Whats with the refs?

yogibear

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The T$$AA and assigning officers are the problem.  If any coach or school administrator calls to complain the are assigned the title of trouble maker and when the next crew comes in their attitude is terrible.  When the T$$AA starts being concerned with the kids, the "small Games", and fairness the situation will be better.

825468447[/snapback]

That is true. You don't ever want to request not to get someone. Then all officials will hold it against you.

But I do agree, you have to adjust to the calling. The officials in Tennessee(for the most part) are not very good. There are some good ones. But it has been that way and always will be. Why? You can't get officials to stop their real jobs to go and train to get paid $65.00 per night. Until TSSAA requires more of these guys, or until they get paid only to ref, there will be this problem.

I don't like it. And the officiating drives me NUTS!!!!! But, that's just the way it is.

That is true. You don't ever want to request not to get someone. Then all officials will hold it against you.

But I do agree, you have to adjust to the calling. The officials in Tennessee(for the most part) are not very good. There are some good ones. But it has been that way and always will be. Why? You can't get  officials to stop their real jobs to go and train to get paid $65.00 per night. Until TSSAA requires more of these guys, or until they get paid only to ref, there will be this problem.

I don't like it. And the officiating drives me NUTS!!!!! But, that's just the way it is.

825468925[/snapback]

Good Post.

I think that if anything, sometimes it's not so good, rather than biased. That being said, I could name a place that Unaka visits every year, and it never seems to fail that a certain official is there. All I'll say about him is that, well, God Bless him, he has hair like mine.

I had a personal friend from the other school say to me after his team beat ours by 10 points Thursday night that we sure knew how to pick our refs, as though our coaches have something to do with who refs our games. I think he was kidding.... I think.

One thing I've noticed while covering teams that I have little or no emotional conncetion to is that when the call goes for one team, inevitably the other team's fans boo. Conversely, when the call goes for the other team, guess which fans boo? But I don't know what this has to do with anything. :rolleyes:

I watched the Elizabethton vs Carroll game last night. I wanted to see our local team, if not win outright, at least play a good game. WOW, did they ever? It was an outstanding game, and in my opinion, called quite well. That being said, I saw a couple of things that I certainly disagreed with, but I saw nothing to indicate that the officials had any desire that one team or the other win the game. I will add that the white haired guy sure doesn't let things get out of hand, which I see as a good thing.

One of the out-of-state assistant coaches, while leaving the court at half-time, made a very rude, and loud comment about the "home-cooking." Oh well.

I think sometmes the refs have pre-determined the outcome of the game. I don't necessarily think they are biased but they expect things to happen a certain way and therefore possibly without realizing they call less against the favored team. They expect the favorite to be the better team and call against the underdog.

I also do not necessarily think hometown refs call for their team. It seems to me sometimes that refs from our area are afraid that it will be said homecooking is involved and therefore call more against the teams from the area in which they live. Intentional??Probably not but is it happening I think so.

Also, there is one team we play every year when we go to their gym we have the same refs everytime. I don't know if this is coincides or what but those refs seem to always call against us.

We each have our opinion when it comes to refs and I realize someone has to win and someone has to lose. I am just sorry that it is not always determined by the players and sometimes the results are atleast in part determined by the refs. I know they will miss a call now and then but several bad ones can mean the difference in a game, especially a close one.

Sorry so wordy!! I had a lot to say on that subject!!

I have noticed the difference in the refs this year too. Seems like they are calling alot of touch fouls (cheap fouls) and then are not calling some really hard fouls under the goal or when the girls are throwing elbows. I can't say that the fouls have all been against us either because at one game I know one of our girls was doing a moving screen a bunch of times and no whistle blew. This is going to hurt her later on too because when we do get a good ref, he'll call the moving screen. It seems like they are letting them fight over the ball too long too instead of blowing the whistle. I sit there and cringe and hope nobody gets hurt on either team.

options86,

wrong again, not an official. Play the game, adjust to the officiating and shut up about it or watch that fine bball league called the NBA

825468912[/snapback]

papapj,

Hard to adjust to officiating when 3 of your starters are fouled out early in the fourth and 2 with four and 1 with 2. The other team has 9 for the game. A lot of phantom calls. One time a girl changed her pivot foot 3 times and should have had a 5 second call. Instead of either call, the Coach finally called a time out. Was very obvious from the first minute to the last second that this game was going to be called for the other team. Bad thing is that everytime the team started to overcome the officiating and would close in, there would be a major call. Then to top it off, at the end of the game when the team was trying to foul, they would not call anything. When the girls went to make it obvious they were trying to foul, they called an intentional. Awful game.

