West Tn Football=WEAK? Is it?

paintc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, on the whole, east, middle, and west are fairly balanced. It's just that you have one or two teams in each division that are much better than the rest. Maryville is a good example. Yes, we have 5 championships in 7 years. But the two hillsboro games and the Melrose game were close. Both Melrose and Hillsboro dominated the competition those years, as did Maryville, until they faced each other. I really wish that the playoffs allowed more cross-state games early, because that would give a better picture (of course it's about money so that will never happen). The only time the east/middle/west division becomes apparent is in the semi's and finals.

I wouldn't say the West is weak. Melrose had one of the best defenses I have ever seen. Huntington was very good. Alcoa and Maryville had great teams. That guy that said the West was much stronger was wrong on his prediction.

825468551[/snapback]

Hi Ron.

Yeah, Buddy! What a game huh?

Congrats to all who played.

Reguards to the Board,

Mapp

(Ron, Got 'er done! I like that!) thumb

Edited by mapperman

There is no way you can call the West weak! Look at some of the teams that come out of the West, like Huntingdon, Milan, Westview, Camden, etc. We might not have one a state title this year, but that doesn't mean we are weak! The West is where the tough teams are. We play smash mouth football every single night! Don't believe it? Then we will just prove it to you next year!

I disagree. I think the competition is greater in the West. All of the teams are closer to each other. Where as, the East seems to be very, very top heavy. For example, look at the scores from Maryville's run to the title game and compare them to Melrose's. The team they [Melrose] beat by the greatest margin was Hillsboro, their Middle TN opponent. In West TN, there are really no "dominant" programs. But East, you have Alcoa, Maryville, etc. This is because of things like population, density, economy, etc. The West could just as easily pull next year what the East did this year with teams like JCS, Union City, Huntingdon, USJ, Westview, Crocket Co, Covington, South Side, JCM, Melrose, Haywood, and Germantown who are all more than capable of making title runs in their respective classifications. Now, if East does what they did this year 3-4 years in a row, and the margin of victory shifts to indicate dominance, as opposed to the squeakers this year. Then, it will be safe to say that West TN is "weak."

Lets look at the last times West Tennessee teams have won a gold ball in the 5 classifications.

1a- Bruceton Central (1989) 1 winner in 15 years

2a- Huntingdon (2003) 2 winners in 10 years

3a- Ridgeway (2002) 4 winners in 10 years

4a- Memphis East (1999) 1 winner in 10 years

5a- Germantown (2003) 1 winner in 10 years

The only division the West has had any success in is 3a in the past ten years. The west has 9 titles in 55 chances. So I would say they are the weakest of the three regions of Tennessee.

Lets look at the last times West Tennessee teams have won a gold ball in the 5 classifications.

1a- Bruceton Central (1989) 1 winner in 15 years

2a- Huntingdon (2003) 2 winners in 10 years

3a- Ridgeway (2002) 4 winners in 10 years

4a- Memphis East (1999) 1 winner in 10 years

5a- Germantown (2003) 1 winner in 10 years

The only division the West has had any success in is 3a in the past ten years. The west has 9 titles in 55 chances. So I would say they are the weakest of the three regions of Tennessee.

825468993[/snapback]

Now compare that to the Maryvilles and Alcoa's