Favorite Baseball Broadcaster

tdluna

The biggest "winners" were all the people that were able to listen to the great Jack Buck.  He may have the 2 greatest homerun calls of all time.  Kirk Gibson's "I don't believe what I just saw."  And Ozzie Smith's " Smith corks one down the line, it may go GO CRAZY FOLKS, GO CRAZY, the Cardinals have just won the game 3 to 2 on a homerun by the Wizard. GO CRAZY! 

That was 20 years ago and I can still remember where I was when that happened.

He has a great legacy, that will only grow as Joe fills part of the void we feel since we lost Jack.

825665662[/snapback]

Totally agree and I remember the Cardinals game that nite too and where I was also. Ozzie didn't hit many, but when he did they sure counted and Jack let you know it.....

Edited by Old Timer

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up in Northwestern Indiana in the 50's and 60's, about all we had was WGN radio and a few games on WGN-TV. Jack Brickhouse, Vince Lloyd, Jack Quinlan, and Lou Boudreau are names that bring back fond memories. Vince Lloyd covered the Cubs on radio for 23 years starting in 1949. I remember his call of a Sandy Koufax perfect game. Jack Quinlan did Cubs play-by-play from 1955 through 1964 and was killed in an auto accident before the 1965 season. Lou Boudreau did color commentary from 1958-1987 (except for 1960 when he manged the Cubs). But Jack Brickhouse is the name and voice I will always remember.

A tribute to Jack Brickhouse can be found at

http://wgntv.trb.com/sports/wgntv-brickhouse-jackbio.story

Mike Shannon is great.

And I was just channel surfing one night and heard John Miller - didn't even notice he was doing the Giants...    so much baseball to listen to on XM  (Braves 3, Marlins 0 in the seventh) 

I grew up with a grandpa who loved his Braves (Milo Hamilton) and a dad who loved his Cardinals (Dizzy Dean, Harry Carey)

825665076[/snapback]

Dizzy Dean used to drive the teachers in St. Louis crazy because his use of the English language was so southern. "He slud into third..." things like that. Dizzy thought about quitting for awhile because he thought he was not setting a good example for young students, but the fans came to his defense and he stayed. A good ole boy from Arkansas, is still a favorite to discuss in St. Louis.

Jack Buck & Mike Shannon....Only got better the more Bud's Mike drank during the broadcast.

:P

825665446[/snapback]

LOL, I love it today when the Cards are either up or down by 7 or more runs because Mike Shannon is at his absolut best then. He will pass out on radio one day before he's done in one of those games.

Jack Buck is the best. I would have loved to her him and Harry Carry in the booth together back in the day.

Dizzy Dean used to drive the teachers in St. Louis crazy because his use of the English language was so southern.  "He slud into third..."  things like that.  Dizzy thought about quitting for awhile because he thought he was not setting a good example for young students, but the fans came to his defense and he stayed.  A good ole boy from Arkansas, is still a favorite to discuss in St. Louis.

825665749[/snapback]

I've got a picture of him hanging on my bedroom wall right now.

The absolute *worst* guy has got to be Joe Morgan--he launches off on tangents and, usually, they're *dumb* tangents. Just goes to show that being able to play doesn't equate to being able to broadcast.

I'm not thrilled with Ron Gant on the Braves games recently, either, although he's not as bad as Morgan.

The absolute *worst* guy has got to be Joe Morgan--he launches off on tangents and, usually, they're *dumb* tangents. Just goes to show that being able to play doesn't equate to being able to broadcast.

I'm not thrilled with Ron Gant on the Braves games recently, either, although he's not as bad as Morgan.

825667623[/snapback]

mccarver is worse than him! talk about tangents.............mister pseudodrama himself

Best Still Alive : Vin Scully (Dodgers), Ernie Harwell (Tigers), Matt Vaskersian (SP) (Brewers TV) (best of the youngsters) & Bob Uecker (Brewers)

No Longer With Us : Red Barber (Brooklyn Dodgers), Jack Buck (Cardinals), Dizzy Dean (Cardinals) (was Darrell Waltrip before DW was born), Harry Carey (Cardinals) (before he became the Harry he was with the Cubs), and Jack Brickhouse (Cubs). I have heard old recordings of these guys and they were good!!!

Of the Braves announcers, Milo Hamilton and Ernie Johnson were the best ones with Don Sutton a notch below as a color guy. None of them in the class of those listed above. Skip Carey is SOOOOO OVERRATED. Chip could be the best of the Careys (he's more like the Cardinals' Harry), but not right now.