How Are Tackles Calculated In High School?

Are tackles at the high school level calculated differently than they are in the rest of the football world? I have seen some crazy tackle totals for teams that only played around 50 or so defensive downs.

Here is an example of what I mean...

Team-A runs the ball 50 times for 300 yards, is 3-for-9 passing for 30 yards, and scored 4 times. Team-B scores 5 times

Now, by my math, the maximum amount of tackles Team-B could have would be 59.

When a player runs out of bounds for any reason, is the closest player awarded a tackle?

If a player with the ball falls down on his own (just stumbled or falls over his own player) is someone awarded the tackle?

If 2 or more players are in on the same tackle, are all players awarded a full tackle?

Common sense tells me that Team-B can't have 140 tackles in a game with only about 60 opportunities.

Someone tell me where I'm going wrong with my math.

My suspicion is good old fashioned stat-padding.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are tackles at the high school level calculated differently than they are in the rest of the football world? I have seen some crazy tackle totals for teams that only played around 50 or so defensive downs.

Here is an example of what I mean...

Team-A runs the ball 50 times for 300 yards, is 3-for-9 passing for 30 yards, and scored 4 times. Team-B scores 5 times

Now, by my math, the maximum amount of tackles Team-B could have would be 59.

When a player runs out of bounds for any reason, is the closest player awarded a tackle?

If a player with the ball falls down on his own (just stumbled or falls over his own player) is someone awarded the tackle?

If 2 or more players are in on the same tackle, are all players awarded a full tackle?

Common sense tells me that Team-B can't have 140 tackles in a game with only about 60 opportunities.

Someone tell me where I'm going wrong with my math.

My suspicion is good old fashioned stat-padding.

i think assisted tackles count as 1 whole tackle for each player, so if 3 guys tackle a guy they all get a tackle instead of a half a tackle..i dont know about the rest of them...and yes im sure there is plenty of stat padding going along with it as well, or scorekeepers not knowing what they are doing and just giving tackles whenever and wherever

Edited by mnewballer21

i think assisted tackles count as 1 whole tackle for each player, so if 3 guys tackle a guy they all get a tackle instead of a half a tackle..i dont know about the rest of them...and yes im sure there is plenty of stat padding going along with it as well, or scorekeepers not knowing what they are doing and just giving tackles whenever and wherever

So, essentially you could have over 500 tackles by one team in a single game if the whole team jumps in on every tackle. I'm sorry, but giving tackles out like Halloween candy cheapens the accomplishment. They don't do this in college or pros.

I do the stats for Ooltewah and I use Stat Crew software and this what it counts for tackles:

maximum of 3 tacklers per play, 1 Primary & 2 Assists each counting as 1 tackle (no halves)

on plays where the ball carrier runs out of bounds or falls down, the player nearest the carrier gets a tackle (I only count 1)

downed punts and tackles on PAT's don't count for anything

sacks and forced fumbles count as tackles (FF for only 1)

tackles on punts and kickoffs do count.

I hope that this helps answer your questions

Edited by thorough97

I do the stats for Ooltewah and I use Stat Crew software and this what it counts for tackles:

maximum of 3 tacklers per play, 1 Primary & 2 Assists each counting as 1 tackle (no halves)

on plays where the ball carrier runs out of bounds or falls down, the player nearest the carrier gets a tackle (I only count 1)

downed punts and tackles on PAT's don't count for anything

sacks and forced fumbles count as tackles (FF for only 1)

tackles on punts and kickoffs do count.

I hope that this helps answer your questions

It answers the question, but it still doesn't make sense. One play...one ballcarrier...one tackle. If it takes two people to drag down a player, then the tackle should be split. It's almost like a batter swinging and missing a ball in the strike zone and getting 2 strikes called on one pitch.

It answers the question, but it still doesn't make sense. One play...one ballcarrier...one tackle. If it takes two people to drag down a player, then the tackle should be split. It's almost like a batter swinging and missing a ball in the strike zone and getting 2 strikes called on one pitch.

If each tackle was a solo tackle...I would agree. The 1st guy there should get the primary tackle. If he is assisted...others should be credited with the assist.

If each tackle was a solo tackle...I would agree. The 1st guy there should get the primary tackle. If he is assisted...others should be credited with the assist.

Yes, but there still shouldn't be more than one total tackle awarded. It seems that players are being rewarded for hitting a player who, for all intents and purposes, is already tackled. And, along the same lines, if the primary tackler can't get the runner down or out of bounds on his own, why should he be given a full tackle...particularly if the runner lays the wood on the guy and essentially makes him a speed bump.

One kid was complaining about not getting recognition for making tackles in the local paper. I told him, if the ball carrier was going down or was already down and he was in the neighborhood, to run over and fall down on or next to the pile and get up slowly. Lo and behold, the next week he was 3rd on the team in (awarded) tackles. My theory is that often the stat man gives tackles to whoever gets up last.

Tackling statistics are the most inexact, overblown statistic out there.

I, too, have seen kids rack up statistics that seem to count tackles they made in wrap up drills before the kick-off. I know of a county school where the leading tackler each game (with something crazy like 20 tackles a contest) was the same kid each week-and his father kept that stat for the team.

When I recorded tackles for our school, if a Defensive player A took down Offensive player A, he was given a tackle. If it took two players to take him down, they both got an assist, since in my mind, no one player caused the opponent to drop. Gang tackling-only the primary tackler got a tackle-that is first to make visible contact that wrapped up. Second man got an assist, and the third man only got an assist if that player was the "tipping point."

Dive plays into the line tackled by everyone on the front was usually given to the defender over the hole and then an assist by the two closest to him at the play.

We would give our stats to the head coach, who then would amend them after breaking down film.

It is a stat we don't even bother reporting to the paper anymore.

I asked this same question to coaches with the Titans and they say it is the hardest and most widely variable stat they do-and that there is no consistent method from team to team in the NFL.

Tackling statistics are the most inexact, overblown statistic out there.

I, too, have seen kids rack up statistics that seem to count tackles they made in wrap up drills before the kick-off. I know of a county school where the leading tackler each game (with something crazy like 20 tackles a contest) was the same kid each week-and his father kept that stat for the team.

When I recorded tackles for our school, if a Defensive player A took down Offensive player A, he was given a tackle. If it took two players to take him down, they both got an assist, since in my mind, no one player caused the opponent to drop. Gang tackling-only the primary tackler got a tackle-that is first to make visible contact that wrapped up. Second man got an assist, and the third man only got an assist if that player was the "tipping point."

Dive plays into the line tackled by everyone on the front was usually given to the defender over the hole and then an assist by the two closest to him at the play.

We would give our stats to the head coach, who then would amend them after breaking down film.

It is a stat we don't even bother reporting to the paper anymore.

I asked this same question to coaches with the Titans and they say it is the hardest and most widely variable stat they do-and that there is no consistent method from team to team in the NFL.

Good post.

I, too, am suspicious of those 20+ tackles per game efforts...particularly when a player gets over 20 tackles and only plays the first half due to a blowout.

I've got a rhetorical question...Why even count tackles during the game if the coaches are going to audit the film and adjust the count?

I believe that there is some serious stat padding going on in the reported tackles area. Maybe trying to help a certain player catch up with players ahead of him as reported to the Tennessean. Only problem is that the players out in front are getting insane numbers, too.

Do those of you who score tackles and sacks do it from the both? If so this would explain why the kids who play on the opposite side of the press box get less tackles. I've noticed this factor for years.

Also why doesn’t the T$$AA post stats on every team in the state.

I think there are many of kids who make key plays, who never get any press or get over looked for their good plays because of many factors.

Good thread