heritage @ maryville

sherwood17

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, thats me too.  I think it is getting old, Alcoa this Alcoa that in the local paper, in in the knotz news sentinal as well, real darlings of the press.  Darlings that got smacked right in the mouth by Maryville.  GQ should have tried to shut them out and hung 20 more points on them! 

Heritage had a good share of coverage in the maryville rag yesterday.  I really think the maryville times is also jelious of the schools accomplishments.

Go reb's

825744267[/snapback]

Have to disagree guys. From a lifer in these parts, Maryville has always been the primary focus of the The Daily Times sports department. Sure, if Stefan had his way, he'd probably rather feature Heritage or Alcoa ... but overall, do you really believe the Times is biased against Maryville High??

One could make a good argument that at least last week, WB's win over Soddy Daisy was the biggest local football story. I mean ... you knew Alcoa would beat CAK and you knew Maryville would breeze through Clinton...and of course Heritage lost ... but Blount posts a huge win vs Soddy Daisy and gets page four of the Daily Times Sports section. Greenback (not in the county) got page one along with Maryville top headline and Alcoa. I believe us William Blount folk could make a good argument that at least on that paticular weekend, we got shafted by the Times.

John Brice is definitely biased against William Blount. Who knows, maybe he is against Maryville as well???

Have to disagree guys.  From a lifer in these parts, Maryville has always been the primary focus of the The Daily Times sports department.  Sure, if Stefan had his way, he'd probably rather feature Heritage or Alcoa ... but overall, do you really believe the Times is biased against Maryville High??

One could make a good argument that at least last week, WB's win over Soddy Daisy was the biggest local football story.  I mean ... you knew Alcoa would beat CAK and you knew Maryville would breeze through Clinton...and of course Heritage lost ... but Blount posts a huge win vs Soddy Daisy and gets page four of the Daily Times Sports section.  Greenback (not in the county) got page one along with Maryville top headline and Alcoa.  I believe us William Blount folk could make a good argument that at least on that paticular weekend, we got shafted by the Times.

John Brice is definitely biased against William Blount.  Who knows, maybe he is against Maryville as well???

825744369[/snapback]

I must have not made myself very clear. I don't believe the papers to be biased against the Rebels. How could they be? The compelling stories of MHS championships have helped sell papers over the past few years. I just think that the attention paid to Alcoa has exceeded their accomplishments so far. I think it's weird that they are still so heavily hyped and spoken of with such great fervor after the thrashing they received at the hands of the Rebels.

Not many were as excited as me to see the Govs win last week. I hope they only lose one game this year and that one to MHS. It's great that they have something to get coverage of in the paper in a positive way. Last time I remember them making a big Daily Times spread was something about "the four horsemen" and that didn't turn out too well...

it is only a plus that we are playing at home against heritage, and the only benefit is that all the students will be there because if it was at heritage we wouldn't even waste the gas to drive to see us kill heritage they have never been and never will be in our league, for as many guys they have at their school they are a pathetic 5a team this is basically our 4th jamboree game well i hope everyone enjoys the game and none of the dumbasses from heritage take their beatin to hard its just a game for yall

I must have not made myself very clear. I don't believe the papers to be biased against the Rebels. How could they be? The compelling stories of MHS championships have helped sell papers over the past few years. I just think that the attention paid to Alcoa has exceeded their accomplishments so far. I think it's weird that they are still so heavily hyped and spoken of with such great fervor after the thrashing they received at the hands of the Rebels.

Not many were as excited as me to see the Govs win last week. I hope they only lose one game this year and that one to MHS. It's great that they have something to get coverage of in the paper in a positive way. Last time I remember them making a big Daily Times spread was something about "the four horsemen" and that didn't turn out too well...

825744537[/snapback]

Papa,

You must promise to never bring up that "four horsemen" thing again. A certain coach "who shall remain nameless" helped to engineer that particular piece of propaganda. I believe he's somewhere in Norway now coaching his son on a semi-pro team.

My thoughts on the game.

Offense looked good at times but other times it looked awful. Too many mistakes by the offense tonight. I also think Heritage had the best defense Maryville has seen so far. To be a championship type team this offense needs to get better. The tools are there. If the offense doesn't get better the Rebels could have a good shot of losing to teams like Powell,William Blount and Central. Two bright spots on offense were Ryan Tallent and Tyler Maples. Both of those young men are great players.

