Who will coach Obion County next season?

oc_rebel_25

I heard someone mention Coach Glisson's name earlier. Does anyone know what he is up to these days? And yes if he has conquered his off court demons he would be a great coach anywhere he went. The whole race thing with Sisco should be dropped unless you know firsthand this is true. That is not something to joke about on a board like this. I think he would be a great fit at OCCHS as long as he gets the respect of his players from the time he walks in the door. Trenton has a few kids that have respect issues and are just plain tough to coach!! I don't wanna hear any whining about if so and so was coaching they wouldn't be like that because the truth is no matter who the coach is a few of those kids just won't listen!! The only people they listen to are the "coaches" that sit on the other side of the gym and try to tell the kids what to do. If the players listened to the coach half as much as they listened to their friends, family or whoever the "coaches" are then Sisco wouldn't have nearly as much trouble winning ball games. I would like to commend Coach Sisco on finally playing his best players during the tournaments and not getting pressured into playing his " so-called" talent. The fact is that some of the freshman on that team are more talented then the upperclassmen will ever be which is nobody's fault that is just how it is!! If Sisco ends up leaving I hope Trenton can land a quality coach(Glisson) that is willing to stick with the program and build it back to where it used to be. Sisco has started a good thing by getting the middle school players adjusted to him so they are ready to play when they reach the Highschool level. If they get someone that will continue to do that then Trenton's program could be going places.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to John a while ago before all this (the OC job) happend so I don't know how he feels about it. He is coaching baseball at Northside and seemed very content with where he is at. He told me he had no real intent of getting back to coaching basketball immediately. He lives in a close proximity to Trenton so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to go there but I don't see him leaving NS with the money he is making there and also the baseball program he's got. But I've known him and been close to him for 12 or so years and you never can tell about him.

I talked to John a while ago before all this (the OC job) happend so I don't know how he feels about it. He is coaching baseball at Northside and seemed very content with where he is at. He told me he had no real intent of getting back to coaching basketball immediately. He lives in a close proximity to Trenton so it wouldn't be a stretch for him to go there but I don't see him leaving NS with the money he is making there and also the baseball program he's got. But I've known him and been close to him for 12 or so years and you never can tell about him.

825593673[/snapback]

I was just wondering where coach Glisson went to. I remember now that he went to N.S. as baseball coach. I knew coach Glisson when he coached at Hillcreast over at Troy. I was disappointed when He turned down the O.C. job before. I really think he would be a good fit for that program. I wish him well where ever he goes.

I was just wondering where coach Glisson went to. I remember now that he went to N.S. as baseball coach. I knew coach Glisson when he coached at Hillcreast over at Troy. I was disappointed when He turned down the O.C. job before. I really think he would be a good fit for that program. I wish him well where ever he goes.

825595057[/snapback]

I was told John Glisson was at Dickson or dickson co...as a JR high basketball coach..somewhere close to where that coach at Martin went, after he was released(Tuck?). If the truth was told, about what Glisson did at GHS...no one would take him. Using school funds to purchase narcotics off the internet...no one wants him at their school, but thats just my opinion. But then, trenton radio took back that announcer, so anything goes.

My understanding is that Melvin Smith out of Missouri has been contacted to see if he might possiibly be interested... He is now eleigible for his State of Missouri retirement and this would offer him a great opportunity, Financially, personally and program wise... Great coach...

I was told John Glisson was at Dickson or dickson co...as a JR high basketball coach..somewhere close to where that coach at Martin went, after he was released(Tuck?). If the truth was told, about what Glisson did at GHS...no one would take him. Using school funds to purchase narcotics off the internet...no one wants him at their school, but thats  just my opinion. But then, trenton radio took back that announcer, so anything goes.

825595357[/snapback]

He was at Houston County last year for the last half of the year but I don't think he did any coaching. And apparently somebody wants him.

