TNT Middle School State Tournament

ptguard12

Guest hogeye15
What are some of your all's thought on the boys 4a bracket? who do u think has the best chance of winning it?

825560264[/snapback]

who do think has the best chance winning 3a bracket

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lavergne beat Sequatchie 44-41. Both teams looked nervous with a lot of unforced turnovers. I thought Seq would have been more relaxed had they been invited last year, they were 18-2 and beat a nearby team that was invited 3 times, including by 20+ in a conference final but that team had been a couple of other times in the past. Seq missed too many shots close to the basket they usually make and didn't do a good job foul shooting. It seemed a little strange at first that Seq was in the 5A group (high school is 2A and that's what you think of) against a school with 300 8th graders, a feeder for an AAA high school but looking at the program saw that Seq's 170 is actually pretty large compared to all the other teams in it, if it remains that way they could be moving to 3A in football in a few years (2A now). grades down to the elementary level are that large too.. It was quite a coincidence one of Laverge's subs went to school in Sequatchie County through the fifth grade, in seventh now, out of all the middle schools in the state they played each other tonight. Lavergne was the best team Seq saw all year, not counting a scrimmage with Ocoee from Cleveland, they didn't really have an answer for Laverge's Jefferson. You don't often see a nearly 6-foot seventh-grade girl crossover on the opposing team's best defensive player, pull up and nail a three at the end of a quarter but she did it, rebounded strong and drove hard to the basket. I imagine she'll be at Lavergne HS, not really sure about the school zones but if I was the high school coach I'd make sure she's not influenced to go elsewhere. She had 14, I'm told that's well below her average, but she kept balls alive, passed and helped her teammates score too. Lavergne led 23-18 at the half, Seq tied it at 27-27 with a 3 in the third but Lavergne scored eight straight, 35-27 after three. Lavergne led 44-34 or so with about 1:00 left, Seq scored seven late, 3 at the buzzer to make it a three-point game. Lavergne made most of their scoring runs when Seq's starting center, a 5'10" girl, was on the bench, Seq had some trouble getting good shots when she wasn't in there and Lavergne got fast break points as a result, but depth is a part of the game too. Still a great season, 20-1 now, 38-3 the last 2 years with only 3 eighth-graders last year, the girls were naturally upset at first but I believe when they started thinking about it they realized pretty quick how much they accomplished, (they still had a ton of energy on the bus ride home, 3+ hours worth of singing, cheering and general 8th grade silliness ;) . )

Edited by Indian