MUS Vs. CBHS

brooks45

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CBHS secondary was very porous in the MBA game (MBA QB Howe had his most yards of the year that night), and offensively did very little, save for a 97-yard TD run by Harris which gave CBHS a brief lead.

Parity, rivalries, etc. - most games in this league are not gimmes. I'm surprised, too, but with rivalries, you never know.

Thanks for the info, RollRed.

I guess it just goes to show-- teams must show and "bring it," EVERY game. If not, then they're likely gonna' a 1st class beat-down!

RollRed, looks like your MBA squad has kinda' pulled itself up off the canvas and is playing much better football, overall. I imagine that ya'll are itching for another shot at MUS, huh?

Good luck the rest of the way...I must tell you, though--I'm a 100% diehard fan of Memphis HS football.

I was at the game, and all I can say is that Cannon Smith might just be the best high school quarterback in Memphis. That kid is amazing, and why he hasn't been starting all year for CBHS is beyond me.

If he grows some between now and next year, look for him to be playing somewhere on Saturdays after he graduates.

Congratulations to Coach Locastro and the Purple Wave. They played an excellent, mistake free game and made the plays when it counted. MUS put themselves in position to win the game by putting the brothers on their own 18 late , but when CBHS drives 82 yards into the wind on almost 10 plays in the last 3 minutes you have to give them a lot of credit and just admit you got beat by players making plays.

Mosby was very disruptive and I think he affected the MUS passing game -they blitzed him on almost every pass in the 2nd half and I think it eliminated the big play for the Owls with the exception of one long pass to Prokell where he made a juggling catch.

I think this will be a good gut check for the Owls as it proves again that if you don't bring your A game you can get beat.

Congratulations to Coach Locastro and the Purple Wave. They played an excellent, mistake free game and made the plays when it counted. MUS put themselves in position to win the game by putting the brothers on their own 18 late , but when CBHS drives 82 yards into the wind on almost 10 plays in the last 3 minutes you have to give them a lot of credit and just admit you got beat by players making plays.

Mosby was very disruptive and I think he affected the MUS passing game -they blitzed him on almost every pass in the 2nd half and I think it eliminated the big play for the Owls with the exception of one long pass to Prokell where he made a juggling catch.

I think this will be a good gut check for the Owls as it proves again that if you don't bring your A game you can get beat.

Dude, why are you up at 7:07 in the morning writing on this god forsaken website?

Edited by vols2587

Prediction: MUS 24 CBHS 7

I believe that MUS will win because it has a great PASSING game, coupled with the ability to run the ball. .

I saw CBHS defeat Melrose. CBHS has a good RUN defense, but does NOT defend the pass well--its pass defense needs a LOT of work! Plus, its offense is not that much more balanced than Melrose's ONE DIMENSIONAL (run) offense... Incedentally, CBHS' lone score vs Melrose came off a short field, due to a Melrose botched punt.

Consider this: CBHS shut down Melrose (for 3 full quarters) because Melrose did NOT have a passing game, AT ALL!!! CBHS (and EVERYBODY else) knew this, going into that game! Therefore, it stacked 7 or 8 guys in the box and DARED Melrose to beat it via the PASS. Predictably, Melrose's QB's couldn't throw an accurate pass into an ocean--they had receivers WIDE open, but simply could not throw an accurate pass (not even close), even when NOT under duress! Melrose simply could not RUN or Pass, most of the night.

PASS defense AWOL: In the 4th Qtr vs. CBHS, Melrose switched to last year's starting QB, began running a SPREAD offense....it suddenly EXPOSED CHBS' weak pass defense. Madison (who is NOT known as a great passer, by ANY stretch of the imagination) came into the game and promptly shredded up CBHS' secondary like it was swiss cheese, as he completed pass after pass... Melrose drove deep into the red zone, but countless penalties and turnovers doomed its chances...Plus, Melrose had a 4th QTR punt return called back, due to a penalty.

SUMMARY: CBHS survived Melrose. It will NOT survive MUS..... CBHS will NOT be able to "stack the box" against MUS! MUS is more disciplined, balanced and has a better kicking game than Melrose. CBHS simply will not be able to contend and keep pace.

NOTE: Based on its performances so far, I agree-- Melrose is not the best TEAM in Memphis! Sure, Melrose likely has more talent and overall team speed than most squads; it takes MORE than that to win BIG games vs. quality opponents, though.

Hate to say it, but CBHS's defense is over all very solid. Pass coverage has improved exponetially now that we've changed some of our secondary plays. In addition, CBHS did not prepare for the Melrose Spread Offense, it prepared to shut down Graig Cooper, which they more than did.