Don't let the TSSAA get away with this one

WriteStuff

This one is for the kids.....let's not let the TSSAA steal "dream" seasons away from our youth. There's already enough reason for them to stay out of athletics (PlayStation, Malls, Boys, Girls, Drugs, TV, Movies, etc...). Let's keep one thing that makes them want to keep playing: The dream of reaching the state basketball tournament.

Contact Ronnie Carter at rcarter@tssaa.org; Gene Menees at gmenees@tssaa.org; Bernard Childress at bchildress@tssaa.org; or if you know any of the Board of Control members -- their names are listed in the following story -- contact them by fax or e-mail. It's time to stand up against the TSSAA.

The following article appeared in the Johnson City Press on Thursday, Jan. 6, 2005:

Prep Basketball - TSSAA plan would ruin state tourney

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Fritz wrote a great article, very pointed and to the point...

TSSAA has to be for a purpose other than Ronnie Carter's $1000 suits, but unfortunately it hasn't been for way too long...

If TSSAA passes the discussed state tournament change, then it is truly time for the high schools across the state to seriously discuss the formulation of a new governing board to replace the TSSAA...the money generated by the student athletes needs to more directly benefit the schools that provide the opportunity for the competition to take place and thus benefit the student athletes themselves...TSSAA has not been that organization and I don't have any reason to believe it will be...

Thank you Doug Fritz and everyone else who is thinking of the student athlete in voicing opinions on the ridiculous plan.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

this was presented to us at the pre-season meeting as if it were pretty well a done deal. there was no interest in dissenting opinions.

i have been going to the state tournament since 1980, and it is the best thing we have in high school sports. it will be a sad day for tennessee high school basketball if it is destroyed this way.

however, attendance HAS been dwindling... severely. it is hard to believe that it could not be promoted successfully. the product is exceptional. what would it take to put butts in the seats?

this is not breaking news to those of us that have supported tennessee high school athletics over the last twenty years...

the fact is that the attendance (basketball) has been on a downhill trend for the last five years.......

from my understanding, the tournament has been in the red for a while....

you can't survive operating in the red....

i personally like the 8 team format........ i wonder if the tssaa has considered soliciting for a major cooperate sponsor to offset cost?

so the only solution is: cooperate sponsorship, better attendance, or looking to reduce the tourney format to reduce cost.....

so, just what is that state tournament game in the boro for football called?

The reason attendance has dropped is the sky high price for only a half day of basketball. I know the last two years, I chose one session to attend with the most AAA teams so I wouldn't have to pay so much. If the costs were different, lower for each session or just one all day session, I would probably attend at least two whole days, maybe more.

What I think that is being overlooked is: who is this tournament for? Is it simply a way for TSSAA to make money? No, someone earlier stated that many kids dream of this. It has been stated that most COACHES would prefer to go to the Boro. I guarantee that ALL players would rather play in the Glass House than their gym. Also, the point that geographic areas would be limited on number of entries is a good point. Their is no way that the top 3 teams in West TN would all make it. (White Station, Northside, Fairley) Depending on the draw, they could all be in the final 4 with the current system. There is no way they could with only the final 4 going.

Bad idea. If it ain't broke......you know the rest.

You want interest?? Create a system where there is an opportunity for a cinderella. Tournament play is not about the best two teams on paper or on talent playing for the championship; it's about survive and advance. I've said it before and I'll say it again; allowing teams to lose and advance is silly. Given multiple opportunities, the most talented teams will eventually win. Typically, these teams are from metropolitan areas, and the fact is: these schools do not typically have much fan support. Fan support comes from teams who have not been to state in a while and from smaller communities. I've never seen a state where you can practically pick half the eight team field or more in each classification before the tournament starts, as you can in Tennessee. Upsets in the early rounds don't matter, because of the multiple chances given to advance.

The reason attendance has dropped is the sky high price for only a half day of basketball.  I know the last two years, I chose one session to attend with the most AAA teams so I wouldn't have to pay so much.  If the costs were different, lower for each session or just one all day session, I would probably attend at least two whole days, maybe more. 

What I think that is being overlooked is:  who is this tournament for?  Is it simply a way for TSSAA to make money?  No, someone earlier stated that many kids dream of this.  It has been stated that most COACHES would prefer to go to the Boro.  I guarantee that ALL players would rather play in the Glass House than their gym.  Also, the point that geographic areas would be limited on number of entries is a good point.  Their is no way that the top 3 teams in West TN would all make it. (White Station, Northside, Fairley)  Depending on the draw, they could all be in the final 4 with the current system.  There is no way they could with only the final 4 going.

Bad idea.  If it ain't broke......you know the rest.

