State Champion

takedown technician

There are so many thing that frustrate me about Tennesse not having a true state champion. First, Tennesse is not as good of a wrestling state as it could be. This is because of multiple state champions. Second, The whole Public/Private split thing drives me crazy. Look at the states with one true state champion. How many times does a private school who can recruit actually win it. Being from California, which is in my opinion the second best wrestling state only to Ohio, I can say that the last private school to win the state team title was Calvary Chapel and that was a few years ago. Public schools dominate the state in every sport except for football which doesnt matter cause California doesnt have state championships. Third. kids today are sissys. The real reason that any state has more than one state championship is because it will make the kids feel better and keep them from getting their feelings hurt. I personally would be happier with a second or third place in state where there is one true champion than a gold where there is 4 or 5 champions because I would know that I faced the best possible competition to get that medal. Tennessee is only holding itself back over one thing and it's the public/private debate. I say this, public school coaches if you cant beat the private schools dont come up with excuses just start coaching better because if it can be done in other states it can be done in Tennessee.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

119 - Obviously, you should return to class. The suggestion was to spend some time teaching his son some of his vast knowledge of the sport so that he would enjoy greater success and therefore attain a higher Hamm rating. When you grow up and do something with your life, then come on back and tell me what I should or shouldn't do. Sommers is a grown man who continually gets on this board running his mouth about ever topic under the sun - he doesn't need kids to do his talking for him. You should know that.

Edited by walkenvol

I can't name names, but over the past twenty years I've known many.  Manley's probably right that I now know only a couple at McCallie and know maybe one or two elsewhere "today," but of course will not name names.  I do know of one family as well from a few miles south of me that was most grateful a few years ago that one of these schools in Chattanooga offered their son a great package they couldn't refuse and clearly it has been a win-win every since.  They may remember a good conversation or two over this matter as they graciously ran the hospitlality room. :rolleyes:

I better stop here.

825539029[/snapback]

It is amazing to me that so many people have discussed their financial details with you over the years. Especially when you get on this board and broadcast it for all to see. It's fairly easy to come up with whom you are referring to in your post. I am sure they appreciate it.

119 - Obviously, you should return to class.  The suggestion was to spend some time teaching his son some of his vast knowledge of the sport so that he would enjoy greater success and therefore attain a higher Hamm rating.  When you grow up and do something with your life, then come on back and tell me what I should or shouldn't do.  Sommers is a grown man who continually gets on this board running his mouth about ever topic under the sun - he doesn't need kids to do his talking for him.  You should know that.

825539304[/snapback]

Okay, Brickhousechick, at least you sound like him or her. You say, "go away," I'm prepared to do that now, for I don't want any part of your negative energy any longer. I'm satisfied now with my findings...

signal or lookout mtnwrastler, or whomever, you have no idea how many folks I know in the 'Boro, just south of me with kids in private schools. Only these folks know the details of "that" conversation years ago, which should be kept secret.

soms

By the way: I've done some checking up on you and I now have you, "Vol," pegged as not only Herm and Brickhousechick(maybe maybe not), but mtnrasslin as well. You are hysterical in the way you will talk to yourself on this board. :rolleyes:

I've made up my mind on the divisions... Keep it as is, but let's compete as often "as possible" in both duals and tournaments.

I'll leave ya alone now Vol,,, "guys & gals :lol: etc. "

Edited by Sommers

First, Tennesse is not as good of a wrestling state as it could be. This is because of multiple state champions.

, kids today are sissys. The real reason that any state has more than one state championship is because it will make the kids feel better and keep them from getting their feelings hurt.

I say this, public school coaches if you cant beat the private schools dont come up with excuses just start coaching better because if it can be done in other states it can be done in Tennessee.

ooooo,

" Tennesse is not as good of a wrestling state as it could be. This is because of multiple state champions." Now correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the State as a whole has had more Sr. and Jr. National medalist's since the split, than before. It seems to me TN wrestling is moving in the right directions, as far as advancing. D1 and d2 schools can still wrestle one another during the season, so I don't see how the split holds us back. Does participation in one tournament really hold the state back as a whole?

I am sure there are plenty of kids that could stand up and say they are not sissy's. In fact if you decided to step out on the mat I'm sure several would show you. If you do not know every kid personally,you should not make comments like that. It is degrading to our kids and especially to you!

