Football and Wrestling

mjgIII

Well big earl, im just going from what I have seen. I have played football, basketball,and soccer in my time so I know a thing or two about sports. I have never wrestled but I had a friend who wrestled and I went to one of his practices in high school. And one thing I can tell you is they were on the auditorium stage on the mat the whole time. I did not see anything at that practice that came close to football practice. I would much rather be indoors in shorts and t-shirts than be outside in full pads in the summer heat any day. but that's just my opinion. If people want to think wrestling is harder than football they are entitled to their opinion too. Take a chill pill dude.

Lol

yeah I wouldn't ask anyone either

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I wouldn't ask anyone either

What would be the point? You aren't going to get an objective answer when you ask a question like that. If someone favors football they are going to tell you football is tougher and if you ask someone who favors wrestling they will tell you wrestling is tougher, heck I even had a cheerleader tell me that cheerleading is rougher than any other sport lol. People inherently have egos and they want to think whatever they are apart of is the best. Its the same thing with people in any branch of the service. If you talk to someone from the army,air force,navy,or marines they will all tell you that their branch is the best. That's just the way it is. And I have my own opinion of this matter based off of my life experience. And being a multiple sport athlete I can tell you that nothing I have played comes close to football.

What would be the point? You aren't going to get an objective answer when you ask a question like that. If someone favors football they are going to tell you football is tougher and if you ask someone who favors wrestling they will tell you wrestling is tougher, heck I even had a cheerleader tell me that cheerleading is rougher than any other sport lol. People inherently have egos and they want to think whatever they are apart of is the best. Its the same thing with people in any branch of the service. If you talk to someone from the army,air force,navy,or marines they will all tell you that their branch is the best. That's just the way it is. And I have my own opinion of this matter based off of my life experience. And being a multiple sport athlete I can tell you that nothing I have played comes close to football.

Big Earl gittin' riled up!!!!!

Well big earl, im just going from what I have seen. I have played football, basketball,and soccer in my time so I know a thing or two about sports. I have never wrestled but I had a friend who wrestled and I went to one of his practices in high school. And one thing I can tell you is they were on the auditorium stage on the mat the whole time. I did not see anything at that practice that came close to football practice. I would much rather be indoors in shorts and t-shirts than be outside in full pads in the summer heat any day. but that's just my opinion. If people want to think wrestling is harder than football they are entitled to their opinion too. Take a chill pill dude. Lol

91 at times you embarrass yourself and you dont even realize it.I had two sons that did both,Wrestling is by far the most energy draining sport i have watched.College coaches love wrestling football players and some will recruit just for tbat fact(as earl said ask Ridge).Wrestling is harder than football.No comparison to the two,watch how much conditioning goes into wrestling its crazy,and i am all football.I have a ton of respect for wrestlers! Edited by orngnblk

I guess i'm an idiot for thinking that being indoors in shorts and t-shirts and only going against guys your own size is easier than being outdoors in the summer heat and getting your bell wrung by guys who might weigh 50 to 100 pounds more than you. How could I be so clueless? Lol

Edited by Governors91

I guess i'm an idiot for thinking that being indoors in shorts and t-shirts and only going against guys your own size is easier than being outdoors in the summer heat and getting your bell wrung by guys who might weigh 50 to 100 pounds more than you. How could I be so clueless? Lol

Not an idiot just misinformed.Whole lot more goes into wrestling than what you "see".Not eating for 18 to 24 hours to cut weight,then eating like crazy after weigh in to have enough energy to compete.Alot of times you have to wrestle ul to get the numbers right for the best of the team,its a very tough sport.

I think it's pointless to have these kind of arguments because its all a matter of opinion. Different people will find some sports more difficult for different reasons. For example one of the things I always hear from guys who wrestle is that one of the hardest things about wrestling is the pressure of being all alone man to man. They say wrestling is different because its just you going balls to the wall and you dont have teammates to bail you out. But in my opinion there's alot more pressure on you in team sports like football because when you screw up you don't just let yourself down, you let the whole team down. You are not the only one that loses, your whole team loses. like I said though that's just my opinion.

Edited by Governors91

I think it's pointless to have these kind of arguments because its all a matter of opinion. Different people will find some sports more difficult for different reasons. For example one of the things I always hear from guys who wrestle is that one of the hardest things about wrestling is the pressure of being all alone man to man. They say wrestling is different because its just you going balls to the wall and you dont have teammates to bail you out. But in my opinion there's alot more pressure on you in team sports like football because when you screw up you don't just let yourself down, you let the whole team down. You are not the only one that loses, your whole team loses. like I said though that's just my opinion.

Wrestling is a team sport,and individual all together.Team points win region tourn,i think there is alot you just arent aware of but as you said everyone can have a difference of opinion.Good luck Fri!

Well at least you can admit it and that's the first step to recovery.

....... And being a multiple sport athlete I can tell you that nothing I have played comes close to football.

Sorry Gov but this is not simply a matter of opinion. Wrestling is by far the tougher sport. I have boys who do both competitively and I can guarantee you this. Ask any young man who has done both. And I don't mean kids who wrestled once. Ask kids who medaled at state and it will be unanimous. The practices are way more grueling. The discipline required to maintain weight and hydration. My oldest son would lose anywhere between 5 and 9 pounds EVERY practice and He was a starter last year at Blackman at football as well. My middle son is nearly the same. It's just no comparison for those who are serious about wrestling.

Govenors91,

I am not going to take the liberty to call you an idiot like others on this board but I will say that you are uneducated with regards to the differences between football and wrestling.  There is a reason that the military academies and special forces units seek out wrestlers over all other athletes and that is the mental toughness that wrestlers display under pressure. If I were a high school football coach I would require all of my players that did not participate in another winter sport to wrestle.  We would go to the weight room for 1:15 and then to the wrestling room for another 1:30.  Wrestling helps the OL & DL with hand fighting, balance, leverage, etc...and it assist the others with learning how to tackle.  Even a small 120/lb wrestler knows how to tackle or would be able to hang on until help arrived. How many high school football games are lost each year due to missed tackles? It's all about being able to have good fundamentals and make plays under pressure.  Successful wrestlers must do this every day.

Edited by cbg