L.O.D The Wingt 6a

apsugov7

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Coach Creasy had won a state title at another school before going to Oakland.  If so this ain't his first bite at the championship apple.

If you are right. I stand corrected, in that regard. However, this would be his first bite at the 6A level, that is for sure. There have only been 7 coaches to experience it. Two coaches out of the East. Coach Quarles (7) and coach Creasy (1). Five coaches out of the West. Coach Saulsberry (3), coach Hester (2), coach Rutherford (1), coach Hatfield (1), and coach Williams (1).

If you are right. I stand corrected, in that regard. However, this would be his first bite at the 6A level, that is for sure. There have only been 7 coaches to experience it. Two coaches out of the East. Coach Quarles (7) and coach Creasy (1). Five coaches out of the West. Coach Saulsberry (3), coach Hester (2), coach Rutherford (1), coach Hatfield (1), and coach Williams (1).

Creasy has at least 3 from his stint at Trousdale Co.

2A. I think he is just giving everybody the facts. Which is Creasy does have multiple titles to his name. Regardless the classification.

That I realize. My point being ... it's a difference between playing for a gold ball in 2A vs playing for a gold ball in 6A. Big difference. You can get away with some stuff in 2A that won't fly in 6A. That's all.

Edited by kwc

Creasy had a stint at R'dale VERY early with the Coach that is at a middle school now.  He has seen big successful programs before.  At the time he was there R'dale was the biggest successful program in the state.  It went straight downhill under Coach A.  The first thing to go was discipline and multiple lines on both offense and defense.

If nothing else then actually studying film should have told him to prepare. 

For some reason EVERY Coach here in Rutherford County has stopped having two or more lines for each way to play.  WAY too many are being played BOTH ways.

Look at both the Haven and Maryville.  They both know that playing so many both ways will leave you weak in the second half, if not sooner.

Edited by Lost Old Dad

Creasy had a stint at R'dale VERY early with the Coach that is at a middle school now. He has seen big successful programs before. At the time he was there R'dale was the biggest successful program in the state. It went straight downhill under Coach A. The first thing to go was discipline and multiple lines on both offense and defense.

If nothing else then actually studying film should have told him to prepare.

For some reason EVERY Coach here in Rutherford County has stopped having two or more lines for each way to play. WAY too many are being played BOTH ways.

Look at both the Haven and Maryville. They both know that playing so many both ways will leave you weak in the second half, if not sooner.

LOD:

It takes 15 weeks to win a gold ball in D1 high school football in Tennessee. 15 weeks. Attrition IS going to happen. Some years are worse then others, but it will affect every team.

I know it took the coaches at Whitehaven a while to get to the mindset of playing more then one guy at a position. I began noticing it within the past 8 to 9 years that we play more linemen during the regular season. That is the one area that you have to develop depth. However, it's not the only area we develop depth. It starts in spring practice and continues. Gut, you have to produce as well. You don't hit the field if you don't know the plays, or you just don't give any effort. You will stand on the sidelines. The young'uns pick up on it. Coach will put you in regular season games if you pay attention at practice and you give effort. That also requires the upper classmen to take the young guys under their wings and adopt a younger guy. Teach him the ropes. Show, by example, how to work and get better. The starters need reliable guys who can come in and keep things going. You are only a twisted ankle away from having your #2 guy in the line-up. It helps to preserve your guys through a long season. If you can develop depth ... do it. At Whitehaven, the motto is "Next man up!".

Edited by kwc

The last year R'dale won the Gold Ball the offense had 6 complete O-lines and 4 complete D-Lines.  Oakland wasn't hurt that much this year during the playoffs and regular season.  Their schedule wasn't really tough until they played Maryville.

I watch the lines VERY carefully because everything else keys off them.  They play bad, and everything is downhill.  Also kids need to know the difference between running and passing blocking.  They ARE different animals.  The one line Coach that knows how to Coach them is Coach Steve Britton and a 'volunteer' Coach R'dale had named McDaniel.  He was Spike McDaniel's Dad.  Was a 'pretty good' lineman himself when he played for the Miami Dolphins the year they went undefeated in the NFL.

Folks say I expect too much from these 'kids'.  Maybe so but if they want to be considered Young MEN then they need to step up and act like it!