He did apply for the OC job a couple of years ago but stuck with Greenfield. (Good move considering the result of the year that followed) He started out in Obion and would probably taken the job that year had he not had Shane and others coming back. I don't really see him getting back into basketball unless the North Side job opens up but when I talked to him last month he was content with coaching baseball at NS and wasn't looking to get back into basketball at all. But like I said in my last post, you never know with him.

Don't go bashing Coach Davis.  Russ is a good man.  He could have easily said no to taking over the team, but he was loyal to those kids and did so.  You can't have a team unless you have talent.  Obviously, there is not a lot of talent at OC.  Kids just don't work at basketball like they used to at OCCHS.  I could be wrong about that, but don't go bashing Coach Davis.  He deserves some credit, and besides, when you are getting your brains bashed in, sometimes all you can do is grin and bear it.  Good luck to whoever they get to coach the team, because they have a struggle ahead of them.

825593485[/snapback]

I agree with you about not bashing Russ Davis...He has a family and probably in particular a son that reads this...But in reality he will be thought of in the same company as the last coach..So,I don't think he would be a good fit and probably couldn't get over that perception..Plus he had almost a whole year to show what he could do....The team really didn't respond to him...You are wrong though saying there is no talent at this school...Kids are playing basketball all the way from the first grade...Where are all these kids???...Look at this years sophmore class...Where are all the all-county players from their 8th grade playing days???...There are some really good players walking the halls at the school???...Why is that???...A new coach is going to have to go and recruit within the walls of the school and get some guys that need to be playing,out for basketball..The girls team is good and there is absolutely no reason the boys can't be good again...

Coach Davis was put in a bad situation to begin with, and besides, I think what happened to Coach Greer was a crock. He is a good coach in my opinion. Back to Coach Davis, it is hard to be thrust in that position after being an assistant. Also, the kids who got Coach Greer in this mess were probably still on the team, and I bet they were hard to coach. I mean if you were a player, and you got a coach in trouble and made him resign, then you would probably think you were Mr. Big Stuff. It is hard to coach a kid like that. I am just appalled at what has gone on at OCCHS, and I just want to stick up for Coach Davis, who I know is a good coach. I have first-hand knowledge of that. But OCCHS has more problems than who is coaching the boys basketball team, like parents, administrators, etc. The next guy, whoever he is, is going to get a slap in the face.

My understanding is that Melvin Smith out of Missouri has been contacted to see if he might possiibly be interested...  He is now eleigible for his State of Missouri retirement and this would offer him a great opportunity,  Financially, personally and program wise...  Great coach...

825595437[/snapback]

Didnt he win a couple of State Championships in Missouri? I believe he played for the University of Arkansas back in the 70's. Possibly for Eddie Sutton.

Don't go bashing Coach Davis.  Russ is a good man.  He could have easily said no to taking over the team, but he was loyal to those kids and did so.  You can't have a team unless you have talent.  Obviously, there is not a lot of talent at OC.  Kids just don't work at basketball like they used to at OCCHS.  I could be wrong about that, but don't go bashing Coach Davis.  He deserves some credit, and besides, when you are getting your brains bashed in, sometimes all you can do is grin and bear it.  Good luck to whoever they get to coach the team, because they have a struggle ahead of them.

825593485[/snapback]

To you Butkus it isnt a issue about bashing Davis.Yes he is given credit for taking the team but remember he wanted them anyway I am sure. But I didnt see any big difference from Greer just my opinion. He may be better at other sports but lets face it basketball isnt for Davis. Yes you are right there wasnt a great deal of talent but you go with what you have and make the best and i dint see the best. Yes those boys did just lay down and die they looked like they had already lost the game when the came out but you can only be as good as your leader, you have to have a strong person who will teach those that havent been taught RESPECT and DISCIPLINE

I don't see Coach Davis trying to weasel himself into Coach Greer's job. The bad attitudes were there before Coach Davis could institute some type of control. Let's put some blame on the players. Coach Davis played the hand he was dealt, period. Let's move on and hope that the next OCCHS boys basketball coach can swim with the sharks and produce a winning season.