Martin Luther King Coach

ParisRiverRat

I want to second what Gerry Bertier said. My daughter attends MLK, but it is just the luck of the draw that got her there. The most "recruiting" Doc's coaches can do is getting kids who are academically eligible to send in an application for the lottery. After that it is all up to chance.

He is also correct in that these kids are there from 7th grade on and some of Doc's assistants are also the middle school and 9th grade coaches. They coach those teams so that they will be well prepared to play for Doc.

I don't understand why people must try to belittle his accomplishments. He is a great coach period. He may be flamboyant, but he gets the job done. He reminds me a lot of Don Meyer who used to coach for David Lipscomb University. That guy was a show all by himself. But he got the job done and had a VERY successful program.

Give credit where credit is due. Shelton coached a great game and his kids played their hearts out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to second what Gerry Bertier said. My daughter attends MLK, but it is just the luck of the draw that got her there. The most "recruiting" Doc's coaches can do is getting kids who are academically eligible to send in an application for the lottery. After that it is all up to chance.

He is also correct in that these kids are there from 7th grade on and some of Doc's assistants are also the middle school and 9th grade coaches. They coach those teams so that they will be well prepared to play for Doc.

I don't understand why people must try to belittle his accomplishments. He is a great coach period. He may be flamboyant, but he gets the job done. He reminds me a lot of Don Meyer who used to coach for David Lipscomb University. That guy was a show all by himself. But he got the job done and had a VERY successful program.

Give credit where credit is due. Shelton coached a great game and his kids played their hearts out.

825622858[/snapback]

I have never said Doc isnt a good coach... His record speaks for itself....

However, his coaching etiquette, ethics and morals all have a lot to be desired...

Pressing in 4th quarter winning by 40+ and your starters are in the game....

That is all I will say on that matter....

I have never said Doc isnt a good coach... His record speaks for itself....

However,  his coaching etiquette, ethics and morals all have a lot to be desired...

Pressing in 4th quarter winning by 40+ and your starters are in the game....

That is all I will say on that matter.... 

825623024[/snapback]

Seems to me someone has something personal against Doc. When has he done this to a team. Can you give me some examples? His etiquette is fine on the court cause while everyone is watching him, his team is out there winning. Just lay off of it sportster. Coach Shelton is a great man, but you wouldn't know that cause you don't know him.

I was readin the Tennessean today and they were talking to Doc, and the reporter asked if he had been watching Bolivar. He said we are going to do what MLK does and that is what tape. Tape of who? Bolivar? No, of themselves. Coach Shelton doesn't believe in preparing for a specific opponent rather correct the mistakes of his own team. I remember going to MLK and talking to basketball players and how the only thing they did at practice that day was watch video of themselves playing. I think that is quite the strategy Doc uses and it works.

I was readin the Tennessean today and they were talking to Doc, and the reporter asked if he had been watching Bolivar. He said we are going to do what MLK does and that is what tape. Tape of who? Bolivar? No, of themselves. Coach Shelton doesn't believe in preparing for a specific opponent rather correct the mistakes of his own team. I remember going to MLK and talking to basketball players and how the only thing they did at practice that day was watch video of themselves playing. I think that is quite the strategy Doc uses and it works.

825623097[/snapback]

I have watched Doc Shleton for many years and been around him on a couple of occasions. I have found him to be a great coach and an even better human being.

So now we have the 13AA boys jumping all over Doc. This is something that I've been waiting for is someone from podunk AA jump all over my district 8AA. Doc is something that you aren't familiar with, that is called WINNER! Not being too hard on you guys, well ok I am since I never let up :lol: . Doc has won more games and state championships than the Westviews, the Gibson Co's, and all the others in 13AA. Yeah he can remind of one George Jefferson at times, but he is successful and he wins. Its all a game with him you guys, the guy that said playing against him was hard hit it right on the head. He does these antics to get your mind off the game and onto him. He has who he plays against so psychologically beat that it isn't funny. MLK was outclassed talent wise by Haywood and will be outclassed from here on in by the teams that he sees in the state tournament. But don't be suprised if Doc pulls it out because he is that good!

Only 8 assistant coaches with doc today. Three of them were middle school coaches in metro (Bass, Hill & McKissack), four if you count the MLK middle school coach. But no recruiting.

King could have used a timeout late in the game and maybe prevented a couple of those costly turnovers. Nah, that would have ruined the first quarter antics.

Those of you that might remember Henry Harris from Stratford probably didn't know that he went to MLK for a day. He didn't really like it over there and left. Henry did not make the scores to get in MLK in the eigth grade. Most people just go on to their zone school or a private school. Somehow, Henry was informed that he could take the test again with a private testing agency, and he then qualified. There are lots of kids every year in metro that want to go to MLK and Hume Fogg but they do not qualify. They have no idea that they can retake the test. Metro does not publicise this. If they want to get better info, they should develop a jump shot.

Pressing in the fourth with their starters in and up by 40+. Ask East, Macon and Portland.