Should Top Teams in the State Play other top programs

rigger101

Well I guess most of us will all disagree about this, but 'if' you want to wind up in the national rankings you play better teams. R'dales trip to Ohio was expensive and it took the team out of school for a couple of days, but they are now 18th in the nation in the PrepNation poll. Plus we get the advantage of seeing some out of state dollars coming here next year. I guess it boils down to what your program wants to do and how much confidence in its ability to win against unknowns.

There is the added advantage that now some Ohio fans know that Tennessee CAN play football!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess most of us will all disagree about this, but 'if' you want to wind up in the national rankings you play better teams. R'dales trip to Ohio was expensive and it took the team out of school for a couple of days, but they are now 18th in the nation in the PrepNation poll. Plus we get the advantage of seeing some out of state dollars coming here next year. I guess it boils down to what your program wants to do and how much confidence in its ability to win against unknowns.

There is the added advantage that now some Ohio fans know that Tennessee CAN play football!

Thats what I'm talking about. Get that OH money!

Maryville does not have to travel 5-6 hours to play good 5A football teams. Some of you make it sound like there is not a team worthy to step on the field against Maryville that exists in the state, or in 5-6 hours drive. Oak Ridge is a 5-6 hour jog from Maryville, but by bus is only about 40 minutes or so. I would pay double the price of admission to watch Oak Ridge and Maryville play in a regular season game. And D-B is only 2 hours from Maryville.

Until Maryville steps up to 5A, they can never legitimately claim to be the best team in the state.

People who think like you still think 5A is so much better than 4A. And the jealousy and haltered of a group of kids playing a game is astounding. Brand new posters day after day sing the same ole song. This only means your not registering with CoachT with your real name every time you change screen names to sing the same old song, "Maryville" is not respected because they don't play 5A. Hogwash! 5A is not any better than 4A in the vast majority of schools.

I don't think Maryville is the best in the state, because I watch them every week and know what their weaknesses are, up to my knowledge ability.

I will say this; on any given day one team can beat another. Secondly, over the past 5-6 years there has been no team regardless of classification that Maryville could not have competed with. Win? One would ever know for sure.

I would love to see the new clinic bowl become a showcase for big-time, non-traditional rivals from all over the state (Riverdale, MBA, BA, Maryville, Brentwood HS, Germantown, etc.). Not the same teams every year, because then it wouldn't be special. Also, if someone like Maryville came and played in Nashville, it would give middle tennesseans a chance to see them play. It would be a huge event for TN HS football...maybe bigger than the BC bowl.

I would love to see the new clinic bowl become a showcase for big-time, non-traditional rivals from all over the state (Riverdale, MBA, BA, Maryville, Brentwood HS, Germantown, etc.). Not the same teams every year, because then it wouldn't be special. Also, if someone like Maryville came and played in Nashville, it would give middle tennesseans a chance to see them play. It would be a huge event for TN HS football...maybe bigger than the BC bowl.

I guess we all have are own wish list.

I know some of the top programs in the State have stepped up and are showing why they are considered the best. It does take some courage to take the chance of getting beat by an equal or superior team. MBA took a Chance and came out on the short-end this time. Riverdale traveled and has made a name for their self in the Countries top 20 and next year when the OH team comes to Riverdale I'm sure the gates will $$$$$$.

Lets not make this a attack/defend topic for Maryville but keep on the merits of the game.

I know the Chattanooga area tried this at their new Stadium a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it was succesful or not.

Would like to get some feedback on it.

People who think like you still think 5A is so much better than 4A. And the jealousy and haltered of a group of kids playing a game is astounding. Brand new posters day after day sing the same ole song. This only means your not registering with CoachT with your real name every time you change screen names to sing the same old song, "Maryville" is not respected because they don't play 5A. Hogwash! 5A is not any better than 4A in the vast majority of schools.

I don't think Maryville is the best in the state, because I watch them every week and know what their weaknesses are, up to my knowledge ability.

I will say this; on any given day one team can beat another. Secondly, over the past 5-6 years there has been no team regardless of classification that Maryville could not have competed with. Win? One would ever know for sure.

Do you have Boise State Syndrome?

Maryville probably could have competed against the best teams. But they didn't.

Some top programs in TN have stepped out of their comfort zone and played other top programs in the State and have traveled or invited other top teams in the Nation to play at their stadium.

Is this good for TN Football and should a power like Maryville try to do the same?

I've gotta give it to ya rigger , your obsession is impressive . A very subtle but yet another attempt at attacking Maryville . geez man get over it . It's hilarious how hard your trying to find things to take shots at Maryville with . Your jealousy comes shining through every time you even mention Maryville's name . To people like you , it doesn't matter what Maryville does , you'll try to look for something negative to say . If i was you , i'd use a little bit more of your time and energy thinking about Oak Ridge & Ootlewah . I'M SORRY THAT YOUR TEAM HAS NO HISTORY OR TRADITION IN FOOTBALL ! It's not Maryville's fault .

I've gotta give it to ya rigger , your obsession is impressive . A very subtle but yet another attempt at attacking Maryville . geez man get over it . It's hilarious how hard your trying to find things to take shots at Maryville with . Your jealousy comes shining through every time you even mention Maryville's name . To people like you , it doesn't matter what Maryville does , you'll try to look for something negative to say . If i was you , i'd use a little bit more of your time and energy thinking about Oak Ridge & Ootlewah . I'M SORRY THAT YOUR TEAM HAS NO HISTORY OR TRADITION IN FOOTBALL ! Yeah, your right as always! Ken Sparks couldn't coach and Bill Bates couldn't play! It's not Maryville's fault .

pep> I THINK YOU HAVE AN OBSESSION WITH ME! Stay on the subject. I don't know if your too old to figure out you were wrong or just hard headed.

You have incorrectly accused me of making statements about the Maryville program. I asked you to show me where, I said the Farragut Defense is better or equal to Maryville. You didn't and can't. So go back, figure out who did, and make these claims and attacks on them.

Again, Maryville has a great football program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you see, opinions vary from Memphis to Bristol. It's a topic not an attack on Maryville. Get over your self.

PS- I think you’re mad because I got the last word in before they closed down the Maryville/Central topic.

Edited by rigger101