Best High School Offense

mcfan10

I think if you ask most coaches at some of the most successful programs, to a man, they'll tell you that you can be successful during the regular season if you have a GOOD running game, but, once the playoffs start, you have to be able to throw the football, not only to move the ball, but to keep a good defense honest, so you can set up the run. Sounds simple, but alot of good teams make the playoffs, only to be eliminated because there passing game is only so-so, you usally face alot tougher defense in the latter rounds of the playoffs.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you set your offense to accomodate the athletes you have on your team. if you have a great back and some decent wide-outs and an average qb, i'd take the I over the shotgun any day. if you've got a wealth of talent at wr and a decent/good qb, run the shotgun. however, a lot of teams get in trouble because they run a set that does not highlight their stars.

Wing -T teams are fun to watch when they bravely send out one receiver and hope the QB connects on a pass. Those deadly one-receiver sets just screw up most defensive coaches. Also, since they don't get to practice against passing attacks, the DB's on a wing-T team end up getting eaten alive by passing teams.

However, strictly passing teams are fun to watch if they have the ball inside the 10 and try to figure out how to run block. They'll take a 10 yard penalty just to give themselves room to maneuver.

Wing -T teams are fun to watch when they bravely send out one receiver and hope the QB connects on a pass. Those deadly one-receiver sets just screw up most defensive coaches. Also, since they don't get to practice against passing attacks, the DB's on a wing-T team end up getting eaten alive by passing teams.

However, strictly passing teams are fun to watch if they have the ball inside the 10 and try to figure out how to run block. They'll take a 10 yard penalty just to give themselves room to maneuver.

That's a great comment.

It doesn't matter what offense you run. The key to the whole thing is the offensive line. We all saw what happened to Peyton Manning his first couple of years in the NFL. No line equals no wins. I know this is talking about high school, but the same principal hold true. The line is what makes or breaks a team.

I run the wing-t because it fits my personel. The key to an effective offense is finding one that you can staff on a yearly basis. If you are always going to have big dominating offensive linemen, you should line up in a power I and beat people to death. If you have mor finess linemen and lots of athletes a spread would be better. The key is finding that fit. What offense you run becomes unimportant as long as you do what you do better than they do what they do.