825508959[/snapback]

"Money is the root of all evil" and in my opinion it is evil for the powers to be to always put the interests of their pockets ahead of the interests of the young men and women who pour out their heart and soul as highschool athletes Just like in most sports we need to start putting people in high positions becuase of their passion for these various sports and athletes and not because of the their passion for a quick buck. any tru sports fan will tell you look at the majority of the successful athletic programs and teams in this country. They put a winning product on the field and court and people come to watch which in turn generates revenue, I wish someone would wake up and realize this. example look at the Yankees they spend money to get the best players and they win which puts fans in the seats which puts money in Steinbrenners pockets it makes sense. So what I am saying is we need to leave the current format alone leave it how it is also put spring fling back in Chattanooga and leave it there

The reason attendance has dropped is the sky high price for only a half day of basketball.  I know the last two years, I chose one session to attend with the most AAA teams so I wouldn't have to pay so much.  If the costs were different, lower for each session or just one all day session, I would probably attend at least two whole days, maybe more. 

What I think that is being overlooked is:  who is this tournament for?  Is it simply a way for TSSAA to make money?  No, someone earlier stated that many kids dream of this.  It has been stated that most COACHES would prefer to go to the Boro.  I guarantee that ALL players would rather play in the Glass House than their gym.  Also, the point that geographic areas would be limited on number of entries is a good point.  Their is no way that the top 3 teams in West TN would all make it. (White Station, Northside, Fairley)  Depending on the draw, they could all be in the final 4 with the current system.  There is no way they could with only the final 4 going.

Bad idea.  If it ain't broke......you know the rest.

825508959[/snapback]

Your right, it would take the possibilities of a region or city getting 3 teams to the dance, BUT how many people from Memphis or from Knoxville are willing to drive to the 'Boro to watch basketball games, when they have opportunities to stay at home and go to the Fed-Ex Forum and watch a NCAA regional bracket, or stay at home and watch the same thing. It is costing the TSSAA too much money to field 8 teams per class. Other states around us have done this, and it works out wonderfully.

In Alabama, they have an area tournament (like our district tourneys), then the winner of that host a sub-state game and the loser goes on the road for a sub-state game. From there they go to 4 sites around the state and have regional tournaments ( Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, and Southeast). This is pretty cool because it allows the kids to have the Boro feel but in a more localized location. At the regionals you play basically a Sweet 16 game and an Elite 8 game. The winners from each region then go to Birmingham and play the Final 4 and championships. As far as the teams not getting to go that deserve to, for about 3 or 4 years in a row, the top 3 ranked teams in North Alabama ( Lawrence Co., East Lawrence, and like Deshler or someone) would all get to the Northwest Regional at Wallace St. CC in Hanceville, AL. And yes only one of the 2 or 3 would make it to the Final 4, but they have only won about 3 state titles in the last 10 years, because of the diversity in basketball that the system brings to Birmingham.

Now, I am saying that what Alabama does is the right answer for Tennessee, maybe not, but it would give everything the same feel as the kids would have in Murfreesboro, but closer to home (with the regional play), which would mean more fans, which would mean more money, which would mean much more to the teams that made it to the 'Boro.

The change will not destroy the state tounrament, but if done correctly, it could help out with the issues of fan support and with revenue from the tournament(s).

Lets be supportive of the system and give them a chance to do the right things for the tournament and the student-athletes. thumb

"Money is the root of all evil" and in my opinion it is evil for the powers to be to always put the interests of their pockets ahead of the interests of the young men and women who pour out their heart and soul as highschool athletes Just like in most sports we need to start putting people in high positions becuase of their passion for these various sports and athletes and not because of the their passion for a quick buck. any tru sports fan will tell you look at the majority of the successful athletic programs and teams in this country. They put a winning product on the field and court and people come to watch which in turn generates revenue, I wish someone would wake up and realize this. example look at the Yankees they spend money to get the best players and they win which puts fans in the seats which puts money in Steinbrenners pockets it makes sense. So what I am saying is we need to leave the current format alone leave it how it is also put spring fling back in Chattanooga and leave it there

825508996[/snapback]

Actually, it's "the love of money is the root of all evil."

You give me half the budget that ole Ronnie has and I will guarantee everyone that makes it to the state tourney will have a memorable moment. :lol:

I will start it now.....the THSSA (Tennessee high school sports association)....if it hurts the kids, then I am opposed to it.

Who wants to join?

THSAA sponsored by coacht.com.....(free advertising for coacht)

You give me half the budget that ole Ronnie has and I will guarantee everyone that makes it to the state tourney will have a memorable moment.  :lol: 

I will start it now.....the THSSA (Tennessee high school sports association)....if it hurts the kids, then I am opposed to it.

Who wants to join?

THSAA sponsored by coacht.com.....(free advertising for coacht)

825509039[/snapback]

im in