Why login?

• It's free
  • Participate in the discussions
  • Contribute schedules, rosters and scores
  • Hide the advertising on the message boards by becoming a Plus member
  • Welcome to CoachT.com!

You can't become a part of our great high school sports community without logging in!

Regular visitors will tell you: they love keeping up with teams outside their own area. That only happens when we share information here on CoachT.com!

Don't have an account? It only takes a second to create one, and it's even easier with a Facebook or Twitter account!
    Photo

What needs to happen? TSSAA

• Please log in to reply
    30 replies to this topic

#1 Gerry Bertier

Gerry Bertier

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 6,311 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

The TSSAA needs to address the issue of our state teams not being able to compete in these national tournaments. This year Memphis East and Riverdale Lady Warriors will be denied an opportunity to represent Tennessee on a national stage. The times have changed where this should not be an issue anymore.

My question- what has to happen to make this change? Will a school have to submit a proposal and have it voted on across the state? Or can a executive decision be made?

What do others think?
    In memory of Btown (1986-2005)

#2 CoachGamble

CoachGamble

Camper

• Members
    • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

Definitely should be allowed, im not sure what has to happen. All states should allow teams to compete, no reason not to.

#3 Shozen

Shozen

Competitor

• Members
    • 489 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:29 PM

It will only be allowed if the "non-profit" TSSAA benefit from it like they from getting 40% of the gate proceeds at all the Sectional games.

I think the teams should just play anyways. What would the TSSAA actually do if they did?

#4 TryNotToSuck

TryNotToSuck

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 59 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:26 PM

It will only be allowed if the "non-profit" TSSAA benefit from it like they from getting 40% of the gate proceeds at all the Sectional games.

I think the teams should just play anyways. What would the TSSAA actually do if they did?

That's a good question. We should tell East and Riverdale to send their teams to these national tournaments (they deserve the right to showcase their talent on the 'national' stage) and then whatever penalties they get from the TSSAA would be the answer to your question. 

#5 toinemac

toinemac

Medalist

• Members
    • 1,009 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:36 PM

That's a good question. We should tell East and Riverdale to send their teams to these national tournaments (they deserve the right to showcase their talent on the 'national' stage) and then whatever penalties they get from the TSSAA would be the answer to your question.

I don't think the people who run that tournament want to have a fight with the state level associations so they request that teams be allowed. If the TSSAA announced that they won't allow our champs to play Dick's won't invite them.

#6 Gerry Bertier

Gerry Bertier

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 6,311 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

I don't think the people who run that tournament want to have a fight with the state level associations so they request that teams be allowed. If the TSSAA announced that they won't allow our champs to play Dick's won't invite them.

Not true at all.

http://usatodayhss.c...dicks-nationals
    In memory of Btown (1986-2005)

#7 tradertwo

tradertwo

Champion

• CoachT+
    • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

The TSSAA needs to address the issue of our state teams not being able to compete in these national tournaments. This year Memphis East and Riverdale Lady Warriors will be denied an opportunity to represent Tennessee on a national stage. The times have changed where this should not be an issue anymore.

My question- what has to happen to make this change? Will a school have to submit a proposal and have it voted on across the state? Or can a executive decision be made?

What do others think?

I think that it's absolutely ridiculous. Should be as simple as an executive decision in the moment, but would need to be voted on to be made a permanent "rule change", or suspension of the current policy. I'd start by writing an appeal to TSSAA if I were a representative of one of the schools who received an invite, and would publicize the issue...pressure from the media/public probably would have more impact on initiating an immediate decision than their moral responsibility to act within the time frame to allow them to play.

Just another example of a simple matter being complicated by TSSAA.

#8 toinemac

toinemac

Medalist

• Members
    • 1,009 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

Not true at all.

http://usatodayhss.c...dicks-nationals

I may be wrong but your link only addresses getting the states ruling body to change its mind not what happens if they don't which is what I was postulating. Has Dicks ever invited a team that was told absolutely no by their statewide association.

#9 12thmanGCA

12thmanGCA

Challenger

• Members
    • 591 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

There is a new AllStar game in Knoxville this year April 7 - to avoid any eligibility issues the All Star organization had to pay $1,000 to TSSAA to certify the event so participants are not ineligible for Spring sports. Think about that ....A kid that plays in a basketball all star game post season is not eligible to play in the baseball regular season unless the All Star game is certified.....which basically means a payoff to TSSAA cause nothing gets approved unless $$$$ exchanges hands

Maybe they should allow the teams to certify themselves to play national events .....that should take like $2,500 😂

Edited by 12thmanGCA, 13 March 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#10 Indian

Indian

Hall of Famer

• CoachT+
    • 14,884 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

It's on the tssaa agenda to consider the appeal for East.this week.

Edited by Indian, 13 March 2017 - 10:56 AM.

Spirit Style Chooser: