MBA vs. Trinity(KY)

TheBigRedDog

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Observations from the game:

What a difference two years make. MBA's campus was rocking two years ago when Trinity came to town; the atmosphere was electric. This time around, it wasn't as electric. Perhaps it was the MBA faithful still stinging from the Byrnes loss, or perhaps it was the absence of Brian Brohm. Nevertheless, the stadium really came alive on that last drive by Trinity. That was a gut-wrencher for everyone in the stands. About the only thing that was the same was the score (17-13).

These two teams were evenly-matched, with each having success running and passing. Trinity was aided by two longs runs from their great running back (Donald Barnett) but were stuffed for the most part outside of those runs, and Trinity QB Nick Petrino had some clutch passes, but also was the victim of some dropped balls by wide-open WRs. He showed a lot of poise and was a gritty rusher when flushed out of the pocket. Trinity DB Blayne Donnell had a great game, with some big hits and a pick.

MBA's Andy Snyder had a great game running and catching the ball. He didn't have the long runs that Barnett had but had a lot of soild 5-10 yard gains. David Howe looked much more poised this week in the pocket. MBA's pass coverage was better this week, save for some big chunks given up on that last drive. Granted, the Trinity QB and WRs were on a different level from Byrnes.

A good win by MBA. Hats off to the Trinity team for a hard-fought game and to a nice contingent of fans who came down from Louisville.

Edited by rollredroll

Observations from the game:

What a difference two years make.  MBA's campus was rocking two years ago when Trinity came to town; the atmosphere was electric.  This time around, it wasn't as electric.  Perhaps it was the MBA faithful still stinging from the Byrnes loss, or perhaps it was the absence of Brian Brohm.  Nevertheless, the stadium really came alive on that last drive by Trinity.  That was a gut-wrencher for everyone in the stands.  About the only thing that was the same was the score (17-13).

These two teams were evenly-matched, with each having success running and passing.  Trinity was aided by two longs runs from their great running back (Donald Barnett) but were stuffed for the most part outside of those runs, and Trinity QB Nick Petrino had some clutch passes, but also was the victim of some dropped balls by wide-open WRs.  He showed a lot of poise and was a gritty rusher when flushed out of the pocket. Trinity DB Blayne Donnell had a great game, with some big hits and a pick.

MBA's Andy Snyder had a great game running and catching the ball.  He didn't have the long runs that Barnett had but had a lot of soild 5-10 yard gains.  David Howe looked much more poised this week in the pocket.  MBA's pass coverage was better this week, save for some big chunks given up on that last drive.  Granted, the Trinity QB and WRs were on a different level from Byrnes.

A good win by MBA.  Hats off to the Trinity team for a hard-fought game and to a nice contingent of fans who came down from Louisville.

825730197[/snapback]

I just have to say that I have serious respect for MBA. As a McCallie fan, I was hoping they would lose today and their spirit would be broken and their season over so that our 10/21 game in Nashville would be a little less worrisome. I clearly underestimated the Big Red and for this I apologize. They showed a lot of resilience, something Coach Potter stresses to his players. I hope McCallie is never in the situation that MBA was in this week (dealing with a real heartbreaker of a loss), but if they are I would hope that they would handle it the way MBA did today.

Great win for MBA. It's tough to come back and win against a quality team after such a devastating loss. I guess that coach of yours isn't too bad after all. B)

Hey...we all have to put up with embarrassing posters who oststensibly support our team. (See posts 2, 3 & 8 :( )

Edited by itzme

MBA showed heart tonight by stopping the late drive of Trinity, good job. After giving up 62 points, the defense looked a little better. Trinity was not the powerhouse like Byrnes, odviously they arent the same team as they were two years ago, but they didnt look that good. Im not too impressed with the offense. Dont get me wrong, Andy Snyder is a great back and MBA's best offensive player, but who else is there?

Couple of questions for the Big Red nation:

-In the game against Byrnes, Cordell came in for a while and looked better the Howell, could he see some starts in the future, or is it all Howell?

-Is Ben Bartholemew starting at linebacker?

The test for MBA will be when the Owls roll into town next Friday. We'll see if MBA can keep the win streak alive, should be another exciting one like tonight.

Good luck next week and on the season Big Red.

Edited by BB1033

Gotta agree with you, RRR.  The MBA guys have got to want it more.  They haven't shown me that thus far this year and didn't show it to me all that much last year either.  I hope our boys can come out fired up and erase the memories of last week.  I'd really like to see us establish more of a ground game and control the ball more also.  I think Snyder is ready to break out with a big game.

Rockmom,

Good to see you back at CoachT!  Have a good trip and good luck.

Roll Red!

825729734[/snapback]

The Big Red must have read my post. Great job guys! I love to see the ground game working. Snyder had a huge night. Hopefully we can keep it up. I expect MUS to be ready to play. Hopefully, the Big Red can build on these two games and get the victory over the Owls. I noticed that Carney is playing defensive end...is that new and is he the only guy other than Prevost going both ways?

BB1033,

Prevost and Brown start at linebacker. Bartholomew is one of the first off the bench to back them up, though...should definitely start next year.

Doesn't sound like there's a QB battle from what I've heard. I'm wondering if they will try to get Cordell on the field at another postion, though, because he seems to be a great athlete.

Congratulations, MBA!

I didn't get to make it to the game, but I listened to it over the internet. I want to thank the MBA commentators who 1) knew the Trinity players' names, & 2) made several comments of respect for the Trinity program. It was a heartbreaker for us, but it sounded like a great game, and since it was Trinity's first actual game of the season, I'm sure alot of lessons have been learned, and points of improvement will be addressed.

Thank you for your hospitality!

We'll see you guys in Louisville next year, and you'll LOVE our new stadium!