Coach of the Year

HarpethWrestler171

Ok. There are a lot of deserving coaches out there. A LOT. So many, I have no idea who they are. Could we narrow the field for the Board Reader's Choice Award?

There are 8 regions, for now. I'm sure each region gave a coach of the year award.

Region 8: Coach Jason Thiry. This is his first year coaching the Cordova Wolves, and in just one season he made his team from one of the worst into one of (and some could argue for "THE best") in the region.

Who won for each region?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.  There are a lot of deserving coaches out there.  A LOT.  So many, I have no idea who they are.  Could we narrow the field for the Board Reader's Choice Award?

There are 8 regions, for now.  I'm sure each region gave a coach of the year award. 

Region 8:  Coach Jason Thiry.  This is his first year coaching the Cordova Wolves, and in just one season he made his team from one of the worst into one of (and some could argue for "THE best") in the region.

Who won for each region?

825568848[/snapback]

I don't think Region 2 did!

Not to say that Baylor is lacking talent in the room this year, but coach Morgan, Shacck and Russell have turned some relatively inexperienced wrestlers into state contenders, as they do year in and out. There has been a great atmoshpere in the room all year, large number of J.V wrestlers pushing the varsity squad every day.

Coach Jim Morgan from Baylor has turned boys into men. Look at the improvement of his freshman and sophomores over this season. They've all improved drastically. The 103 went from being pinned nearly 6 times in a row to winning every match. And their 215 starting out as an automatic 6 points for the other team. Now he's winning some good matches and being competitive. Also, look at the wrestlers this year who wrestled J. V. last year. 103, 119, 140, 171, 215, and this is the 275's first year. Coach Morgan and Shaak have done a great job this year and deserve Coach of the Year.

This is Don Beardsly of the Knoxville Catholic High School and I believe that Gerard Candella of The Webb School of Knoxville has shown excellent improvement from last years program. I believe he would be an excellent canidate for the best wrestling coach in the state of Tennessee. He has led his team to a winning records with big wins over Farragut High School and over Maryville whom went on to win the team state duels for their region. We got very lucky to come out with a win against the mighty Webb Spartans if it was not for some pretty detrimental injuries to some key spartans it would've been the Spartans on top. I believe next year will be a harder year for the Spartans due to a great coaching loss of Jared Smith a good personal friend of mine.  Plese can I have all your support for voting Gerard Candella of coach of the year.  thumb  thumb  thumb

825567412[/snapback]

;) would appreciate it if you use your own name when making post

Coach B

I am sorry, but I did not have time to read through all of the other posts. My vote would go to Mike Weldon out at Karns. The guy has really done something amazing in the past few years at both Farragut and Karns. He took that team to the Duals in his second year there and has done an outstanding job.

Coach Jim Morgan from Baylor has turned boys into men. Look at the improvement of his freshman and sophomores over this season. They've all improved drastically. The 103 went from being pinned nearly 6 times in a row to winning every match. And their 215 starting out as an automatic 6 points for the other team. Now he's winning some good matches and being competitive. Also, look at the wrestlers this year who wrestled J. V. last year. 103, 119, 140, 171, 215, and this is the 275's first year. Coach Morgan and Shaak have done a great job this year and deserve Coach of the Year.

825570511[/snapback]

There were SEVEN seniors on Baylor's first string last year. One, Rankin Morgan, possibly the second best wrestler on the team last year behind Leen, got hurt before the tournaments. One of the other starters didn't get in the line up this year. Therefore, fully half of the team is wrestlling first string for the first time this season.