All Time Maryville Team

GhostofGQ

17 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Thanks Starz. I wasn't quite sure. Glad he got a chance to play in the state championship game his senior year. Was that against Humbolt or Milan?

32h.....agin tha Humboldt Vikins......Led by James "Punkin" Williams and a Blakemore kid.....(Both SEC commintments).....Thay kicked a feeled gole wif time runnin' out and beet tha Rebs 13-10.....Bawl didun't git moore than a few feat hi and skimmed ovur tha crossbar......Best eye reemimburr...:unsure:

24 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

I don't know if I can make an all-time team because there's been so many great players...but the best team of all-time was the 2013 squad, IMO

AR thait '13 bunch wuz problee tha most effishunt teem eye cain reemimburr att 825.....Garrett ran thait teem like a pro at QB.....:thumb:

19 hours ago, AllRegion said:

I don't know if I can make an all-time team because there's been so many great players...but the best team of all-time was the 2013 squad, IMO

The 2013 team was very good, but I don't think they could hang with the 2011 team. The offensive line in 2011 was great and I think the defense was much better in 2011. Both very good teams though!

22 hours ago, STARSNBARS said:

AR thait '13 bunch wuz problee tha most effishunt teem eye cain reemimburr att 825.....Garrett ran thait teem like a pro at QB.....:thumb:

You aren't wrong. I have never seen a kid be so shifty with the football. It felt like he didn't make a wrong read in 15 games either. It was a sight to behold, Stars :thumb:

2 hours ago, GhostofGQ said:

The 2013 team was very good, but I don't think they could hang with the 2011 team. The offensive line in 2011 was great and I think the defense was much better in 2011. Both very good teams though!

You're right, the 2011 team was outstanding. For some reason though, I think the 2013 team had a more effective offense, and the defense was fairly stout in its own right. I'd love to be able to see a game between those two teams! Neither team was truly challenged throughout their seasons, and the rest of Maryville's 15-0 teams at least had a partial scare. 

5 hours ago, GhostofGQ said:

GGQ tha 2011 teem wuz vurry fizzycul att tha LOS....And a grait teem az well....Tha '13 teem inn my mind maxxymized thair abillitee az well az enny GQ haid and haid vurry vurry fue ternovurs.....jmo.....:thumb:

My era spans the last 25 years plus, so my apologies to those I did not see. I have seen Spradlin on film though, darn good. Talked to him the other day and nice to see him doing well. During my time, throw in Shawn Prevo, Michael Potter and Carl Stewart. hard to pick the best.  Single game rushing record held by Coulter Grove Middle School teacher and MHS Coach Jason Hicks 212 yds vs Smyrna.

Kicker-Zack Sharp. MHS has been lucky in having some excellent kickers over the years but 111 PAT's in row is a record that will be hard to beat. Most memorable, the late FG by Justin Dierdorf to beat Halls late and his 50 yarder against Central. 

Center  I'll have to go with my favorites Brandon Waters and Jay Guillermo. 

QB by the numbers Brent Burnette , honorable mention to Jason Phillips and Cade Thompson.  Just our leadership, Nick Myers, Garrett and Derek Hunt.  

Best receiver, Kelby Brock and very close behind Tyler and Ryan Maples. Honorable mention to my favorite David sweetland. MHS did not throw as much when the Maples and Sweetland were reeking havoc on the field. Just behind them Kyle Harris. 

DB I'll go with "The Shark" Scot Wilks, Andrew Clements and both Maples. Got to go. Finish later.  Going to review some audio tapes from way back when. 

Best team?? I kind of like the 1998 boys. In particular the dubbing of Wm Blount comes to mind. Not because of the score, but because of the newspaper coverage of Wm Blount that week. WB  was invincible, they were pictured if I remember correctly around a military vehicle with bands of bullets One young man who I will keep nameless came onto the filed to receive the kick off sprouting two middle fingers as he took his position. He received the opening kick off only to fumble the ball which MHS recovered. Coach Hammondtree did not let up until the very last minutes of that game. Final Score MHS 65 Wm Blount 7. No mercy rule back then. Talking to Hammondtree way back then and he felt his team had be slighted and he used that article to full advantage. The elizabethton game was a very good win at Elizabethton with QB Shawn Witten a Va Tech commitment and a freshman name Jason Witten played in that game QB Witten was a very elusive QB. Final Score MHS 20 EHS 16. back to work.