Alcoa Vs. Maryville

TnFootballfan

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Alcoa will appeal...and I think they will probably win...

825723097[/snapback]

Why do you think that? Because it is Brandon Warren? I thought the rule was pretty explicit, you get tossed out of a game you sit the next one. If the TSSAA overturns this then the precedence is set: " you sit: unless you are an all stater headed to FSU and this is your biggest game of the year". I know this will make some Alcoa folks mad, (especially V Vol, everything makes him mad) but according to the rules he should not play. It doesn't matter how good a kid he is, how bad the officiating was, if he was slapping away the kids hands from his throat or taking a swing at him. None of that matters. If you get tossed you are suppose to sit the next one. If you want this kid to learn a lesson you might want to have him serve his penalty. Might be more useful in the long run, rather than trying every way under the sun for justifying what he did. Some guy writing into the paper this morning even presumes to know exactly what the Maryville coaching staff and the whole community feel. For our sake I hope he plays because should we win that is all we will hear although in 2000 when we had to use our third string qb alcoa accused us of making excuses. But in fairness, to everyone else who has had to sit out, to everyone else who has gotten caught protecting themselves and had to sit out, BW should have to also.

Edited by mhs

I would very much like to see BW but a rule is a rule. I have heard many people say that he was defending himself and that it was a set up. Don't know if that is true. If it is true I still don't know that the TSSAA will overturn it. Officials make lots of bad calls--ones that cause teams to lose--and unfortunately that is part of the game. Good luck to both teams.

Edited by krakatoa

I agree with the last two posters. BW was ejected from the game, he sits-End of story and sorry about that. Rules are only not followed at the pro level!

Even if he was set up or was defending himself, a game official saw it as a punch and made the judgment call. BW being the player he is should have known better and been smarter. I am not saying BW is stupid, but his reaction cost him and more his team. How much remains to be seen. Big time players play like it and do not make those mistakes.

Giving any kid a pass because of who he is or what game it is for matters not and a bad president will be set should the TSSAA overlook the incident. Also another down side of overturning this call is sending the wrong message to all kids and the Kentucky HS football officials everywhere. Many out of state games are played between TN vs. KY programs. Reversing this suspension would have huge negative effects.

Personally I do not blame BW for being angry and know there are allot of thugs at the HS level who got a punch coming IMO, but that does not make it right. Enough of this, back to the game.

This will be a war as always.  It will come down to who makes the fewest mistakes.  Alcoa is not a diciplined team. alcoa06 posted it saying that TD's were called back.  Alcoa had alot of penaltys in the jamboree.  You can't make mistakes against a good football team like Maryville. They will take advantage of those mistakes.  It comes down to coaching, and GQ has more class in his little finger than coach reid has in his whole body.  Maryville  27

Alcoa      21

825722562[/snapback]

Brandon Warren deserves to play... from what I understand he was defending himself and TSSAA should overturn the call and let him play. And w/o BW Alcoa isn't Alcoa... I see Brandon being the diff. in the game fri.... if he plays they win... and if not... they come up a touchdown short.... its one of the biggest games in the state if not the biggest... it won't be right w/o him... Im from rockwood and will be there by 6 ready to watch a good one... good lock Alcoa.

I just took a nationwide poll and it's offical. The WHOLE WORLD knows Shiverdecker would have had 200 yards and a handful of touchdowns if not for those mean old referees!

Sorry could nor resist.

Just some random thoughts addressing some previous posts.

Does Alcoa have more talent or at least athleticism than Maryville this year. Yep

Did they last year? More than likely and anyone who was there knows it was not near as close as the score indicated.

However

This could be Alcoa's year. They do have a great team, which should be the case when you have the senior class they have and they have started for four years. Couple this with the fact that Mayrivlle is thinner than they have been in at least five or six years and it becomes quite possible. I think if BW does not play it hurts on both sides but possibly more on defense because Sykes becomes less effective if they can run away from him. And that is taking nothing away from Warren's replacement, but I am sure he is no Warren. Brandon is NOT an idiot. He is human like all of us, and the reaction he had under the circumstances is quite understandable.

Let's just have this week be an exciting one for the kids and hope they all stay out of trouble so they can go to the game. And lets remember we are all one big community and work and worship together and see each other almost daily. Regardless of how many times certain people want to toss the word HATE around lets all try to keep our perspective so that these two great schools and teams can get the recognition they deserve.

825722577[/snapback]

shiverdecker di have over 200 yards and a couple of touchdowns called back. you will see friday night. any long run and flags flew in ky. they even called a clip on our defense. maryville would be saying the same thing if it were them in ky. we come away with win but officiating was horribley one sided

Brandon Warren deserves to play... from what I understand he was defending himself and TSSAA should overturn the call and let him play. And w/o BW Alcoa isn't Alcoa... I see Brandon being the diff. in the game fri.... if he plays they win... and if not... they come up a touchdown short.... its one of the biggest games in the state if not the biggest... it won't be right w/o him... Im from rockwood and will be there by 6 ready to watch a good one... good lock Alcoa.

825723414[/snapback]

I agree he should play but not sure if the TSSAA will overturn the call. All they have to go by is the video. And from what I hear the video shows parts of the play in question. Brandon falls on top of the KY player after a block and the KY player is grabbing him and Brandon is trying to get away. Don't know if the TSSAA will think it looks like he is hitting or trying to get away?

if you rebel posters that say brandon should sit out game and that we were all whining about officiating..let me tell you this..if maryville had played that game in ky..and saw what happened...george quarles and your athletic director would have left sunday night so the could be at the tssaa office when it opened..you know they would fight for their player...especially if he was #1 player in state..say different...you are a liar