Will Tyler Smith go to UT now?

Gerry Bertier

Summit is not going to be the mens coach at UT, or anywhere else.

825628058[/snapback]

She has been offered many times before. WHy take a step backward's ,Mens ball stinks compared to women's ,The Womens game is pure b-ball. The men's is boring "look at me" ball . Not just UT, in all of B-Ball. Look how low rated last years Mens final four was and how highly TV rated the womens was.Same for the NBA,The TV ratings stink and not many people follow it.

As far as Memphis State Basketball, They are ok, But to hear allot of people on here talk,They have all this talent and a lifetime program just a touch over .600 .

They cant crow about anything except being mediocre,same as UT mens.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Pat doesn't want the Men's job it is because her freshman class this last year was the BEST EVER in the history of women's basketball. Why would she leave that situtation. Parker will be healthy next year and will be the best player in the country.

825628199[/snapback]

It would have been scary how good they would have been this year had she have gotten to play.

She has been offered many times before. WHy take a step backward's ,Mens ball stinks compared to women's ,The Womens game is pure b-ball. The men's is boring "look at me" ball . Not just UT, in all of B-Ball. Look how low rated last years Mens final four was and how highly TV rated the womens was.Same for the NBA,The TV ratings stink and not many people follow it.

As far as Memphis State Basketball, They are ok, But to hear allot of people on here talk,They have all this talent and a lifetime program just a touch over .600  .

They cant crow about anything except being mediocre,same as UT mens.

825628125[/snapback]

Are you crazy??? College bball stinks??? It is the best basketball around!!! Espically this time a year. Look at all the upsets and the man bobby knight is back in the sweet 16!! Pat would never take the ut men's job maybe some job somewere else but definitely not at ut

i don't think Pat could recruit teenage boys to play for he. Not that i don't think she can do the job cause it's been proven she can and knows how to win. It's just guys ego's are so high when they are being recruited by D1 colleges that they would feel they could relate and play better under a male coach. It would be great if she could do it but i still don't think todays world would allow it to happen and her be successful. As for her situation as the Lady Vols coach, why would she want to leave that? she has set the standards for women's basketball. i don't see her seriously considering the boys job. Recruting would be the only problem if she was to feel the need to coach the men. As sadly as that sounds. Good Luck and Congrats to Pat Summit on her great accomplishment and Good Luck to Tyler Smith who will represent Tennessee the right way whereever he plays.

Despite my true & unrelenting love for message boards, especially those found on the illustrious Coach T, I am not going to read all 9 pages of posts that preceed mine. However, I will make my very general comment. Whoever had any intention of going to the University of Tennessee to play basketball should be even more excited about attending there now that a coach who prides in mediocrity and lackluster defensive effort has been sent to be Pat Summit's #1 fan.

Buzz should really just go enjoy his tremendous check and maybe see if he can pick up the Smith County girls job. That seems to be a hot number these days.

I agree that Pat Summit won't coach any men's team. Her graduation rate is close to 100%. She'd never get that many prima donnas to go to class and actually earn a degree! B) Is there going to be a Memphis U. reply stating how much better their graduation rate is? Nope. I'm afraid Vandy and Lipscomb are going to be fighting it out for first in this race! :lol:

Ok.....Green re-recruited him.  O'Neill had been working on Yarbrough for 3 years prior and had signed his step-brother Del Baker which is probably the only reason Jerry Green was able to convince Yarbrough not to go to Kentucky.  I think the same argument could be made for Slay and Haislip.  KO was a serious recruiter! Guys leave every time there is a coaching change, no matter who you get.  I don't expect this one will be any different.

825627378[/snapback]

Kevin O'Neill NEVER seriously recruited Vincent Yarbrough. O'Neill was a great recruiter, probably superior to Green. But Yarbrough's high school coach probably had as much to do with Tennessee getting him as his brother going to UT did.

They gave Vincent Yarbourgh's high school coach a mysterious high paying "administrative position" that he was not qualified for. That, along with them giving a scholarship to his brother Del Baker are the main reasons he went to UTK. Plus he wanted to go somewhere he could start right away and be "da man!"

As for th UTK mens job, I really think it will come down to two people and either one would be a great addition. It will be Coach Anderson (UAB) or Coach Altman (Creighton). I don't think they can go wrong with either one of those coaches. I think Coach Pearl (UW-M) still has a chance at the job, but from what I've read and heard Hamilton was very impressed with Altman and Anderson.

They gave Vincent Yarbourgh's high school coach a mysterious high paying "administrative position" that he was not qualified for. That, along with them giving a scholarship to his brother Del Baker are the main reasons he went to UTK. Plus he wanted to go somewhere he could start right away and be "da man!"

As for th UTK mens job, I really think it will come down to two people and either one would be a great addition. It will be Coach Anderson (UAB) or Coach Altman (Creighton). I don't think they can go wrong with either one of those coaches. I think Coach Pearl (UW-M) still has a chance at the job, but from what I've read and heard Hamilton was very impressed with Altman and Anderson.

825628812[/snapback]

I am almost certain that the position of assistant coach is neither "mysterious" nor an "administrative position." Is that a quote from the University of Tennessee? Yarbrough would have started right away at Kentucky. You may (or may not) recall that Tennessee was playing at about the same level as Kentucky during Yarbrough's underclass years. I do not for a moment think that Mike Hamilton has the final say on who the coach at UT will be but I do believe that Anderson, Lutz, and one other "mysterious" figure are in the running for the head coaching position.

I am almost certain that the position of assistant coach is neither "mysterious" nor an "administrative position."  Is that a quote from the University of Tennessee?  Yarbrough would have started right away at Kentucky.  You may (or may not) recall that Tennessee was playing at about the same level as Kentucky during Yarbrough's underclass years.  I do not for a moment think that Mike Hamilton has the final say on who the coach at UT will be but I do believe that Anderson, Lutz, and one other "mysterious" figure are in the running for the head coaching position.

825629120[/snapback]

I played against Vincent in high school and as a result followed the situation very closely. Let me point out some things about your post. The Cleveland high school coach was given an ADMINISTRATIVE postion on the "coaching staff". He did not have game preparation or practice responsibilities. All his staff responsibilities were administrative. And, Yarbourgh would not have walked into the gymnasium and been handed the "star player" role at UK. Thats exactly what he got at UT. He was very close with Del and that played a huge factor.

And, concerning your comment about Hamilton and the UTK men's position: you sound like somebody that has absolutely no clue what they are talking about. Hamilton will make the final decision b/c thats what the UTK president has said. Who do you think will be the one making the call? Anderson, Lutz, Altman, Pearl, and Knight are they only names that have been mentioned. Who is this "mysterious" candidate that you talk about?