Oldest and Longest Running Rivalries

THSVikings2004

Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett High School has been playing Football since 1921.

The top 3 Rivalries, by number of games played are as follows:

82 Games vs Johnson City Science Hill begining in 1921 -Overall Record DB 54 Wins Science Hill 23 Wins and 5 ties

74 Games vs Bristol Tennessee High begining in 1921 - Overall Record DB 55 Wins Tennessee High 18 Wins and 1 tie

72 Games vs Elizabethton High begining in 1926 = Overall Record DB 51 Wins Elizabethton 17 Wins and 4 Ties

Of course since going to 5A, the Real Rivalry has been against the Oak Ridge Wildcats. This has become one of the greatest Rivalry's in the State and one that both teams are very aware of. Oak Ridge holds the Overall Record in the series 17 Wins vs 15 Wins for Dobyns-Bennett, that's what my records show, other have it as only a 1 game seperation. The first game in the series was 1960 and the played every year through the 60's. Only to halt the series until Re-Classification.

It is expected since 2000 that the Indians and Wildcats will play 2 times each season for now and for ever.

Roll Tribe Roll

Giddy Up!!

It's to bad it will not get to continue. They will play for the next two years and that's it. Lenoir City decided not to play Loudon anymore in any sport after this year. They have to play in football because the schedule was already made when this was decided. This is not only a huge rivalry being cut, but a financially ignorant mistake on LC's part.

825688903[/snapback]

yes it is and these kids gather around 40-60 thousand pounds of food for good samartian center during the battle of the bridge

It's to bad it will not get to continue. They will play for the next two years and that's it. Lenoir City decided not to play Loudon anymore in any sport after this year. They have to play in football because the schedule was already made when this was decided. This is not only a huge rivalry being cut, but a financially ignorant mistake on LC's part.

825688903[/snapback]

First of all, the LC v. Loudon rivalry has to be one of the oldest, and best rivalries in the state, but there are 2 big reasons why i think its looking like this rivalry won't continue-1st of all, the size difference. LC is moving up this year, and with all the new development in town, it doesn't look like the size will be going down anytime soon, and since Loudon is going in the opposite direction, in future years it might not look too impressive on a schedule. the 2nd reason, and probobly the one that is the real reason, is that the rivalry has gotten out of hand. with the incidents last year of vandalism to the LC field and field-house, its not worth risking it more than we have to. stuff like that is the real reason why this rivalr can not continue, and its a real shame

825688903[/snapback]

Talking about size hte only problem with that is that L.C might be ashamed to get beat by a smaller school. I mean there is nothing wrong with a 2a team playing a 4a team Alcoa and Maryville do it and I dont see any tears fallen. The Battle of the Bridge is a tradition that should not be taken away. The community and kids will all be affected. One little incident and L.C freaks out it happens which shows how intense this rivalry is and for anyone to take this from the kids that strive soo hard to beat each other is just insane. There is no other feeling then playing the team that you dislike the most and winnnig the whole week of practice you study the other team and do what oyu can to perpare for the game you could remember for the rest of your life. Then the students come together to support their school and then you also donate alot of food just to beat your rival. The person or people in charge of getting rid of this rivalry honestly can not care to much about their students or the community that they are supported by.

Since the original topic was length of rivalry and nothing else, I would offer our longest standing rival at Lewis County and that is Loretto. The two teams will meet for the 59th straight year this season. They had played before then but World War II caused a break in the rivalry and a break in football period.

I wonder if some of those that are talking of 70-80 year rivalries are counting any downtime for World War II?

I have always found this to be a fascinating rivalry because the two teams are not geograpically that close. Both schools have literally a dozen similar sized schools nearer but they continue to trek 50+ miles each year to play each other.. well done!

Since the original topic was length of rivalry and nothing else, I would offer our longest standing rival at Lewis County and that is Loretto. The two teams will meet for the 59th straight year this season. They had played before then but World War II caused a break in the rivalry and a break in football period.

I wonder if some of those that are talking of 70-80 year rivalries are counting any downtime for World War II?

I have always found this to be a fascinating rivalry because the two teams are not geograpically that close. Both schools have literally a dozen similar sized schools nearer but they continue to trek 50+ miles each year to play each other.. well done!

825718679[/snapback]

One of the most heated rivalries that used to be around was Knox Central vs. Knoxville. People still talk about that one.

Of course since going to 5A, the Real Rivalry has been against the Oak Ridge Wildcats. This has become one of the greatest Rivalry's in the State and one that both teams are very aware of. Oak Ridge holds the Overall Record in the series 17 Wins vs 15 Wins for Dobyns-Bennett, that's what my records show, other have it as only a 1 game seperation. The first game in the series was 1960 and the played every year through the 60's. Only to halt the series until Re-Classification.

It is expected since 2000 that the Indians and Wildcats will play 2 times each season for now and for ever.

825710406[/snapback]

I'm on your side.... its the best rivalry, right up there with UT and Florida! Since the "you stole our colors" "you stole our plays" and all of that mess... it so fun, and always a great game! Because of how similar the teams, schools, students, and everything are!Some guy on here last year said "the OR DB game is like the dentist, it aint right if you dont do it twice a year!" Well, im excited nevertheless, and I can't wait to be up at DB for the last times this year!

Go Cats!

Good Luck to all of ya, but to the seniors- Make it a great one! I love ya!