WHAT MAKES ALCOA SO GOOD?

BUC4LIFE

This question is meant with no disrespect but how do Alcoa/Maryville view each other as communities?

I been to games at both High Schools and it is a great High School Football experience!

However, driving through the two communities, I see the're different. Alcoa seams to be a former industrial town on the decline with it fortunes tied to Alcoa plant.

Maryville seams to be a well to do community that has grow around the Maryville College and is the place that most folks want to live.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "That it looks like Maryville views Alcoa as the other side of the tracks!"

I could be wrong and I'm not trying to start any kind of bashing.

I have wondered about this question since moving to Knoxville area 5 years ago and watching my first Alcoa/Maryville game.

Good luck to both Teams on their hunt for another Gold Ball! :thumb::):P

The majority of Maryville fans i know pull for Alcoa every week but one . I think it's the same way for the majority of Alcoa fans . We may bicker and fight among each other a lot , but there's a lot of mutual respect .

As far as the social scene , it's probably not for this board , but i think your description is way too general .... there's poor people in both communities as well as rich in both ..... but mostly in between . I hear lots of people around Blount co call Maryville " the rich school " .... well myself and my 3 brothers went there , and we weren't even close to being rich ( except in personality of course .. right rigger ) :)

Edited by pepvol

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of Maryville fans i know pull for Alcoa every week but one . I think it's the same way for the majority of Alcoa fans . We may bicker and fight among each other a lot , but there's a lot of mutual respect .

As far as the social scene , it's probably not for this board , but i think your description is way to general .... there's poor people in both communities as well as rich in both ..... but mostly in between . I hear lots of people around Blount co call Maryville " the rich school " .... well myself and my 3 brothers went there , and we weren't even close to being rich ( except in personality of course .. right rigger ) :thumb:

Correct! As I said, I really enjoyed going to both Schools to watch the games. I travel to and thru those areas sometimes and think that both are great communities. I don't know of another area in TN that has had the Football sucess that area has had. I also like the fact that when you drive into the two towns you see on their signs that the Schools have been State Champions.

Correct! As I said, I really enjoyed going to both Schools to watch the games. I travel to and thru those areas sometimes and think that both are great communities. I don't know of another area in TN that has had the Football sucess that area has had. I also like the fact that when you drive into the two towns you see on their signs that the Schools have been State Champions.

My brother works for the city of Maryville , that's one of his jobs is changing those signs ... he stays pretty busy ... gonna have to start making those signs a lot bigger or start listing the championship years in very fine print !! hehe :thumb:

My brother works for the city of Maryville , that's one of his jobs is changing those signs ... he stays pretty busy ... gonna have to start making those signs a lot bigger or start listing the championship years in very fine print !! hehe :)

:P:thumb:B) Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's great for Community pride. Farragut wouldn't do it for the Ads National Championship in Soccer or anything else. :)

Small communities do have their advantages!

:P:thumb::) Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's great for Community pride. Farragut wouldn't do it for the Ads National Championship in Soccer or anything else. :)

Small communities do have their advantages!

I was at Farragut last weekend to watch my wife's nephew play pee wee ... Thought the baseball field was awesome ... not sure if Football gets the same support as baseball there ... maybe this successful season in football this year will change that some .

I was at Farragut last weekend to watch my wife's nephew play pee wee ... Thought the baseball field was awesome ... not sure if Football gets the same support as baseball there ... maybe this successful season in football this year will change that some .

Nope! When the Reviez boys graduate, it will probably go back to a mediocre record like the one's they had in the past. IMO and others, without new Coaching blood at the top, it want change.

The soccer team was in the same situation until the changed coaches and within 2 years, they were National Champs. IMO The same thing could happen to Farragut if they would get a Coach with the same skills as a Maryville Coach.

who are the other possible D1 players alcoa has besides lindsay, warren , and the QB goin to louisville?

Seniors: Dustin Lindsey, UT committment

Brandon Warren, FSU committment

Joei Fiegler, interest from Louisville, NC State, Indiana, and others

Martin White, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, others

Juniors: Rae Sykes, interest from LSU and many others

Kyrus Lanxter, offer from Louisville, interest from many others

Sophs: Brian Sommers, interest from South Carolina, and others

These are the players I'm aware of. There could be others.

As far as the social scene , it's probably not for this board , but i think your description is way too general .... there's poor people in both communities as well as rich in both ..... but mostly in between . I hear lots of people around Blount co call Maryville " the rich school " .... well myself and my 3 brothers went there , and we weren't even close to being rich ( except in personality of course .. right rigger ) :thumb:

For myself its kinda like having a brother. I can poke fun of him and wrestle with him, but if someone else does it you better watch out.

I think the Alcoa/Maryville thing is similar to that. Maryville can get after Alcoa and Alcoa can get after Maryville, but if someone else does it you better watch out.

Agreed the social scene is for another discussion and the comparison should not be made. Both towns are seeing an increase in population and commercial activity. Just happens that Maryville has historically been the larger city. First class people are in both cities and unfortunately both places have their share of not so good people as well (just like everyone else).

Is Alcoa a magnet school? Are there other schools that suffer in that area because their best athletes go to Alcoa? This is why I started the thread. To discuss how they do it. What are they doing that the rest of us should be doing? Do they have an advantage the rest of us do not have?

No they won't. You know why? History. No AA champion has repeated since <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> did it in the late 80's. So ever since the TSSAA expanded to 5 classes and made two divisions it hasn't been done. So I am going with history on this one, I know many will disagree, but you know what I don't care.

What's up Gerry, Long time no see-- Hows Martin life? Milan almost won back to back in the same class. Milan won it in AA in 98' but then moved to AAA and won it in 99'.

Is Alcoa a magnet school? Are there other schools that suffer in that area because their best athletes go to Alcoa? This is why I started the thread. To discuss how they do it. What are they doing that the rest of us should be doing? Do they have an advantage the rest of us do not have?

Alcoa is not a magnet school. They do accept tuition students and I believe those students currently make up about 25% of the total student body which is maxed out at about 475 students.Some families do choose Alcoa for the athletics but others choose it because of the favorable pupil to teacher ratio and "small school " atmosphere. :D

Edited by Coalman