Defense was awesome. I know Heritage isn't very good on offense but the defense was great. In all the years I have watched Rebel football this has to be the most athletic front 7 I have seen at Maryville. Anthony Jackson was awesome tonight. I never saw a better set of defensive tackles than what Maryville has this year. Josh Smith and Gary Tucker were outstanding. The linebackers are playing well. Great to see Lawhon and Valentine back. The greatest surprise is the emergence of Landon Hall. Hall has played very well.

Heritage has definately got better the last few years. Heritage had a good defense. Their offense needs to improve or they may not win another game.

Papa,

You must promise to never bring up that "four horsemen" thing again.  A certain coach "who shall remain nameless" helped to engineer that particular piece of propaganda.  I believe he's somewhere in Norway now coaching his son on a semi-pro team.

825744847[/snapback]

Govman:

You are right on with that 4 horse thing, that was a mess. Still laugh about that some time to time, but will not bring it up. I do agree with Papa when he said;

"I just think that the attention paid to Alcoa has exceeded their accomplishments so far. I think it's weird that they are still so heavily hyped and spoken of with such great fervor after the thrashing they received at the hands of the Rebels. And who have they reall beat. This fulton is not the Fulton of years past IMO.

Hey, I heard a bad rumor that WB was planning on charging $5.00 to park for the WB game this year, any truth to that? If so what gives?

I was at the game last night. Maryville O-line and defensive line are great, Tucker, Evans and Smith are worth worth the price of admission. They are carring the offense and defense at this time. Hunt looked OK but he will get better as the season goes on. Heritage defense did a great job of stoping the run. The Linebackers led by Davis did a great job of stoping the run.

If Coach Rewis plans on contending in any more games this year, he is going to have to play some seniors two ways on offense and defense. You cannot win if you cannot score. He is to talented on defense not to play some of the seniors on offense. GQ has alot of his studs playing both ways this year to make his team better. Coach Rewis has done a great job at Heritage, but he is not deep enough in talent to play them one way. Davis and Sceany should play some in the backfield, Caughhorn, Young, and Shelton should be helping out on the O-line.

it is only a plus that we are playing at home against heritage, and the only benefit is that all the students will be there because if it was at heritage we wouldn't even waste the gas to drive to see us kill heritage  they have never been and never will be in our league,  for as many guys they have at their school they are a pathetic 5a team  this is basically our 4th jamboree game  well i hope everyone enjoys the game and none of the dumbasses from heritage take their beatin to hard  its just a game for yall

825744557[/snapback]

do you even play football? did'nt think so. so keep downing heritage it's ok like that really hurts the teams feelings. you should just stick to politics mr. republican dave!

Govman:

You are right on with that 4 horse thing, that was a mess.  Still laugh about that some time to time, but will not bring it up.  I do agree with Papa when he said;

"I just think that the attention paid to Alcoa has exceeded their accomplishments so far. I think it's weird that they are still so heavily hyped and spoken of with such great fervor after the thrashing they received at the hands of the Rebels.  And who have they reall beat.  This fulton is not the Fulton of years past IMO. 

Hey, I heard a bad rumor that WB was planning on charging $5.00 to park for the WB game this year, any truth to that?  If so what gives?

825745678[/snapback]

I haven't heard anything about charging for parking. I can't imagine that happening. They do have the Marvin Boring Scholarship dinner planned for that night I think, and it's $5.00 per ticket...but obviously optional for those who wish to attend. They have also roped off an area for "booster club" parking ... I'm not sure what you have to do to qualify for that.

Soddy Daisy is the only place I've been to where you actually have to pay to park on the high school campus. Of course, if a church or business close by wants to charge for parking, I guess that is their perogative. I know New Prov always uses the money they raise for missions work. I noticed that a couple of business' close by MHS were charging for parking last Friday night. Have they been doing that for awhile?

If I were up at Laurel Bank Baptist (adjoining WB campus) I'd sure probably use the Maryville game as a fund raiser for the youth group, missions, etc. I might not even have a problem if the school wanted to accept "parking donations" but I don't like the idea of requiring someone to pay on school property.

I agree with you Govman. The first time we went to Soddy Daisy we had to pay to park and my wife was on cruches and they wouldn't let us park in the handicap area even though we had a permit. Got that straightened out though. We gotta go back down there later in the year and I'm not sure if I will go for that reason. Naw I'll be there if something doesn't bend or break.