2005 Mr. Basketball Winners

CoachT

yea i think so but they already knew Mitchell(Thad Young's team) wasnt goin cause they got put out in substate. congrats to Doaks for winning im sure you were loving that since everyone on here thinks he is overrated....i know i was glad to see it cause he truely is the best single A player.

825624886[/snapback]

Oh, yeah I am loving it! .....but you know what? When he was being interviewed by our local radio station, it was mentioned that he got a nice "consolation prize" and he responded with, "it's not really a consolation prize, I'd rather had the gold ball, that's what I came here for." Which I thought was admirable and shows that he's not selfish. He was more concerned with the team winning, and not being Mr. Basketball. Believe it or not, he's very humble.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude leave it alone...doaks is your 2005 class a mr. basketball like it or not....so if u want to get something done about it take it to congress!!!!! maybe they will hear your sorrowful plea!!!!!!!!doaks is mr. basketball na na na na na!!!!!!!!!!!

825624759[/snapback]

I had never seen Doaks play until the boro , and it looked like he flat out carried that team! he looked deserving!

Dudes, here it is after watching doaks play, I hate to say it but this was a joke. The kid is over hyped and I am not tryin to be mean, fatchance has no invested interest in this at all. I usually find myself agreein with Gomab but on this one i just don't see it. All the guy did the entire tourny was make lay ups and free throws, oh yea and yell at the crowd and get techs. Its a good thing for him that mr. bb has nothing to do with character. Don't no one get on here and say I am a Doaks hater, that is stupid, I am just telling you what I saw. If doaks is the best in single A...well then. I aint saying he is bad, he just aint the best. AS much as Fatchance hates to admit it, the skogan kid is a better player, different position, granted, but if i were starting a team I would take him before doaks. they both will play at the same level D-I so lets wait and see what happens in their careers but my money aint on mr. bb. and remember, 98.5%

One thing was completely obvious, to any observer at the State Tourney that knows even a little about basketball: Nicchaeus Doaks was a flat out player and obviously not overrated. Though he was triple teamed on the block all weekend long, Doaks made impressive move after move, using his long, athletic body to avoid defenders and get to the rack. He was incredibly impressive, and carried a team without guard play into the State Finals!!! Every coach and fan I talked to the entire State was amazed at the kid's play at the State, as well as his upside. And for a "5'9 league", Doaks (in addition to being triple teamed), matched up against 6'5 from Unaka, 3 6'5 kids at Wayne Co, and 2 6'4 260 pound kids at Middleton during his State run... These knocks against Doaks are so tenuous and unfounded is completely ridiculous and ignorant...

Honestly, after State Tourney, there is no one on the boards that can sit here and say Doaks is overrated or not impressive, and still still have a shred of credibility...

Before reading the rest of this post I want to say PLEASE do not bash me too hard Galilee. 

Team success is a part of voting who wins the Mr. Basketball Awards and for months now we have said that the AA award would be the most highly contested.  The winner announced was Thad Young, a great basketball player who is gonna play pretty much where he wants to after his final year in high school next year, but I must say that I do not agree with the choice.  The other two finalists, Willie Kemp & Tyler Smith, have combined for the past 3 AA STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS.  As a sophomore, Tyler Smith led Giles Co. to a state championship by beating the likes of Bolivar and Ridgeway.  The past two years Willie Kemp has led the Bolivar Central Tigers to state championships.  People may say that Willie has played with great players along the way (Lake last year and Chism this year) but Brandon Powell is a teammate of Young and he is gonna play major college basketball someday.  Every major obstacle that has been put in front of Kemp and the Bolivar Tigers the past two years has been hurdled.  The same can not be said for Mitchell.  The likes of Raleigh Egypt and Haywood have gotten the better of Young & Co., therefore they have not made a serious run towards a state championship.  Those same two RE and Haywood teams have gone 0-8 (I think) against Kemp & Co. for the past two years.  Now the people who make this decision are going to say that Young deserves this award more than a guy who has performed much better in the "big games".  THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! 

Personally, I thought that Giles Co.'s Tyler Smith would get the award.  The kid has been a finalist now for the past three years and came up with nothing to show for it.  I figured that he being the premiere AA player in the midstate (and the closest one towards east-TN) would propel him towards winning the award.  Tyler, as I stated before, has won a state championship.  He also went 2-2 his final two years against <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> (who features fellow midstate star B. Wright).  THE NUMBERS DO NOT LIE!!!  Tyler Smith, who has not had near the help of those other two guys, has won the big games.  It isn't like state championships grow on trees, yet they seem to have no bearing when it comes to voting for this major award.

825624783[/snapback]

The votes are due in before the state tournament. And I disagree that a single player should be held responsible for his team's ultimate finish.

You can be a better player and not be on as good a team...that happened with Thad and JP both this year.

Tyler Smith got ripped off and anybody sitting close to me last night knows that because I yelled it out. The young man carried a decent basketball team to 2 region titles and 2 substate games. He would have been at state this year if anybody else on the team could score but channing cofey had the worst game of his season. Tyler dominated that game with 34 pts and he also had several assists and rebounds. Tyler dominated every team he played when it mattered. Sure he didn't score 40 every night against Lewis co. and Fairview but that is because he wasn't called on to score at all. When it mattered Tyler had 30 or more every time and carried his team on his back. He was they key to his teams state title run in 02 (but anybody who knows basketball would have to admit that Eric Howard, Triston Fletcher and Shay Shannon were also very instrumental in winning that gold ball). I agreed with 1a and 3a though.

Tyler will show everybody what he is all about at Tennessee. I hope it will be at Tennessee that is

Peabody mom, if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen...is that anyway for a lady to talk?  If someone doesn't agree wiht you they are an idiot?  Fine, you just go write down what i said about the future and we will see who the idiot is.

GOMAB, you have just sunk lower in my view, (not as a person dude, I simply mean your ability to assess bb talent) I know, I know you don't care what my view is, no prob.  However, I was there, and I talked to folks as well, a whole bunch of folks, I talked to college coaches, and other high school coaches who know more about the game than you do, or than I do, guys who don't coach aau but coach real teams and they concluded just the opposite about doaks than your conclusions.  I aint sayin that MAKES you wrong, but I am saying there are plenty of people, who know what they are talkin about, that simply don't agree with your assessment.  Peabody got a nice draw and won a couple but doaks is not all that you think...at least in the eyes of MANY.  That aint saying he aint good, this aint an all or nothin discussion, but many believe, and I am one of them, that he won mr bb due to all the "stuff" that goes on behind the scenes.  Great put your trophey on the shelf, you had a good year but time will tell...

98.5%

825625360[/snapback]

Doaks won the award. I agree with gomab...he coached the young man and I covered him this season. He had a great season and led his team to the state finals. No matter how hard you try to discredit that fact, those that followed the player and the team know better.

man these Mr. Basketball awards shocked the heck out of me. in A Doaks was definitely the best player and i was glad he got it but it seemed like it was a lock for Skogen to get it due to the success of his team. in AA Thad Young was the last i expected to get it. he is the best player of the 3 but Smith had better stats and Willie Kemp just brought back our 2nd straight gold ball, not to mention the state tourney MVP....Young is the best but i thought for sure he was a year away from it. AAA wasnt really a shocker, Prince deserves it but so did Delk, only one could take it home though.

825624785[/snapback]

I would agree with you about Caleb Skogen.

He should have won the award -- but that's just the way it goes sometimes.