Hillwood

hillwoodtopper55

After suffering through a couple games and many players quitting Hillwood refused to give up. Right now Hillwood is sitting with probably 30 something players in 5a, and many sophomores playing quite a bit. They lost alot of games, but have not given up. 2 weeks ago, after coming all but close in the previous games, Hillwood pulled it together and gave Glencliff a really good game that came down to the wire. The next week they totally dominated Antioch in all aspects of the game, but Antioch capitalized on about 2 or 3 big plays, which helped them capture their first lead of the game and the win with a touch down in overtime. Hillwood might read 1-8 in the record books, but they still fight, and could pull off a major upset thursday night against Overton!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Hillwood players that stayed deserve aq lot of credit for not quitting. Wish I could say the same for thier coaches.

Ditto-- to the Antioch players, you have had to overcome your coach all season.Never has so much talent been wasted.

Keep in mind that you don't know the situation at AHS. Neither do I, for the most part, so I can't comment, but I know the guys coaching them and they are good coaches. Sometimes things just don't gel and sometimes the LACK of heart and desire of the players can overcome good coaching. Coaches aren't magicians. More important than good coaching is the desire of the players to BE coached. I know a few of the kids on that team (ones they count on) and I can tell you for a fact that anyone would have trouble coaching that team if they are all like the ones I know.

Yes, it was a fun game to watch! The players came out with a lot of energy and gave it all they had. If it were not for a couple of silly offensive plays called at the wrong time....who knows what could have happened. It has been a long season for the team and especially the seniors.....if they play with that much heart again on Thurs...regardless of the outcome, they can and should walk off the field with their heads held high! Good luck Toppers!

Hillwood was defintely the better team Friday night. Take away one terrible decision by an inexperienced sophmore quarterback right before half-time and Antioch is 5-4. For whatever reasons those guys quit, forget about them. Players quitting at Hillwood is nothing new. I am proud of the guys who have stuck it out. That is character. Even at 12-1 last year, we only dressed about 45. You can sugar-coat it all you want, but you have a bunch of kids over there that aren't interested in being part of a TEAM. There are a bunch walking the hall that talk about how good they are, but either don't have the guts to find out the truth or can't pass three, much less five classes. It is pretty much the same all over Metro. These kids just don't handle adversity well. As long as things are going well, they will talk and strut like a peacock. Lose a couple and they disappear.

There are a bunch walking the hall that talk about how good they are, but either don't have the guts to find out the truth or can't pass three, much less five classes. It is pretty much the same all over Metro. These kids just don't handle adversity well. As long as things are going well, they will talk and strut like a peacock. Lose a couple and they disappear.

AMEN...well said...and I think it's definately that way all over Metro these days.

AMEN...well said...and I think it's definately that way all over Metro these days.

Yeah blame it on the players, that's what a group of lazy metro coaches will always do. Just going to practice is not hard work, but getting something done, and preparing your players with a chance to get better is your job. Do it, and stand up and be an adult. Sumner Co. is glad we have REAL coaches.

Yeah blame it on the players, that's what a group of lazy metro coaches will always do. Just going to practice is not hard work, but getting something done, and preparing your players with a chance to get better is your job. Do it, and stand up and be an adult. Sumner Co. is glad we have REAL coaches.

"Walk a mile in the shoes, then run your trap." There are a lot of guys who think they could do better with less, but then they never put it on the line. Sound familiar?

Hendersonville got beat by 2-7 Glencliff. Obviously great coaching in Sumner County.

Cookeville is definitely glad you took such good care of Coach Joslin up there in nirvana aka. Sumner County as well.

Last year the all-state quarterback for Hillwood didn't even bother to go to practice the day before the quarterfinal game at White House. Yes, he was at school, even after school. Just didn't feel like practicing. Of course, he is now a fifth-year senior.

At McGavock a few years ago, we had seven starters miss practice on Wednesday of Homecoming week because they went to the powder-puff football games instead. Yeah, just lazy coaches blaming it on players. Whatever, weasel.