Sullivan Central vs. Bolivar Central

First let me congratulate the Cougars on their hard fought victory over a very good Alcoa team.  Secondly, I take exception to the statement that this is a group of OVERACHIEVERS.  This group has won for many years.  This is a group of kids that the community has waited to see play together.  They wil not amaze you with size, speed, quickness, athletic ability, etc.  But they do have HEART!  Yes, they have a very difficult task at hand.  No one expects them to win.  And I know for a fact that this group doesn't get rattled.  So who is the pressure on?  A team of OVERACHIEVERS that no one is giving a chance or a team that is supposed to win?  You tell me...

825611217[/snapback]

who is the pressure on??? the team that hasnt been to state in 20 years? or the team thats been 3 out of the last 4 and are the defending champs? you tell me who do you think is gonna be more nervous? i dont care how composed they are everyone gets rattled some at state tournament and being your first time makes it that much worse. granted they have their chance to win but they are the underdog and of course im gonna say my team will win. and yes they have overachieved did you expect them to make it to state? everyone keeps bringing up heart....you must think we dont have heart....you dont win a state championship without havin heart.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is the pressure on??? the team that hasnt been to state in 20 years? or the team thats been 3 out of the last 4 and are the defending champs? you tell me who do you think is gonna be more nervous? i dont care how composed they are everyone gets rattled some at state tournament and being your first time makes it that much worse. granted they have their chance to win but they are the underdog and of course im gonna say my team will win. and yes they have overachieved did you expect them to make it to state? everyone keeps bringing up heart....you must think we dont have heart....you dont win a state championship without havin heart.

825611271[/snapback]

Many of the players on the Central team have played in National AAU tournaments all across the country. It is not like they aren't used to seeing great competition. Are they nervous? I am sure they are. Do I think they can win? On paper, they don't stand a chance. But, the games are not played on paper. They have played teams that are bigger than they are several times this year. They have played against teams with kids who have already signed D-1 scholarships. I am not saying Bolivar doesn't have heart. I am sure they do. They are a great team. They are supposed to win. They are supposed to blow Central out. Regardless of the outcome, the Cougars are not OVERACHIEVERS. A lot of people close to the program knew some time back that this group was special. They are right where a lot of people expected them to be.

Many of the players on the Central team have played in National AAU tournaments all across the country.  It is not like they aren't used to seeing great competition.  Are they nervous?  I am sure they are.  Do I think they can win?  On paper, they don't stand a chance.  But, the games are not played on paper.  They have played teams that are bigger than they are several times this year.  They have played against teams with kids who have already signed D-1 scholarships.  I am not saying Bolivar doesn't have heart.  I am sure they do.  They are a great team.  They are supposed to win.  They are supposed to blow Central out.  Regardless of the outcome, the Cougars are not OVERACHIEVERS.  A lot of people close to the program knew some time back that this group was special.  They are right where a lot of people expected them to be.

825611343[/snapback]

Instead of looking all the way through the bracket...I'll just pick this game-Bolivar by 15+.

If you knew anything about Bolivar's team, you'd know how many hours Rudesill has invested in these guys and how HARD they've all worked to make it back. A lot of what you say would make sense against a team that is overconfident. In spite of what they hear from the fans, all of our guys are still HUNGRY for the gold ball. I've lived in different parts of the state and this is just a different level of basketball down here.

ALL the teams should be proud to have made it to the tourney.

Instead of looking all the way through the bracket...I'll just pick this game-Bolivar by 15+.

If you knew anything about Bolivar's team, you'd know how many hours Rudesill has invested in these guys and how HARD they've all worked to make it back. A lot of what you say would make sense against a team that is overconfident. In spite of what they hear from the fans, all of our guys are still HUNGRY for the gold ball. I've lived in different parts of the state and this is just a different level of basketball down here.

ALL the teams should be proud to have made it to the tourney.

