MARYVILLE @ OAK RIDGE

From what i observed it looked like Oak Ridge did a good job running the ball against Maryville when they were in the I-formation. 10 play series does not fit Oak Ridges running style. If it was a game type situation then Oak Ridge would have done really well. They were getting nearly seven yards a carry with that huge line they have, but with the limitation of plays oak ridge was not able to do what they do best. Oak Ridge needs to work on the pass game a little more if they are going to be succesful late in the playoffs. Maryvilles offense looked really good, especially in the air. Maples is a great reciever and really impressed me. Maryville's secondary were really good form tacklers. Both teams will be ready once the season comes around.

825710567[/snapback]

Welcome to the board. How does a 10 play series not fit Oak Ridges running style? On the first series I would agree OR ran well, after that Maryville was able to limit that attack. And if the passing game is in question I would think a team would them be one dimensional. Good luck to OR this year and thanks for the practice.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is o.r. line just big, or are they big and fast? I've heard alot of good about them

825710729[/snapback]

the line this year not only has the size they also have good speed. during the summer testing the slowest 40 time for the starting o line was a 5.3 and that was by our 300 pounder. watch out for this group of guys they're gonnna open some big holes.

Welcome to the board.  How does a 10 play series not fit Oak Ridges running style?  On the first series I would agree OR ran well, after that Maryville was able to limit that attack.  And if the passing game is in question I would think a team would them be one dimensional.  Good luck to OR this year and thanks for the practice.

825710801[/snapback]

It doesnt fit Oak Ridges running style because when you have only 10 plays to score and your style is smash mouth football its very hard to drive hundred yards. Oak Ridge could line up in the I-formation and drive the ball down the field all day but since its ten plays they will more than likely not reach the endzone on half of them. During the scrimmage when oak ridge was in the I they were getting eight yards a carry, but then they had to start to throw the ball because their ten plays were about over. Thats why 10 play scrimmages is not the best for Oak Ridge.

That's a funny excuse for the 10 play situation. I agree with Coach T, how can 10 plays work against you? It worked pretty good for Maryville. I guess if we are in a 2 minute drill we have no chance of scoring? You think it has something to do with situation coaching? Both teams are playing under the same rules. You guys kill me. During the passing league all I heard were excuses about passing not being our thing and wait til we lined up with 11 and could run the ball. Now I see the excuses that we only had 10 plays so it didn't fit OR's offense either. Do we need to make a whole new set of rules so OR can win? I agree that we need to wait and see what the Cats can do after they have been working the new offense for a few more weeks but come on guys the excuse stuff is getting old. It's getting to be the excuse of the week club on here. I actually heard that Coach Stevens told his staff after the Maryville skrimmage that we needed to get more young kids playing time because our guys were gassed too early. Who's fault is that? I heard he was actually commenting on the low numbers of players just like the thread from here last week discussed. By the way, how many kids does Maryville have on its team? Aren't they a much smaller school that OR? Go Cats.

It doesnt fit Oak Ridges running style because when you have only 10 plays to score and your style is smash mouth football its very hard to drive hundred yards. Oak Ridge could line up in the I-formation and drive the ball down the field all day but since its ten plays they will more than likely not reach the endzone on half of them. During the scrimmage when oak ridge was in the I they were getting eight yards a carry, but then they had to start to throw the ball because their ten plays were about over. Thats why 10 play scrimmages is not the best for Oak Ridge.

825711209[/snapback]

10 plays not enough to score? Heck that is enough for R'dale to score a couple of times. ;)

Seriously it IS enough if you have a balanced attack that combines pass and run plays. Just a matter of execution and that is what the scrimmages are about. It shows the various staffs what they need to work on for both their defense and offense to be sucessful.

I am sure Oak Ridge will be ready when it actually counts. Anybody who does not believe that may be in for a rude surprise.

One thing that was different about the format that may have been tough for a running team to score was that after a team made it inside the 20 yard line both teams only had one play to score then the officals would turn them around and head back the other way. Scrimmage games are for finding the positives and looking for areas that need work. The game was a success for both teams in that reguard.

Edited by Wildmanfan

Obviously it wasn't a problem for Maryville to score on that one play you say both teams had inside the 20 before the refs turned the ball around. They were able to do it 4 times before they felt sorry for us and put in the youngsters. This is getting to the point of being laughable[. Do you guys read your own posts? When Stevens came to OR all the posts were, "he's gonna change the offense and air it out, Lussier was an idiot and kept the ball on the ground and was one deminsional." Now with Stevens at the helm OR is a "smash mouth team that needs more than 10 plays to score." Come on guys, I agree it's still early but doggone at least be realistic and consistent with your posts. quote=Wildmanfan,Aug 7 2005 - 03:21 PM]

One thing that was different about the format that may have been tough for a running team to score was that after a team made it inside the 20 yard line both teams only had one play to score then the officals would turn them around and head back the other way. Scrimmage games are for finding the positives and looking for areas that need work. The game was a success for both teams in that reguard.

825711323[/snapback]

I think that a good coach uses what talent he has to their abilities and not to fit a system. I think what people should say is that Oak Ridge still has the ability to play smashmouth football should they elect to. I think they should because they proved they could against Maryville. I also think that this scrimmage was good for Oak Ridge to see what it can and cannot do well and work on it. I don't blame the format as a reason OR lost. I don't blame the staff for looking to become a better team in the future. So what..we lost on the scoreboard but think of what good will come out of it after the staff looks at the tape.

Cats,

There is a difference in playing smash mouth football and getting your mouth smashed...which is what we proved we could do friday...nothing else.

I think that a good coach uses what talent he has to their abilities and not to fit a system. I think what people should say is that Oak Ridge still has the ability to play smashmouth football should they elect to. I think they should because they proved they could against Maryville. I also think that this scrimmage was good for Oak Ridge to see what it can and cannot do well and work on it.  I don't blame the format as a reason OR lost. I don't blame the staff for looking to become a better team in the future. So what..we lost on the scoreboard but think of what good will come out of it after the staff looks at the tape.

825711341[/snapback]

Well, I guess I didn't see it that way. If you don't count the Int the score was 3-2. I think #20 would have and should have been able to return that fumble. If Gulmire doesn't fumble than who knows? I think most of us would think being smashed would have been by 4 TD's or more.. Just my thoughts. Why are you so negative?