STATE NEEDS TO CHANGE

whoAMi01

I'm sure you guys have seen what's going on down here in Georgia......sad that we have 7 classifications (A - AAAAAAA), but we have area or regionals,  and top 4 from the area go to sectionals (16 man bracket).....then top 8 from the two sectionals go to State with 16 man brackets. 

All came down to shortening the State tournament and the money GHSA was paying for the State site, which was pricey at the Gwinnett Arena....now back in  Macon.  

Ross

14 hours ago, whoAMi01 said:

You have a better chance of getting pigs to build their own plane to fly, and flying it. Before you get TSSAA to combine all divisions again. So, save your breathe, that's not happening, move on. We as coaches have to find a way to fix this without combining divisions.  Also, having 18 kids medal per weight class out of 200+ possible kids isn't giving everyone a medal. It is a hard road to get one, trust me, I have personal experience. 

Sorry, but that's not even close to the truth, 18 out of 200 isn't the right way to break it down and I have seen A/AA kids place that got beat by every single AAA wrestler(most that didn't even place) they wrestled mostly getting pinned! Sorry it is watered down badly now and saying you are a state placer means nothing now days sadly! Maybe the top wrestlers each weight are having a tough time, but some 5th-6th place winners have no business having a medal, except the fact they go to a small class school. As I have stated on this site many times, size of school has little to do with how good a wrestler you are. It starts in kids clubs across the state! I went and looked at school population and it hasn't nothing to do with how good a schools program is. If you look at the state duals, Soddy was the 14th highest enrollment and they are usually a top program, while 1000 students behind schools like Arlington and Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett. While Cleveland and Bradley were about in the middle of the enrollment. Gibbs was like 100 students less than Soddy and yet when they were wrestling in AAA state duals they nevertheless placed, not sure how many state duals matches they actually even won. The way to build a program I spend start a kids club and it can be one that feeds into multiple schools even, higher calling was kids club to kids wrestling at many different schools now from Cleveland to mccallie, Baylor and Notre Dame. TN had no business being 3 divisions with how many programs it has, of course the money it has raised for TSSAA has opened that box to never be put back in, but it sure would be nice to put the publics back together like it should have been and never ended.

15 hours ago, Newestguy said:

Whoever didn't see this coming when they divided the state into 3 different divisions is delusional. But remember "when you build it they will come. What we need to do is let everyone medal and that will make TN wrestling grow".

rearranging regions doesn't solve the problem. The problem is they've tried to fix something that was never broken to begin with. Now it's broken.

I have been saying the same thing since the split occurred.  No reason to place everyone back together because then "LITTLE JOHNNY" not only would not get a medal at the state tournament but he probably would be fortunate to get out of the district tournament and qualify for the region tournament.  It would be an unfair advantage if some redneck public school kid like myself had to wrestle against some spoiled rich brat from one of the private schools.  I am so thankful that my public school parents and coach NEVER EVER told me that I was not good enough to compete against those primadonna soft prep school kids.

Edited by cbg

39 minutes ago, cbg said:

I have been saying the same thing since the split occurred.  No reason to place everyone back together because then "LITTLE JOHNNY" not only would not get a medal at the state tournament but he probably would be fortunate to get out of the district tournament and qualify for the region tournament.  It would be an unfair advantage if some redneck public school kid like myself had to wrestle against some spoiled rich brat from one of the private schools.  I am so thankful that my public school parents and coach NEVER EVER told me that I was not good enough to compete against those primadonna soft prep school kids.

LOL CBG......now don't hold back....tell us how you really feel.

On 2/10/2018 at 1:37 PM, cbg said:

Good post

OK...a non scientific count (I went to Hixson....so my counting may be in question) of teams in the Georgia state tournament from this past weekend shows there were 280 teams represented.  The doesn't include teams that compete in the GISA.  

Edited by RMC

14 hours ago, mrfixalot49 said:

Seems Ga is doing "something" right 393 vs 197. 

The population for Georgia is 10.5 million

The population for metro Atlanta is 5.7 million

The population for Tennessee is 6.6 million

The only thing that Georgia is doing correctly is having a population base that is almost double that of Tennessee.

• Like 3