the times wouldn't be so attractive. Hand-held timers are not accurate when you're wanting to split hairs.

I am going to have to agree that hand timed 40's are not all they are cracked up to be. There is way too much room for human error, unintentional as it might be, it just isn't accurate.

And we need to talk about times here for a second, 4.4 is fast, 4.5 is fast- but when we start getting into 4.57-.59-- that isn't 4.5-- it's 4.6....there is a difference.

And I will agree with another poster- flat out speed is good, but footwork and agility to be able to use it is so much more important.

There is no arguement until all times being compared are Fully Automatic and all 40's are run on the same surface.

If it's not a Fully Automatic Time, then there is simply no use arguing.

And FAT is ALWAYS going to be slower than hand time.

What High School is timing their kids 40's with FAT?

And for that matter, what colleges do?

I think every 40 time that is posted anywhere should say if it is a FAT or a Hand time. Otherwise, it means squat.

Edited by Huh?

If you have the balls to tell me you know of a high school kid running a 4.3 40, well, at least you have balls.

There is no way. Deion Sanders' 4.39 40 is the NFL combine's fastest official time, at least until last year when DeAngelo Hall beat it by like .02 seconds or so. Take a look at Fred Rouse on any major recruiting website. Considered by most the best WR and the fastest prospect in the country. I'd bet his fastest 40 is about a 4.45 and if it is its probably a record for a high school football player.

Please, no more myths about Billy Joe Jones from Backwoods High School in Made-Up Bayou, Louisiana who ran a 3.3. ALL 40 times whether you get them from a high school or college coach, a recruiting service, a NFL scout (with the exception of those at the combine), even if you get it from your trustworthy best-buddy Fred over at Stop-N-Go, are ALWAYS SOMEWHAT enhanced.

Edited by mcallister1479