This was really the worst I have ever seen and some who were there who were neutral said the same. Minus that game, the officials are going to make a few bad calls and can't be perfect. Haven't seen any others to that extent or even close. Can't please everyone, but at least they need to try to keep it fair. That's not a lot to ask.

As for papatj your response on this thread had nothing to do with the thread, so you shut up and go post on something that you can contribute to. This was a thread to discuss concerns over some of the poor officiating that people have seen this year. This is about over-officiating, under-officiating, and lopsided officiating. So please stick to critiquing people's grammer on another thread. Sense that "prolly" makes you feel very important. Also keep your responses to the subject.

Each association is different that is your first problem. You have one association that focuses on letting post players play and calling it tight on the guards and another who lets the guards hand check and dont let the posts breath. There should be a uniform way to call every game, every official should attempt to call it the same. Also supervisors need to be harder on their offcials when they mess up but its hard to when you are short handed anyway with the number of refs you have. Everyone loves to complain about the offciating but no one wants to step up and do it themselves. A referee makes great money if you can stand to get yelled at.

I am not one to bash the officials, because I have only seen 1 game this year that they were really bad in.  The one game that I did see that they were bad, it was terrible;  They missed TONS of fouls, walks, etc,  and a guy for the other team during the boys game threw the ball, and they didn't call anything.

As I posted in another thread, the refs at our game punished the student section by telling us if we stood up on the floor again(we were not even close to the out of bounds line, we made sure that we stayed way back), we would get kicked out....and all we did was boo bad calls.  I didn't know that was against the rules.

825467783[/snapback]

Jelly, I did not think you guys were out of line. You were no worse than any other true fan except individual voices in a crowd can not be heard as easily as an entire student section. When a ref takes the job he should know his calls or lack thereof will be questioned besides if they were paying more attention to what was going on on the floor instead of what was going on in the stands they might have done their jobs a bit better. I thought the officiating was bad also.

Refs are for the most part jerks. There are some out there that are good guys/ladies that try to do a good job. Refs do abuse their power that is given to them by the TSSAA. They know that they have coaches by the collar because of the suspension and the 250 dollar fine and they aren't afraid to flaunt their power to the first coach that says the first cross word to them. They are arrogant and don't really care about the game, they just care about the money that they are paid. In Kentucky, we all know thats more of a basketball state than we are, and you don't see anything like that. Coaches are allowed to work the refs within reason and they don't try to take the game into their own hands, they let the kids decide the game, not the refs. I see more cheap technicals thrown out now than I've ever seen. I've seen a coach ask a ref to watch the post push off of his girl when she is getting the ball down low and a ref go bulistic and threaten to toss him. I saw over at Greenbrier one time during a timeout a ref come into Macon Co.'s huddle while the coach was talking to his team and call out the coach begging him to say one more word so he could toss him. This is the quality of character, or therefore lack of that we have for the most part today. They are arrogant and don't care what happens, they just want to be seen. For all the refs that are reading this that do care about the game, kudos to you all, we need more of you guys in the profession. To all the ones that stink, and there are plenty of you guys, I come to watch young men and women play basketball, not to watch you ref so whatever your problem is get over it.

Coach17....what do you mean by different associations?????  I thought it was all TSSAA?

825469528[/snapback]

It is all TSSAA in Tennessee, but there are associations (by location) within that organization. And the majority of the fault lies with the official who is over each association. I personally know referees who have left one association because of problems with the person in charge. As I understand it, schools have the right to change associations as well.

It amazes me to read some of these posts. Some people get on here and try to make it sound like you are whining or complaining about referees only when your home team loses. That is not so. There is indeed a problem, yet TSSAA does nothing about it. Well, why should they? There isn't another option for the Athletic programs in Tennessee and therefore, they can get away with it. My arguement has always been "consistency." There are some great refs out there and even they miss a call. And if you happen to be not all that great...at least be consistent in your calls. That way, the kids can get a feel for what you're looking for and adjust their play accordingly. Of course, when you have 3 on the floor, you need to all 3 call the same way...that almost never happens. :unsure: