Brainerd - Ooltewah Results and Stats?

bluetubby

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Curtis not start last year? I thought I remember him doing so, maybe not though.

825585409[/snapback]

nope curtis was a lot heavier and slower and couldn't jump near as high last year, he coudln't even come close to dunking....starting five was matt miller, courtney white, sherman moton, me, and hunter augistino....and bearmen, i dont know who you consider their best player, but corey sanders was out for the game..congratulations again to ooltewah

A more detailed analysis of the game:

Both teams played well, and the game was called pretty evenly. The Panthers shot up to a quick lead, especially with those backdoor uncontested laysup, but the Owls had evened it by the end of the 1st quarter. The Owls played very well in the 2nd, and got up to a 6 or 7 point lead after Foster had drained several 3's but Brainerd cut that down to 3 going into the half. The 3rd and 4th quarters saw Ooltewah holding onto the lead, but it was very apparent that Brainerd was not giving up and this thing was going down to the wire. Brandon played well over this stretch and pretty much took the game in his hands for a while, forcing turnovers and gliding to the basket for easy layups, but Brainerd stayed in, especially with the great shooting of Talley, especially behind the arc. With about 10 seconds left in the 4th, Ooltewah was up by 2 and Murray was at the line for 1 and 1 after being intentionally fouled, and his shot bounced around the rim a few times and dropped into the hands of a Brainerd player. After the time out, I believe it was Talley who ran the length of the floor and delivered a running jumper that reminded me a lot of Sherman's last year, and of course it went in as the buzzer sounded. My heart sunk, and I sat down for a second, but I looked over and saw the ref signalling a two, so there was still game left to be played.

The crowd got more into it and things got rowdy as Ooltewah and Brainerd hustled for the win. Foster showed his stuff again in OT and had several big plays that kept Ooltewah in it. Towards the end of the first OT with the game tied, Brainerd stalled for a minute and a half so they could get the last shot off. They missed their shot, and it was Ooltewah's ball with about 4 seconds left. On the inbounds, Baker showed he might cut it as a football coach as Courtney sprinted up the court and cut back to catch the lob and called timeout with about 2 seconds left. From the halfcourt, Brandon got the ball and drove to the basket but amongst a lot of contact got turned around the heaved the ball toward the basket but it didn't go in (I almost felt that after our last game in Brainerd the refs owed us a last-second call, but it didn't happen). In the second OT, Curtis was still alive with 4 fouls and had several big plays right in a row with about a minute left, including drawing two fouls and swishing 4 FTs in a row that pretty much sealed it for Ooltewah. There were so many great plays and great individual efforts during the course of the game that I wish I could describe them in detail, but I don't want to be up all night.

I can't forget that Brainerd played a great game, though. I feel a little cheated that Sanders wasn't there, but the Brainerd team that was out there definitely showed a lot of grit and talent too. Congratulations to them on a great season and we might just see them again in the Region Tournament.

But how much does it suck that it's in Cumberland? Who wants to drive 2 hours?

Oh yea, that's right. It seemed like Curt played a lot of minutes, but yea, that was the starting lineup. It's too bad Curtis wasn't in shape last year, he could have contributed a lot. It's weird to think of how great last years's team was, because they really were, but this team has its strong points too.

And yes, Corey Sanders was suspended from school and therefore the team because of disciplinary problems at school. He was the District season MVP.

Do they not give a tournament MVP? Because I definitely think Courtney and/or Brandon could have gotten that.

Wow!! Where can I start about this game. It was one of the best High School basketball games I have ever seen. Ooltewah really deserved to win this ball game tonight.

Coming up big for the Owls, none was bigger that the play of gaurd Chris Foster. He is the heart of the team and knocked down so many shots. The thing that impressed me the most was his hustle and will to win. The play where he threw the ball up for an oop and got it stolen and then turned around and just ripped a steal right from the guy and turned and laid it in was amazing. He really was the emotionall leader for this team, even after he fouled out in overtime. My MVP of the tournament though has to go to Mr. Brandon Brown. The kid was getting bumped and slapped all night and he didn't get frustrated, he just took over the game in the 4th quarter. No one on that floor could stop him. He was close to being the quickest, but he made up for the rest by his smarts. He really played an amazing game and deserved to be MVP. Curtis Porter was huge in the overtime periods. He played great the whole game but he really stepped up and took over the game when the 2nd OT started especially. He fought for so many rebounds late in the game and what about him knocking down those clutch free throws. Courtney White just carried his team. He took them from the first quarter to the 2nd OT. He really played a tremendous ball game and he as well took the game over in the 4th quarter. The Sanders kid, Murray, and the other big man really had some key plays suck as three pointers and blcoks. They helped key a victory. And Ron Baker deserved a win like this and he did a great job.

The Brainerd Panthers really play some solid ball tonight. Last night against Soddy Daisy the did not have a great game, but the came to play tonight. They really did play good. Daryl Ivery was tremendous. He had 27 points and kept them in the game late. He knocked down several three pointers. Emmanual Talley really couldnt get in the grrove tonight. He hit several good shots but seemed like he couldn't pull it all together. Cadarius Williams is the guy that came in and hit the clutch 2 pointer at the buzzer to tie the game and send it to overtime and it was a heck of a shot.

And I caled an Ooltewah win.

Leading Scorers-

Ooltewah- Brown 24 pts 5 assists, White 21, Foster 18 pts 7 assists, Porter 17 pts 11 rebounds.

Brainred- Daryl Ivery 27, Emmanual Talley 15, EJ Harris 8

Ahh, I think I got Ivery and Talley confused, but yea, Ivery came up big. And Williams too.

But I left Wes Murray off my list too. He didn't have any flashy plays this game, and actually missed a FT late in the 4th that would have won him the game, but he still plays very solid defense and I believe he was the one on Talley making him work for everything he got. Also, he was big in the Red Bank win. If either Murray or Foster are shooting well, it makes it much tougher to beat Ooltewah.

"Last year, Brandon wasn't even a good backup point guard,'' Baker said. "He was a turnover waiting to happen. This year, he's our most improved player."

Heh, good old Baker. Also, I've heard that Sanders might be moving out of Tennessee over the summer, which is very bad news for this team. He didn't get a whole lot of playing time, but showed flashes of brilliance when he did and, if he stays, will most likely be the centerpiece of our team. Can anyone confirm or deny it?