Knoxville News

jgarrison

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hype....

AP Polls are really not that good of a poll, or something to judge, because you have voters out West, voting on Teams in the East, and vice-versa.

Reputation also has a lot to do with team rankings as well, if not for Cait McMahan leading Heritage, they may not be ranked above those teams.

In other words, the AP Polls are fun to see, and to say "My team is ranked 4th this week", etc. but I wouldn't put a lot (any?) stock into them, given how voters out West possibly see Claiborne with their record, but fail to look at the district standings, and or who they lost to, stuff like that.

Should they research? Yes.

Are they going to? Likely not, and it's hard to rank teams off of score results, as well unless you see them.

This week you have Chattanooga, Clarksville, Columbia, Cookeville, Greeneville, Jackson, Kingsport, Johnson City, Union City, Martin, Trenton, and Memphis voting in the girls poll...

While the same, plus the Tennessean voted in the Boys Poll.

Beats me. I am still trying to figure out how the rank Heritage ahead of Greeneville and Jeff County in AAA when both teams beat them soundly.

825514640[/snapback]

I tried to explain this on another thread. Polls are just that...POLLS!! (opinions) I am a Heritage fan. Yes, both Greenville and Jeff. Co beat Heritage in the Greene County classic. Now, I think if you ask both Coach Burkey, and Coach Potts if they beat Heritage "soundly", I think they would say no. .. Do both schools deserve to be ranked higher than Heritage based on those wins in December?...Yes. Thank goodness we are not D-1 football. All of these questions and debate will be answered in Regional, sub-state, and State tourney play. Remember, 2 teams that aren't" ranked" (Powell and Craigmont) went to the show last year. They along with other quality teams across the state will be forces to deal with as the season goes along. Best of luck to all these quality teams this year.

Now, I think if you ask both Coach Burkey, and Coach Potts if they beat Heritage "soundly", I think they would say no. ..

Well I would not be the one to speak for either of these coaches, just me and I believe 12 and 10 point victories respectively are "sound". These games were not close and Heritage did not look crisp in either of them.

The people who vote in the all-hallowed AP are supposed to be professionals. You would think they would actually look at some of these teams schedules and records before voting. Greeneville has had 3 losses... all to either #1 ranked teams (Mt Juliet and Harpeth Hall) or a defending Louisiana state champ. (Cabrini).

Jeff county has a loss to Greeneville(very close) and 1 to Cabrini.

Lets put this in perspective.Heritage has now lost to #8 and #10. Could be they have been .....over-rated?

Well someone should keep watching the Rockwood girls, they play with 5 sophomores on the floor most of the time, occasionally they have one junior and a couple of freshmen are seeing time. They still play young but are winning some games most people think they shouldnt win. As for being stomped by Loudon, that is true, however, Loudon did hit about 15 threes and how often do you think they do that?

Why do they have Claiborne County ranked # 10, when Pigeon Forge is # 1 and undefeated in their district? What are they basing their rankings on?

825514632[/snapback]

Maybe Coach J needs to be as pushy with numbers and things like Coach Parkey. Everytime I talk to him he talks about how they're the youngest team in the district.

Other than that, I can't see why. Maybe because Claiborne only has 2 losses...which doesn't always matter because they'll stick any K-Town team with more losses ahead of area teams if they can make a case for it.

Now, I think if you ask both Coach Burkey, and Coach Potts if they beat Heritage "soundly", I think they would say no. ..

Well I would not be the one to speak for either of these coaches, just me and I believe 12 and 10 point victories respectively are "sound". These games were not close and Heritage did not look crisp in either of them.

The people who vote in the all-hallowed AP are supposed to be professionals. You would think they would actually look at some of these teams schedules and records before voting. Greeneville has had 3 losses... all to either #1 ranked teams (Mt Juliet and <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=215&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Harpeth Hall</a>) or a defending Louisiana state champ. (Cabrini).

Jeff county has a loss to Greeneville(very close) and 1 to Cabrini.

Lets put this in perspective.Heritage has now lost to #8 and #10. Could be they have been .....over-rated?

825514963[/snapback]

Not to steal your thunder barb, but McMahan was sick during the Jefferson County game according to our guy that was covering...she had a really bad night.

Not sure how she was in the GreenEville game, but it seems as though the Lady Greene Devils didn't want a repeat of the sectional...