who do you think is the best wide reciever?

joeboxxer047

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the level of competition is horrible, then on the average, a 1A player's teammates' ability will be at the same level and the standout will have to do more things on his own. Here are the state's top players the last few years:

2006: 1-Brandon Warren 6'2" 230 ATH Alcoa Florida State

2005 1-Patrick Turner 6'5" 215 WR Goodpasture Southern California

2004: 1-Demonte Bolden 6'5" 294 DT Tyner Tennessee

2003: 1-Daniel Brooks 6'3" 230 LB Jackson Central-Merry Tennessee

2002: 1-Gerald Riggs 6'0 215 RB Red Bank Tennessee

2001: 1-Ingle Martin 6'3" 205 QB MBA Florida

No 1A, but just as many 2A as the others combined, and Alcoa and Goodpasture are nearly 1A level. You will find good players in every class, I read today about a linebacker from Bruceton about to do some good things in the SEC this year. As for Temple, how could you expect them to play 2A with 125 students in their school?

It is true that good players can come from small schools, but the level of competition can't even be compared.  Even a jump from 1A to 2A is huge.  You go from playing the Whitwells and the Silverdales to playing Tyner!  I think our friends at Boyd will be able to attest to that after this year!!

825714112[/snapback]

I dont know how many times Ive heard that before. Yes more than likely coming from a bigger school there are prob more stand out athletes. But how can you rule out the smaller school players? A good player is a good player no matter what class he is in. Will his stats prob be better in a smaller classification...yes more than likely. Last time I checked a stand out player isnt determined by what kind or size of team they play on. HAVE YOU SEEN THE KID PLAY IN THE FIRST PLACE ???? That is all that matters. Because if you have , you would be able to tell hes def. an athlete , and if he did play in a bigger class he would still be an very good player and a threat. And if you havent your just running your mouth.

Maybe you should call and give your wise advice to the college coaches that call and ask about him. I mean why would they wanna recruit somebody that plays on a small 1A team? Maybe you could put some sense into them. thumb

Edited by bigbody1220

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but neither of the Skogens will ever have a chance at being hailed as great receivers simply because of the competition they are up against.  They may be legit, I don't know but I have a strong feeling that if you put any decent receiver in there position you would see the same production.  The only time i've seen either of them was in the TN-GA all-star game and the oldest one didnt even have a catch.

825714060[/snapback]

A few thoughts to consider: Seth is as big as Antonio Robinson and from the same size school and remember SP was 3-6 last year and yet AR got all kinds of acolades, and rightly so, he deserves them. Now, the teams will play the same level of competition, same region, so if, and that is an if, Seth does as well or better than AR, then why would he NOT get the same kind of attention? Other posts have made the point about A-AAAA etc. team wise there is no contest, but individuals can still be great regardless of classification. Herschal Walker played on a AA team, Brodie Croyle at a small Christian School etc.

As for Caleb in the all state game, they threw to him once, in double coverage, the entire game. Ask any coach or player who was there for the week...he lit up the secondary all weak long. Call and ask Coach Fain at Boyd, who tried to convince Caleb that he could play SEC receiver and why Kentucky then asked Caleb to join them August 4th when they began practice, promising him a scholarship after he red-shirted to gain weight. Seems there are some people who know a bit more that those who post on here, coming to different conclusions.

The little guy from TYNER is pretty good they dont throw much but when they do........AlsoI know that people might not know him but Michael Ford from Howard is sleeper.......

825717720[/snapback]

...That would be Kevion Jones, Murphy Fair Pre-Season/All-State WR and the other WR is Martez Mitchell...the "RAMS" throw when we need to...couldn't show everything we had :lol:

A few thoughts to consider:  Seth is as big as Antonio Robinson and from the same size school and remember SP was 3-6 last year and yet AR got all kinds of acolades, and rightly so, he deserves them.  Now, the teams will play the same level of competition, same region, so if, and that is an if, Seth does as well or better than AR, then why would he NOT get the same kind of attention?  Other posts have made the point about A-AAAA etc. team wise there is no contest, but individuals can still be great regardless of classification.  Herschal Walker played on a AA team, Brodie Croyle at a small Christian School etc. 

As for Caleb in the all state game, they threw to him once, in double coverage, the entire game.  Ask any coach or player who was there for the week...he lit up the secondary all weak long.  Call and ask Coach Fain at Boyd, who tried to convince Caleb that he could play SEC receiver and why Kentucky then asked Caleb to join them August 4th when they began practice, promising him a scholarship after he red-shirted to gain weight.  Seems there are some people who know a bit more that those who post on here, coming to different conclusions.

825714513[/snapback]

If he is so good then why is he going to Mercer?? You would think that if he was all world like you are making him out to be he would have big football schools lined up to get him like they did with Patrick Turner and the others named from small schools.

The little guy from TYNER is pretty good they dont throw much but when they do........AlsoI know that people might not know him but Michael Ford from Howard is sleeper.......

825717720[/snapback]

If a scout saw Micheal Ford he would be on a lot of list. A scout would notice he has talent, but he has not been coached.

If a scout saw Micheal Ford he would be on a lot of list. A scout would notice he has talent, but he has not been coached.

825718215[/snapback]

This is the same Michael Ford that plays basketball right.........He is good at basketball and if he's good at footbal don't see why he wouldn't go to college and play one or other.........

not to take anything away from Caleb but I believe he dropped a pass in the endzone.

You are correct, they didn't throw to him.

Is Seth that fast? I don't question his ability to play at any level. He is very athletic but may be a little oversized for a wide reciever at the top level.

What about tight end?

He will have the stats this year. I think their offense will be impressive.

Can't wait to see them play. Are they playing home games? If so, where?

If he is so good then why is he going to Mercer??  You would think that if he was all world like you are making him out to be he would have big football schools lined up to get him like they did with Patrick Turner and the others named from small schools.

825718192[/snapback]

I am not a Temple coach or fan, but I can tell you that Skogen was the real deal. Ask any of the kids we coached on the All Star team.

He is going to Mercer b/c he wanted to play Basketball I believe.

Patrick Turner was one of the top recruits in the COUNTRY...any reciever with offers from UT, USC, Miami, and multiple others is simply the best around. No one in Tennessee had the kind of offers he did, so I hardly think comparing anyone with him is valid. Skogen was good, good enough to play college level Football (personally I would say DII, maybe Iaa if he gained some weight and got stronger). He chose Basketball. Quit being jealous.