Who will coach Obion County next season?

oc_rebel_25

Butch Hopkins,That is funny.... :lol:

But maybe he could get some of those boys from Dyersburg on a bus and come play at Troy ...

To the guy who said the Larry Shanks era at OC was a fiasco...

Look around at Rebel Field....Had it not been for Larry you would not have seen any of the things this program has now....With the building of the new school,OC will have one of the finer schools and facilities in the state...Larry had a vision for this program,he just wasn't allowed to finish it...I played one year under Larry at UC,yes,he is a little rough around the edges,but he does have a great football mind.And is a defensive guru...OC wasn't ready at the time to have a program compete with the boys basketball program.... thumb

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear Bill Kail from might be getting the job!!!!!anyone else here this yet?????

Yes I have heard that but i don't see it happening because if you remember he was a Whitby apprentice and was his assitant until he took the job at Hillcrest Jr. High. He would do the program a lot of good i beleive he would restore that program and he wouldn't take any crap off the adminstration or parents. But i don't think he'll turn in an application unless he is asked because of the way his mentor went out like he did.

Butch Hopkins,That is funny.... :blink:

But maybe he could get some of those boys from Dyersburg on a bus and come play at Troy ...

To the guy who said the Larry Shanks era at OC was a fiasco...

Look around at Rebel Field....Had it not been for Larry you would not have seen any of the things this program has now....With the building of the new school,OC will have one of the finer schools and facilities in the state...Larry had a vision for this program,he just wasn't allowed to finish it...I played one year under Larry at UC,yes,he is a little rough around the edges,but he does have a great football mind.And is a defensive guru...OC wasn't ready at the time to have a program compete with the boys basketball program.... thumb

825616803[/snapback]

Great football mind? Did you sniff glue that year? He's been a loser everywhere he's been. And, if you remember, the plans for the indoor practice facility started with pa Pratt.

Great football mind? Did you sniff glue that year? He's been a loser everywhere he's been. And, if you remember, the plans for the indoor practice facility started with pa Pratt.

825618716[/snapback]

You have no idea what you are talking about...But keep posting...You will get those numbers up eventually...And wasn't P.A. an assistant UNDER Larry at OCCHS???

Edited by occhsfanviachattanooga

I don't know about Obion but I know the gold is about to run out at Peabody in aboyt 3 years.  This is a good place for a coach who knows basketball.  Good luck Obion.  Cisco may be a good fit for you guys.  I think he would be better with white guys anyway.  He does not have a clue how to coach black kids.  Look at what Coach Whitby has done at Lake County.  He has adjusted very well.  He's present team skin color is different but he is gettin the same results from them.  Whitby should get coach of the year.

825576367[/snapback]

Could you please explain to everyone what you mean by the statement about coaching white boys.OCCHS doesnt have a group of black boys just one so far and maybe there could be more but there isnt a problem from the few blacks there at OCCHS is there. You are such a bigot to say such a thing

825618716[/snapback]

Larry Shanks also started the Obion County Youth Football League.Now instead of only having 2 years or less experience coming into high school,they have 6 or 7.Maybe he didn't have the best win-loss record,but he did the best he could with what he had.He is also one of the best people you'll ever meet.I know this is a basketball board,but I'm not going to sit by and let someone degrade a fine person and coach.And to answer your question occhsfan,Pratt was an assistant under Coach Shanks.

Very seldom do I reply to post on here but this is a topic that I would like my opinion stated. Obion County Central has reached the point that it is now a laughing stock and a complete death trap to coaches. I played ball for Coach Lee in Jr. High and he was an assistant all through my high school and he is by far the best coach that I have ever been exposed to. He has a deep passion for winning the right way through hard work and defense and is a true student of the game. He is one of the most demanding coaches i have played for, yet unquestionably fair. One of the things I remember him telling me when we were playing ball and he took a bunch of our players out was that he would rather lose by 50 with players that played hard, than win by 50 with a group of individuals who didn't put out. Better yet, he means it. He is what Central needs, but what they really don't want because he is by far the most unconcerned person when it comes to the politics that is OCCHS. He will speak his mind and could care less what parents went after him, he will not buckle to their pressures. Will he be offered/take the job? I don't know. But if he ends up at OC I would bet that in 3-5 years they would be back to a powerhouse and maybe then SF would realize what they had and who they lost. I would want nothing more than to see OC straighten their problems out and be back on top and a coach as loyal as Coach Lee is their answer, but until the fans, parents, administration, and all of the other basketball gurus in troy decide that a coach may know more about the game than themselves, the pit will be just another gym and central on the schedule will be just another game.

Larry Shanks also started the Obion County Youth Football League.Now instead of only having 2 years or less experience coming into high school,they have 6 or 7.Maybe he didn't have the best win-loss record,but he did the best he could with what he had.He is also one of the best people you'll ever meet.I know this is a basketball board,but I'm not going to sit by and let someone degrade a fine person and coach.And to answer your question occhsfan,Pratt was an assistant under Coach Shanks.

825619215[/snapback]

And this is the first year the junior highs are getting the kids that started the league...Next year when the kids hit junior high most will have played organized football since the first grade....He did so much more with and for this program than wins and losses have ever done ...His efforts are still impacting the football program at OCCHS...Thank you for your comments about Larry...He would give the shirt off his back for his former players...I thought so about P.A.