What High School in Tennessee do You think should be stronger

BigDave67

• 1 month later...

Ive always felt schools like Warren County, Franklin County, and Coffee County should achieve more than they do, but if I had to pick 2 schools that consistently under achieve that would be Cookeville and Lebanon. These are schools who should be able to compete with anybody. Lebanon used to hold their own with Rutherford County, but now they havent had a winning season since 2006. Cookeville is an average team who always benefited from easy district schedules and STILL couldnt get past the first round or 2. Cookeville should be a consistent 9 or 10 win team in my opinion. Both schools brought in new coaches this year with great pedigree's and if Harp and Maynord can't turn these programs into contenders....it makes you wonder who can. 

I watched Heritage play a couple of times this year and they start seven to eight seniors on both sides of the ball so I don't see anything in the near future. Also watched the JV and Freshman teams play and they only had two plays, sweep right or sweep left. After I saw that I made my mind up fast that the program is a mess. Love to see Heritage rebuild into something good but Tim has his work cut out for him and at the age of fifty seven will he be here that long to see something like that through.

There should be a special division for teams that have hit the bottom like this to only play against each other and when one team starts to win then they can graduate out of that group back into the regular system. There is no fun in watching certain teams lose every game year after year. Right off bat Heritage, Halls, Karns, Cocke County,Kingston and Austin East would be just a small list of schools that have fell on hard times. Doing this would bring fans back into the stands and kids back out to play football. 

It's called Relegation.

In sports leagues, promotion and relegation is a process where teams are transferred between two divisions based on their performance for the completed season. The best-ranked teams in the lower division are promoted to the division above, and the worst-ranked teams in the higher division are relegated to the division below. In some leagues play-offs or qualifying rounds are also used to determine rankings. This process can continue through several levels, with teams being exchanged between levels 1 and 2, levels 2 and 3, levels 3 and 4, and so on. During the season, teams that are high enough in the table that they would qualify for promotion are sometimes said to be in the promotion zone, and those at the bottom are in the relegation zone (or, colloquially, the drop zone).[1][2]

The number of teams exchanged between the divisions is normally identical. Exceptions occur when the higher division wishes to change the size of its membership, or has lost one or more of its clubs (to financial insolvency, for example) and wishes to restore its previous membership size, in which case fewer teams may be relegated from that division, or more accepted for promotion from the division below. Such variations will almost inevitably cause a "knock-on" effect through the lower divisions. For example, in 1995 the Premier League voted to reduce its numbers by two and achieved the desired change by relegating four teams instead of the usual three, whilst allowing only two promotions from Football League Division One.

The system is said to be the defining characteristic of the "European" form of professional sports league organization. Promotion and relegation have the effect of allowing the maintenance of a hierarchy of leagues and divisions, according to the relative strength of their teams. They also maintain the importance of games played by many low-ranked teams near the end of the season, which may be at risk of relegation. In contrast, a low-ranked US or Canadian team's final games serve little purpose, and in fact losing may be beneficial to such teams, yielding a better position in the next year's draft.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Ive always felt schools like Warren County, Franklin County, and Coffee County should achieve more than they do, but if I had to pick 2 schools that consistently under achieve that would be Cookeville and Lebanon. These are schools who should be able to compete with anybody. Lebanon used to hold their own with Rutherford County, but now they havent had a winning season since 2006. Cookeville is an average team who always benefited from easy district schedules and STILL couldnt get past the first round or 2. Cookeville should be a consistent 9 or 10 win team in my opinion. Both schools brought in new coaches this year with great pedigree's and if Harp and Maynord can't turn these programs into contenders....it makes you wonder who can. 

I'm with you on this! I believe Warren, Franklin and Coffee counties should be more productive than they are. For example, our youth teams dominate in Coffee county and are usually competing for championship against either Franklin or Warren county. What ticks me off most is that we have an excellent youth program here, 2 middle schools (coffee county middle and westwood middle) who absolutely dominate every time they play. Hopefully some new hires for the 2014 season will turn things around! Coach Sulkowski for Coffee County has a VERY impressive resume, hopefully it shows on the field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't get this.  Yes there are some bad teams in Memphis, but there are just as many good ones.  Whitehaven, Whitestation, Arlington, Germantown, Ridgeway and several others produce constant winners.  So yes it is some, but not quite the entire city of Memphis. 

there has been 4 state champs there since '09..for how big memphis is and how small tennessee is thats a joke. 

• 3 weeks later...