825611444[/snapback]

I am taking nothing away from Bolivar. I know all too well that the brand of basketball played in that end of the state is far and away better than what we see up here. From what I have read, Bolivar is a GREAT team. It will be a pleasure to see them play. If they beat Central by 1 or 100, I am still proud of the Cougars. I am not saying that Bolivar is overconfident. It just seems from some of the posts on here that Central is terrible and has no business even being there. I disagree with that, and take exception to the statement they are OVERACHEIVERS. Central and Austin East are the two best teams left from the Knoxville-Tri-City area. They EARNED what they got. I am as proud of them as you are of your team. I haven't, nor will I ever, say anything bad about an opposing team. If Bolivar is that good, it will be a pleasure to watch them play. And if they beat Central, good for them and best of luck the rest of the way. It will be no disgrace for Central or anyone else to lose to the State Champ. At least they had the opportunity to play. That is something a lot of other teams would love to have this time of year.

Win or lose when you make it to the State you can hold your head high because you are one of only eight teams that made it. Central has a good sound ball team with lots of depth. However they are getting ready to play a team like they haven't faced before. But look back at last year Bolivar wins in first round by 3, wins in second round by 3 in overtime, final was a blowout by 20. They didn't exactly walk through the tournament last year! If you have to play a great team I think you have a better chance to win by playing them early, mainly because of the 10 day layoff. Don't start shing that gold ball yet for Bolivar. There are other teams MLK, R-E, and Haywood who are very talented also. Central won't be intimidated. I hope to see all the Central fans in Murphy Center Thursday. Remember game time is Central time 12:15. I already have my orange shirts in the suitcase!! Good luck to Unaka and Tenn. High also.

In the famous words of Miles Lane---LET"S GET IT ON!!!!!!!!

Those rankings are mostly BULL. Central has beaten at least 4 teams ranked ahead of them. If we want to use the rankings let's all stay home and give the title to Raliegh-Egypt!!!!!

825611564[/snapback]

if they were so much bull why is it that the 2 favorites to play in the championship game, Raleigh-Egypt and Bolivar, are ranked number 1 and 2. i like the rankings on here they are the truth unlike the ap poll which really is bull.

these polls are bull. unicoi county, south green, and alcoa are all ranked above sullivan central. and yeah central has beaten them all, unicoi 3 times. i'm not saying central will win, however, at this point to say they haven't earned what they have gotten is stupid. the cougars are where they are not because of luck, they have lots of talent and most importantly heart. the games are not played on paper or in some poll, they are played on the court. best of luck to all teams that have made it this far. all the teams deserve to be here, not just some of them. GO COUGARS!!!!!

look chs since you keep bringing up "overachievers" everytime you post....Sullivan Central is ranked 26th on here and they are in the final 8 so i'd say that is overachieving, according to coacht there are 18 better teams in AA that didnt make it this far.

825611554[/snapback]

Btown, you were the one who said the Cougar's overacheived. I can't figure that one out, unless you have personally seen all the teams they have played. My guess is you haven't. If you say they overachieved, what's your take on the whole tournament. If Bolivar does not win it all, will they be underachievers? I doubt it. Say what you like, but every team in the tournament earned what they got. Every one of them deserve to be there. Like I said earlier, there are a lot of teams who would like the opportunity to be in the "Boro next week.

these polls are bull. unicoi county, south green, and alcoa are all ranked above sullivan central. and yeah central has beaten them all, unicoi 3 times. i'm not saying central will win, however, at this point to say they haven't earned what they have gotten is stupid. the cougars are where they are not because of luck, they have lots of talent and most importantly heart. the games are not played on paper or in some poll, they are played on the court. best of luck to all teams that have made it this far. all the teams deserve to be here, not just some of them. GO COUGARS!!!!!

825611837[/snapback]

never said they didnt earn being here....just said there are more talented teams that didnt make it. and these polls on here are by far the most accurate ones...not perfect but alot closer than most. but i agree it dont matter, well settle it on the court. OOOOOO.....OOOOOOO.....OOOOOOOO.....BTOWN TIGERS!! i can hear it already rattling the walls at the Murphy Center.

look chs since you keep bringing up "overachievers" everytime you post....Sullivan Central is ranked 26th on here and they are in the final 8 so i'd say that is overachieving, according to coacht there are 18 better teams in AA that didnt make it this far.

825611554[/snapback]

As for the rankings on here...who does them and when was the last time they made a trip east of Knoxville to see a team play? Contrary to what most people think, the state does not end in Knoxville. Does anyone remember Science Hill?