McMinn vs William Blount

bigducky

Wow! After tonights games we sure know alot more about the region. It's not that the GOVS were in a slump it's just the teams they were playing were that good. I knew Maryville and OR were good, but I didn't expect Farragut to be this good. They dominated the Owls. It looks like a showdown between OR and FHS for the #1 seed. I'm going with the home team in that one. Will the Govs get a rematch with Sevier Co. as the #3 seed?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to WB. Came out hard and fought the entire game. That wasn't the same McMinn team we've seen the last few weeks. Played well in spurts but unfortunately made some huge mistakes. Thought the D played extremely well except for a few plays, especially considering WB took over on the short side of the field a couple of times.

If it is any consolation to McMinn, with Ooltewahs loss they probably wouldn't have made the playoffs anyway. I know 5-5 is better than 4-6. But 4-6 is much better than 2-8. Come out and dominate these last two games and end on a positive note.

The special teams play was aweful for the cherokees last night with 2 blocked punts and the punt returners not catching a punt and blont downing it on the one. Someone pointed out to me the punts got blocked because Nigel was only 10 yards deep from the line instead of 14 yds. like you are supposed to be. The team played hard and Trace pretty much carried the team. It is sad to say but it is going to be another losing season for mcminn, yes we got a lot of good young players coming up i just hope they stick around.

The special teams play was aweful for the cherokees last night with 2 blocked punts and the punt returners not catching a punt and blont downing it on the one. Someone pointed out to me the punts got blocked because Nigel was only 10 yards deep from the line instead of 14 yds. like you are supposed to be. The team played hard and Trace pretty much carried the team. It is sad to say but it is going to be another losing season for mcminn, yes we got a lot of good young players coming up i just hope they stick around.

Yep, special teams play last night was bad, just not for the reasons you specified. A miscommunication on a pooch kick resulted in a recovery, and TD, for WB. A fumbled punt return in the 4th resulted in WB last 3 pts. The blocked punts were a result of bad blocking/no blocking up front for McMinn (did you not see the pressure Nigel was under). A lot of teams are getting away from the 14 yard "rule" in high school. Nigel has been at 10 yards all year if anyone was noticing and to my knowledge hadn't gotten one blocked. The punt WB downed on the one was unfortunate but hardly bad play by McMinn. The returners did exactly what they were supposed to do, stand on the 10 yard line and if it goes over your head call a fair catch and run the opposite way. But hard to blame this loss on any one area. I agree with 8BALL, the D shut down WB outside running game, something they didn't do last year. The offense struggle early and put the ball on the ground as well. Throw in some penalties at crucial times and it was a bad all around nite for the Cherokees.

I agree with 27ALLGO to some degree on the special team play that Biglucky1 was referring to. Nigel has done a teriffic job all year with the punting duties and special teams as a whole has done a good job. I think the punt that WB downed @ the one could have been avoided if one of the guys would have called the ball becuase I thought the ball hit @ about the 10 and rolled to the 1. Anyway it does not matter @ this point. But what does matter is that McMinn win the last two games and finish 4-6 becuase that is alot better then 2-8 or 3-7. I believe coach Daugherty and his staff will get the job done we just need to be patient.

And likewise to Farragut!

WOO HOO! GO GOVS! Clinched a playoff spot with this win!

William Blount has not clinched a playoff spot.

Oak Ridge and Farragut have clinched playoff spots.

If Ooltewah beats Oak Ridge and loses to Soddy-Daisy their regional record would be 4-3; If Soddy beats Ooltewah and Farragut they are 4-3; If William Blount loses to Heritage and Bradley they would be 3-4 . Hence Soddy and Ooltewah would be in the play-offs.

Long shot of course, but technically, they have not clinced a play-off spot.

Tribe Fan

William Blount,Heritage and Alcoa are like Maryvilles cousins. We can fight among ourselves but outsiders better leave us alone.

Seriously. I worked with all kinds of Heritage,William Blount and Alcoa fans. We all support each other unless we are playing each other. But! There are a few of those fans who would never root for Maryville. I know people who would root for Satan and the Taliban before they would root for Maryville.