Tornado74

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was pretty good stuff tnhsball1.

Almost as accurate as you calling Maryville "creampuff."

Or no wait, maybe it was as correct as your prediction that the 4A state champion would be either Melrose or White House.

Go Rebs.

825471850[/snapback]

Pretty good stuff STARS. This poster said that Maryville plays no one till week 15. I guess Powell,Alcoa and Central are terrible. All I can say to this White House fan is they couldn't beat Melrose. Maryville did beat Melrose.

Maryville Red Rebels

8 state titles 1970,1976,1978,1998,2000,2001,2002 and 2004

3 state runner ups. 1977,1979 and 1997

599-213-33 record all time.

68-6 record in this decade

61 winning seasons

78 playoff games

61 playoff wins

40 Blount County Championships

25 years in the playoffs

16 1 loss seasons

17 region championships

15 state semifinal games

11 undefeated regular seasons

5 perfect seasons undefeated untied 1970,1978,1998,2002 and 2004

Pretty good stats for a creampuff team.

I completely agree with you. I was one of those students, the 4 best years of my life. You know how the Co. Schools attempted to ban us from bringing the flags, then they let there own students bring in shredded ones. complete bs if u ask me.  In this day and age though, tradition or not, people are trying to get ride of this symbol of southern pride. i personally see nothing wrong with it, but some people just have to ruin all the students fun. and as a joke, how bout we call it the battle for the blount co. championship, william blount and heritage wouldnt be able to win it even if it was keep around.

825471226[/snapback]

I totally agree that people make a big deal about nothing a lot of times. That being said, a game called the "civil war" would not be appropriate. You can argue about different economic reasons being the keystone of the civil war, but let's be honest. The civil war had a tremendous impact on how blacks are treated and remembered. If you cannot see the conflict of interest between a traditionally "white collar" school waving rebel flags playing a traditionally "blue collar" school with a large % black population being called the "civil war" then you have a lot of growing up to do. It's catchy and a cool idea, but certainly NOT appropriate.

I totally agree that people make a big deal about nothing a lot of times.  That being said, a game called the "civil war" would not be appropriate.  You can argue about different economic reasons being the keystone of the civil war, but let's be honest.  The civil war had a tremendous impact on how blacks are treated and remembered.  If you cannot see the conflict of interest between a traditionally "white collar" school waving rebel flags playing a traditionally "blue collar" school with a large % black population being called the "civil war" then you have a lot of growing up to do.  It's catchy and a cool idea, but certainly NOT appropriate.

825472882[/snapback]

Last time I looked, this wasnt the days of the Civil War. Sounds like someone else needs to grow up.

Last time I looked, this wasnt the days of the Civil War.  Sounds like someone else needs to grow up.

825472887[/snapback]

Take off the rose-colored glasses, some people may find Civil War references quite offensive and anyone that knows history should understand why they feel that way. You may disagree with the issue but be sensitive to others.

Take off the rose-colored glasses, some people may find Civil War references quite offensive and anyone that knows history should understand why they feel that way. You may disagree with the issue but be sensitive to others.

825473105[/snapback]

Why should I when I would not receive the same from them?

I totally agree that people make a big deal about nothing a lot of times.  That being said, a game called the "civil war" would not be appropriate.  You can argue about different economic reasons being the keystone of the civil war, but let's be honest.  The civil war had a tremendous impact on how blacks are treated and remembered.  If you cannot see the conflict of interest between a traditionally "white collar" school waving rebel flags playing a traditionally "blue collar" school with a large % black population being called the "civil war" then you have a lot of growing up to do.  It's catchy and a cool idea, but certainly NOT appropriate.

825472882[/snapback]

I'm not the one wanting to call it the civil war, go back and check the first post. I was the one saying it wouldn't work. And trust me, I understand a lot about the reasons the civil war was started and the effects of the civil war had on america(thanks mr. white, best ap teacher in the state IMO). With that being said, I don't have a problem with students waving the flag at games, if you look across the field at the mhs-ahs games, you'll see just as many, if not more flags on there sidelines. I don't have a problem when its a symbol of southern and school pride. Now if it was used as a symbol of racism, like if we only used it when we played schools with a huge % of minority students, I could see people having a problem with it. But every single game(except state) the flag is there, it doesnt matter if the school is all minorities or all white. It's a symbol of school pride, its been that way for as long as my uncles (all grads of mhs. from the 70's) can remember.

Just as long as it has a catchy name....b/c all I know is that Maryville will always have their rebel flags and Alcoa will always have their shredded ones. There will always be the attempts to pull a big prank on each others school and a lot of people getting caught, Alcoa's unauthorized parade through Maryville that is always broken up year after year, and thats how it will stay.