I never heard the d1 schools complaining because they couldn't win. Correct me if I am wrong, but the TSSAA makes the "split" decisions, not the d1 coaches. Why do people like to point the finger at d1 and say it's your fault, when the reason the split came along was because a d2 schoold got caught cheating?

Who can win a state championship that can recruit? According to the TSSAA website, of the top four Ind. Tournament Champions...

#1 with 9 championchips Father Ryan

Tied @ #2 with 8 apiece Baylor and McCallie

#4 with 6 championchips Bradley County.

First, Tennesse is not as good of a wrestling state as it could be. This is because of multiple state champions.

,  kids today are sissys. The real reason that any state has more than one state championship is because it will make the kids feel better and keep them from getting their feelings hurt.

I say this, public school coaches if you cant beat the private schools dont come up with excuses just start coaching better because if it can be done in other states it can be done in Tennessee.

ooooo,

" Tennesse is not as good of a wrestling state as it could be. This is because of multiple state champions." Now correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the State as a whole has had more Sr. and Jr. National medalist's since the split, than before. It seems to me TN wrestling is moving in the right directions, as far as advancing. D1 and d2 schools can still wrestle one another during the season, so I don't see how the split holds us back. Does participation in one tournament really hold the state back as a whole?

I am sure there are plenty of kids that could stand up and say they are not sissy's. In fact if you decided to step out on the mat I'm sure several would show you. If you do not know every kid personally,you should not make comments like that. It is degrading to our kids and especially to you!

I never heard the d1 schools complaining because they couldn't win. Correct me if I am wrong, but the TSSAA makes the "split" decisions, not the d1 coaches. Why do people like to point the finger at d1 and say it's your fault, when the reason the split came along was because a d2 schoold got caught cheating?

Who can win a state championship that can recruit? According to the TSSAA website, of the top four Ind. Tournament Champions... 

#1 with 9 championchips Father Ryan

Tied @ #2 with 8 apiece Baylor and McCallie

#4 with 6 championchips Bradley County.

825539479[/snapback]

I think that those numbers are skewed a bit in their use here. Since the split, the campionships should not be used for this argument, as I see it. There is typically only about 4 teams in the D2 arena who win the traditional tourney. Maybe a better comparison would be pre-split championship analysis.

but, I may be wrong, I am not totally sure what you mean by "who can win a state championship that can recuit?"

By the way:  I've done some checking up on you and I now have you, "Vol," pegged as not only Herm and Brickhousechick, but mtnrasslin as well.  You are hysterical in the way you will talk to yourself on this board. :lol:

I'll leave ya alone now Vol,,, "guys & gals :ph34r: etc. "

825539355[/snapback]

OH, I get it. Anybody on this board who calls you out on the mistruths and babble you continually post must be the same person with multiple screen names? Are you sure I'm not Bayoubear, Sly, and RMC also - they have called you on the table for your nonsense also? Sorry Soms, these are all different folks. They would probably all tell you their names except they know that you would then consider them close personal friends and add them to your list of name dropping along with posting that they had confided to you their thoughts and opinions which you then promptly share on this board.

I'll believe the last statement when I see it.

You've caught me again Soms. I must be Gablefan since he just dished your hero by saying that he got caught cheating. I must be reftn also since we hold a similar opinion on a topic. Maybe there's only you and me on this board creating a matrix type of reality? No, can't be. I actually hold down a job since I'm the only idiot who wasn't on financial aid at McC.

You've caught me again Soms.  I must be Gablefan since he just dished your hero by saying that he got caught cheating.  I must be reftn also since we hold a similar opinion on a topic.  Maybe there's only you and me on this board creating a matrix type of reality?  No, can't be.  I actually hold down a job since I'm the only idiot who wasn't on financial aid at McC.

825539568[/snapback]

Wow! Are you ok. Something seems wrong.

" Gablefan... just dished your hero by saying that he got caught cheating. "

I was actually refering to BA and football, but yes I suppose McCallie did get busted for something as well.

Man I thought me and Reftn had problems!! We just have differing wrestling opinions. You two should start your own post so you can bicker there and we can talk about why it should be two divisions in here!