West Tn Football=WEAK? Is it?

paintc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bertier,

You can't go only be championships and be objective about it. For instance, Alcoa wins the 2A but honestly, do you think there were any other teams in the middle or East that could have given Huntingdon, Milan, Westview, Carver, Camden, a game? I don't.

825473894[/snapback]

The West is just mad cause they have no argument on this one. Everyone across the state knows Middle and East Tennessee are the best two areas for football overall. West Tennessee is lucky Memphis is included with that or the success would be even worse. There were 2A teams on the east bracket they could compete and beat those teams you listed. (Lipscomb, Tyner, Goodpasture, Rockwood, East Robertson)

The west weak?  I don't think so.  DII, out of the 6 teams that made it to the finals, 5 were from Shelby County.  All except for <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a>.  And the winners?  All from Shelby County.  I know that DI didn't bring home a gold ball, but the west was there representing the left side.  Melrose was 1 point away from one.  Look at the run the west had like Melrose, Huntington, Kingsbury, Germantown, Collierville, Ridgeway, and Ripley.  Add in teams like Covington, White Station, Milan, Cordova, Haywood, JCM, Martin Westview, Crockett County, and Lexington.  I believe the west is doing just fine!

And you want to count gold balls?  Germantown and Ridgeway have gotten them in the last few years to go along with all the DII ones.  Also, Riverdale has dominated 5A.  Is it weak that the west didn't beat them for the title?  Then that says a lot about them being UNDEFEATED before they played anyone from the west.

825473108[/snapback]

Hate to burst your bubble but..... The reason you didn't get a chance to play them was b/c Germantown got the you know what beat out of them by franklin.. and i will tell you that no one was going to beat Riverdale this year. That is one of the best High school football teams that i have seen in a long time.

What does that have with winning Football games? You can have a team of athletes and not win anything. I think the answer to that question it is pretty even. Talented athletes are all around the state. But the teams that gel together and win year in and year out are from the Tennessee River east.

825470339[/snapback]

So, are you saying teams like Huntington, Milan, USJ, JCM, Melrose, Germantown, etc. don't win year in and year out? I'd say their past disagrees with you.

I am speaking in Gold Ball terms.

825474678[/snapback]

Gold balls are all well and good and in the end what everyone shoots for....but as far as using that as the deciding factor of what region is strongest is IMO very short-sided...the west doesn't have teams that dominate their region year in year out....as far as regular season week to week competition there is no other region that has as many good teams that could win against anyone on any given Friday nite....I know in Middle and East TN there are rivalries and such but you can almost always pick a winner because there are always teams that completely dominate in their division....that for the most part doesn't happen in the west. So how anyone can say that the West is the weakest region just amazes me....the West is stronger because of the lack of domination by any team not weaker.

Gold balls are all well and good and in the end what everyone shoots for....but as far as using that as the deciding factor of what region is strongest is IMO very short-sided...the west doesn't have  teams that dominate their region year in year out....as far as regular season week to week competition there is no other region that has as many good teams that could win against anyone on any given Friday nite....I know in Middle and East TN there are rivalries and such but you can almost always pick a winner because there are always teams that completely dominate in their division....that for the most part doesn't happen in the west. So how anyone can say that the West is the weakest region just amazes me....the West is stronger because of the lack of domination by any team not weaker.

825474717[/snapback]

Maybe you need to get out of West Tennessee and watch games all over the state. Team are better overall in the middle and eastern parts of the states . You have no argument that can win this one the West has never been dominate and never will be.

Maybe you need to get out of West Tennessee and watch games all over the state. Team are better overall in the middle and eastern parts of the states . You have no argument that can win this one the West has never been dominate and never will be.

825474728[/snapback]

You and I will just have to agree to disagree...as far as watching teams across the state I daresay I have seen many more than you....I have been around just a little longer than you....like about 20 years or so and have watched both Middle and West tn ball and I stick to my guns about this...there is not a Riverdale, Maryville, or Lipscomb in West TN and never will be....because overall competition week to week is greater...its not because the talent is not there its because the talent is more evenly divided between all teams....that makes the West tougher in my book cause no team knows that they will absolutely win week in and week out. They know they face a shoot-out every week....there are very few easy weeks anymore and that is becoming more and more true ever year in the west. The west has consistently strong teams like Melrose, some of the Lexington teams, Huntingdon, Milan, USJ and JCM but even those teams know that their competition is good enough to beat them on any given nite....That's something the majority of teams in the other regions can't say with any consistency.

Edited by tamirrt